GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

rough idle and burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 06:13 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Boron
Surely if a design issue, then technically it would be a full model recall?
Can you get any of this confirmed in writing from either Lexus themselves or whomever at the dealership informed you?
Burning oil isn't a safety issue, so there is no chance. If it was so bad that it caused the car to dump all of it's oil within a hundred miles and stall on a freeway or something then yeah maybe, but no... a lot of cars burn oil especially after they're a few years old.
Old 07-24-12, 04:34 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh I know a small amount of oil loss through evaporation (NOACK value if you check Amsoil oil specs) is par for the course, but if your piston rings' seal isn't great, then there's blowby occurring and that will see the amount of oil consumed as a highish figure.
That's where an engine flush comes into the frame as a cure/diagnosis measure rather than preventative.
If it still burns oil after, then you know there's a problem.
Old 07-25-12, 12:55 PM
wjohnstone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too

Coincidently, I posted yesterday on Edmunds.com how great my 2006 Lexus GS300 is. On my way home, the low oil light came on for about 10 seconds then went off and never came on again. At the daycare, I checked and was horrified to find the car extremely low on oil. So I went 2 km to a car parts place and threw in two litres of Royal Purple 5-30, for 20 bucks, knowing I was due for an oil change anyway.

I change the oil every 8000km (usually about 6500km), but never had the warning light before. So I am left wondering if this problem is getting worse or I went long enough between oil changes for the level to show up low. I never checked the oil, never thought I would have to in a lexus. As I posted on another forum, I've owned several notoriously unreliable North American built cars, some with really high mileage, and never have I burnt a drop of oil. I had a 1979 boat with valves that sounded like a jackhammer that didn't burn oil, so I never even considered thinking about checking the oil on my GS.

Anyway, I contacted my closest Lexus dealer (300km away) and they are sending me an oil consumption test paper for me to complete. I had Toyota change the oil today and note the oil was full. The service manager said he heard that Lexus might be coming good for this since it is a known issue but could not guarantee that they are or will for my car. Upon reading some of you who are also out of warranty getting your car repaired for free, I understand his caution - they may or may not fix mine.

Anyway, Road Rage a quick question - if I can't get this repaired at an extreme reduced cost, what would be the harm on just running it anyway and let it burn the oil? As long as I track it of course. $5k is a lot to shell out for an issue I can fix with a $6 bottle of oil. And I really don't want to sell this car to someone knowing this issue.

BTW - my car was serviced most of it's life at Lexus, until I brought it up north, but I do have all service records.

So frustrating. I baby this car, it's my first Lexus and I bought it because I heard the Germans were having a hell of a time with electronics.

Oh well. I'll repost as my issue evolves.

Wayne
Old 07-25-12, 03:34 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I posted above - give it a flush with a good product such as BG Products, Liqui Moly, or Motul, if the dealer didn't do a flush.
Funnily enough, until I was talking with my local Lexus dealership, I'd never been aware of main dealers doing flushes, that was always the sort of thing an independent would tend to steer you toward as part of a routine oil change.
Not sure which one is used, but a surprise nonetheless, and can be left off the service if you want to reduce the cost.
It'd have to be sanctioned by Lexus, so my thought is poor ring sealing, which the flush should resolve, before you change to a thicker grade (0W or 5W-40), to reduce oil loss via blow-by.

Still, it's always a good habit to check the oil level once a month or more, rather than rely on the low oil level indicator on the cluster, as often times when that lights up, the engine is already being damaged.
Old 07-26-12, 07:42 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I switched to M1 5w30 from whatever the dealer was putting in there at 80k. I'll be sending a 5k sample to Blackstone for review. I don't believe I have this issue, but its always good to keep on top of it.
Old 07-26-12, 09:24 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

If you guys are burning oil, then it's time to up the oil weight..... let's say, for example, you are running 5w30..... that means you need to run 10w30. This is not a remedy, only a bandaid, so you should have a PROFESSIONAL shop take a good look into it and see if the piston rings are fried. I highly doubt your gaskets are blown because this would result in your vehicle's radiator tank overflowing, possibly with oil/radiator fluid mixture.

P.S. On one of my previous vehicles, I had the same problem. Oil burned like crazy, and smoke would come out after sitting at idle for 30+ minutes in the car. It was embarassing and I took it to a family mechanic, he put in 15w oil, and the car ran a-okay (i was using 10w-30 previously). The thicker oil will result in loss of mpg and more work to get up there, but it works.

As for oil choices at this point (in where you're burning oil). Consider using a regular conventional oil vs Synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is pure, no minerals, therefore it doesn't plug up leaks. The regular conventional oil may help you in trying to reduce the amount of oil being burnt up.

