GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

rough idle and burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 09:56 PM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbeermann
Just got my car back for this issue and would like to share my experience. Hope it helps someone going through the same issue:

2006 GS300, no CSP letter.

Second owner, car had upwards of 190k on it. I noticed my oil consumption was getting progressively worse and got to a point where I was burning 1Qt/400 miles. I researched the heck of out of the rough idle CSP before going to the dealer.

Brought my car in, upon diagnosis my piston rings are fried. They could see it burning oil in idle. However, my car was idling nice and steady. Recommended I do an oil consumption test and bring back in 1200 miles.

Brought car back after 400 miles, down 1 quart. I told them there is no way I could wait 1200 miles. Confirm oil consumption. Idle still steady. Top off oil and ask me to bring back in a week.

Bring e car in again, still nothing. It was pretty cold out the past couple days, and. I did see r idle bouncing around a bit. They were trying to recreate, but it needed to occur long enough for their computers to capture it. Asked to keep car overnight.

Next day, still no resolution. I pick my car up and asked to bring it back in a couple weeks.

At this point, I bring it back, but we contact higher level management. They are willing to help, but need to do another oil consumption test. I agree and bring back the car after a week or so.

Get the car approved for repair under the CSP. They highly recommended I change out the spark plugs, motor/tranny mounts, do a rear differential service, and change out my filters. I give them the green light. No labor charges since the engine will be out. Came out to just under $1k.

They find out that my block is scarred from the bad piston rings. Instead of just replacing rings, they also give me a whole new engine block. $7500 retail.

After about 500 miles, runs like a dream. Engine is much smoother/tighter feeling, gas mileage has increased (before getting around 20mpg, now 24mpg) and no oil consumption.

I would highly recommend finding the best service tech at your local dealership and take care of him. These are the guys going up to bat for you when it comes to getting these CSPs approved.

Can you please let me know which dealer you went to for this? I have the exact same issue - my cylinder walls are scarred causing loss of compression. I burn a qt every 100 miles or so, and have awful smoking issues. Cat's are clogging and the car runs like crap. All this is after the pistons and rings were replaced - the dealer wants to charge me $13k for a new block. I would love to hear your thoughts on the process with your dealer as well as how you were able to get them to rectify the situation. Lexus Corporate Customer Care has been less than helpful as well.

thanks,

Ryan
Old 05-08-14, 06:33 PM
carnut007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 IS 350 with excessive oil consumption. Started noticing at about 90,000 miles, with 1 qt added after 2500 miles. Now up to 118,000 miles & now needs 1 qt very 1000 miles. Noticed blue smoke from exhaust on cold startup...Does anyone have any suggestions? (Note this is NOT a 250). Thanks!
Old 05-09-14, 04:59 AM
UCF3
Rookie

not really sure. It sounds like you have a headgasket leak or some other oil leak. I believe the IS350 was on the list so I'd at least have the dealer inspect for the CSP.
Old 07-19-14, 10:50 AM
Dcisnero33
Driver School Candidate

Default Oil

Originally Posted by grandsport
New to the club, signed up because looking for info on my "new" used GS. Have it a few months and it was fine. Now i am getting check engine light and a stumble every now and then. I also used a quart of oil the last 1000 miles. The car only has 70k on it and it was a one owner, dealer maintained car. Anyone point me in the right direction? freaking out. Also live on Long Island, who would you trust to look at it.

Thanks
I had the same problem with a 2001 Toyota corolla. I just bought me a 2014 250 is. RW. You see the dealer wants you to change the oil every 10,000 . Well I disagree, synthenic or not no Oil should go past 6,000 or 7,000. You mentioned vehicle was maintained by the dealer? Well I don't trust dealer , they may use conventional oil and charge you for synthenic. I always stick to pennzoil ultra or Mobil 1. I don't go past 7,000. I also use Lucas synthenic oil. When the oil looses it viscosity it damages the rings and seal. This is why is consuming 1 quart every 1,000 mikes. 70,000 that engine should be new inside, try buying your own oil and filter take it to a mechanic and do 3 straight 5,000 oil changes. Keep an eye on the oil see if it gets dirty. Never trust the dealer, who knows what they use.
Old 07-21-14, 01:47 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to the so called recall done but I still feel car shake a bit while im at a red light, I usually shift the car in neutral to not feel it smh, would love to really know why it does this
Old 07-22-14, 08:34 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mr3gs300
I had to the so called recall done but I still feel car shake a bit while im at a red light, I usually shift the car in neutral to not feel it smh, would love to really know why it does this
Carbon buildup on the valves, mine did this a lot - this was before the most recent warranty about the rings came about - they did a top engine clean and replaced my valve springs at the time and it has been fine ever since. I never did get the new warranty work done and I am running out of time, nobody here has been very helpful about it they all insist they won't touch it until I bring it in with check engine light on showing misfires. Of course, since they previously did the bandaid engine clean things are still relatively clean in there and I haven't driven nearly enough to gum up the works again.

I've been using amsoil in the car for the last several years, I have no idea if it makes any difference or not I just use it so I don't have to worry about the oil for a year - I only drive like 2,000 miles a year anyway. If it is burning oil I will probably never know.

So I think I'm out of luck on getting the rings done on my car... I try not to worry about it too much since it seems fine but I would have greater peace of mind if I could just get the work done... my car will have been in service for 9 years as of September I think so that's the end of the line for this car ever getting that service done.
Old 07-23-14, 09:18 AM
warandcar
Lead Lap

so is this only affect the GS300 or does it affect any other models-- 350 430 460?
thaks
Old 08-19-14, 09:37 PM
vincentwc
Driver School Candidate

so I have an 06 gs300
I recently took it in about a month ago to get it serviced for the misfire so they replaced my pistons or whatever, whatever it got recalled for
Today I noticed that my oil maintenance lit up, (changed my oil like 2-3k miles ago....) and I have been noticing some rough idling, but I kinda ignored it.
Should I really be concerned? I'm gonna call Lexus tomorrow to see what the deal is.
Old 08-20-14, 06:12 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vincentwc
so I have an 06 gs300
I recently took it in about a month ago to get it serviced for the misfire so they replaced my pistons or whatever, whatever it got recalled for
Today I noticed that my oil maintenance lit up, (changed my oil like 2-3k miles ago....) and I have been noticing some rough idling, but I kinda ignored it.
Should I really be concerned? I'm gonna call Lexus tomorrow to see what the deal is.
Ouch... definitely should not be happening after that service and you should be covered for whatever it is.
Old 12-07-14, 09:37 AM
Niktak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Not every one will have this problem. Long story short: if your oil light comes on between oil changes then you have a problem. What will usually happen is the dealer will top off to proper level then mark the dipsyick and ask you to drive 1000 miles and return so that they can check the level against the mark. This is verification of excessive oil consumption.

The other issues are related to engine codes coupled with rough running/idle. If you have either of these then a dealer visit to get the ball rolling is in your best interest. Reports are that many are getting this done at no cost to them. You won't know until you try.
Every single 2006 gs300 will have this problem, and even after it has been "fixed" it's going to happen again due to the intake valves not being washed by incoming fuel. The design of the engine is a poor design and shouldn't have never been put out to production and sold to anybody.
Old 12-08-14, 08:29 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm burning through 1.5-2 quarts of oil in 1000 miles. i went to the rallye lexus dealership to have the excessive oil consumption test done. they returned my car after a few days and told me it's a cracked timing case cover and that it'll cost $3000 to repair. so i went to an independent mechanic and he said there's no cracks on the timing case cover. if there was then the area all around the front of the engine would be covered in oil at the rate of consumption my engine is doing. he told me i need to call lexus corporate and really try to argue my case. has anyone else had this same problem and had to fight lexus to do it with success?

my car has just over 135k miles right now
Old 12-08-14, 10:23 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gridlock13
i'm burning through 1.5-2 quarts of oil in 1000 miles. i went to the rallye lexus dealership to have the excessive oil consumption test done. they returned my car after a few days and told me it's a cracked timing case cover and that it'll cost $3000 to repair. so i went to an independent mechanic and he said there's no cracks on the timing case cover. if there was then the area all around the front of the engine would be covered in oil at the rate of consumption my engine is doing. he told me i need to call lexus corporate and really try to argue my case. has anyone else had this same problem and had to fight lexus to do it with success?

my car has just over 135k miles right now
Did you not get the CSP letter regarding engine misfire for the 2006 GS 300? We've been blathering on about this for years now...
Old 12-08-14, 10:57 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLive
Did you not get the CSP letter regarding engine misfire for the 2006 GS 300? We've been blathering on about this for years now...
nope didn't receive the letter. i did a lot of research about this issue on the forum and found out my car's VIN doesn't fall within the category that lexus say is affected. i don't see why only certain 300s are affected when they all used the same motor.
Old 12-08-14, 11:42 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gridlock13
nope didn't receive the letter. i did a lot of research about this issue on the forum and found out my car's VIN doesn't fall within the category that lexus say is affected. i don't see why only certain 300s are affected when they all used the same motor.
And then I've heard from dealers "everyone got the letter". And then I took it to the dealer to have them check out the misfire and the service advisor said "I don't need to see the letter. Your car is older than 9 years, it'll cost you $6,300 to fix your engine."

The reason I got a Lexus and not a BMW/Benz/Audi was to drive my car for 200K plus and NOT have massive service issues like this.
Old 05-17-15, 03:16 AM
DziubekR6
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys,

I am new here so hello to everyone

I am thinking to buy GS300 2006-2007 but I see that many people have got issues with this engine. I wanted to ask you if it was finally fixed somehow by Lexus ? Does it affect only 2006 models or 2007-2008 can have exactly the same issue ? If there is some new version of this engine, free of those problems, how can I evetually recognise the new type of engine ?

Thank you guys for any opinions.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: rough idle and burning oil