Also, I don't know if this has been previously posted, but have any of you by any chance checked to see if there are leaks around your engine? Sometimes valve cover gaskets leak, in the spark plug well, in the bottom half. Our cars come with under-engine covers, so take that out and check if there's any oil under there, you might possibly just have a oil pan gasket leak or some form of a gasket leak, cars that have been treated through intense heat (and gone at 90k+ miles) can quite possibly have failing gaskets.

Last edited by XxGoKoUxX; 07-26-12 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-27-12, 06:54 AM
wjohnstone
Driver School Candidate

Boron: You are right about the monthly oil check, I just got complacent and lazy - and really confident in my Lexus. Due to the amount of cars I've owned and racked miles on (I used to be a large territory salesman and received a new car every other year or sooner) I have never had one burn oil. These cars included a Dodge Caravan and a Dodge Journey (these two were always in the shop, but no oil consumption). I am on a "plan" of sorts from Lexus. First, I was to switch back to conventional oil, then they are measuring my oil consumption, then they will start doing things like flushes and PCV valves, etc. Last resort will be an engine rebuild if none of the above make a difference. Who will pay for this remains unknown.

GOKU, I can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely do not have an oil leak anywhere. I would have seen it, smelt it burning on manifolds, or found it on my driveway especially the amount I had lost - 2.5 Litres. If I am left with the bill for repair then I guess I'll go to heavier oil and carry a bucket of oil in the trunk like they used to in the '70's. I can't believe I have to do that with an 06 Lexus. Wow.
Old 09-19-12, 02:41 PM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Customer support program

I do not know if this has been already taken care of...But the same thing is happening to my 06 GS300. Engine stutter, low oil light, check engine lights. Was at the dealership numerous times for this.

Just got a cusp from Lexus that addresses the engine misfire. Took it in today, they will have the car for a week. This extends the warranty for 9 years and no mileage limit. I posted the csp this week. Do a search for my name and take a look. Better late then never.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-12, 06:09 PM
2Peps
Driver School Candidate

The low oil engine light in my 2006 Lexus GS 300 AWD came on, I filled it up and a couple of days later the check engine light came on. I took it to Lexus and they couldn't find the misfire code, but did say that if that misfire code came up and also said that if the misfire code did come up, that Lexus would likely take care of rebuilding the engine. They also inspected the vehicle and found seal leaks in both the front and rear differentials. They also found that there was a small oil pan leak. I ended up taking it to a private shop and they think there is a problem with engine. They are going to run full diagnostic check on the engine tomorrow to see what the compression is. I'm surprised to see all of these problems in this Lexus as I had a Toyota Tundra that went 315,000 miles and still going with no problems. I'm not exactly sure what I can do about all of the problems with the Lexus?
Old 10-06-12, 05:16 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

I'll be bringing mine into the dealer soon...black spot is always on the rear of the car and I have the irregular idle at times as well as the rough idle after quick braking. Car is a CPO and I have always had it maintained by Lexus within all specified maintenance intervals.
Old 10-13-12, 04:00 PM
1rocky
Driver School Candidate

Smile LEXUS will fix for free!

I just got a letter from Lexus addressing this issue. Its bad piston rings. I have exact same symptoms. Lexus has extended powertrain warrenty to 9 years (unlimited miles) for this problem only. I have appointment next month. It will take weeks to do it aid service manager, because of all the hoops they have to jump through to satisfy Lexus. But you get a loner car and free ring job.
Old 10-14-12, 04:40 AM
stefnee
Driver

Default Lexus CSP

Originally Posted by 1rocky
I just got a letter from Lexus addressing this issue. Its bad piston rings. I have exact same symptoms. Lexus has extended powertrain warrenty to 9 years (unlimited miles) for this problem only. I have appointment next month. It will take weeks to do it aid service manager, because of all the hoops they have to jump through to satisfy Lexus. But you get a loner car and free ring job.
I took my 06 GS300 in as soon as I got the letter. They ran the diagnostic on the car, saw the misfires and submitted the case to Lexus. Left the car that day. They had the car for a week. After they fixed some additional issues from the repair, i had to bring the car back the next day. No engine idle, no low engine oil. It rides 100% better. the car feels like a whole new car. I can see getting another 100k out of this car.
Old 10-18-12, 09:13 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by silva1181
Hi Caveman, I had no warning lights when the shuddering would occur. It felt like the car was stalling and wanted to turn off but the car remained on and than the shuddering disappeared as I accerlerated. When they did the diagnostic test they were able to see a multitude of misfire codes. You may want to get a test done.
Which test did you get done?
Old 10-19-12, 04:31 PM
silva1181
Pit Crew

I received the same letter from Lexus. I contacted them since earlier this year I had this major service done and paid an out of pocket portion of just over $500.

Lexus agreed to reimburse me what I paid out of pocket. so I am happy about this
Old 10-23-12, 12:14 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for those of you that've had this piston work done, does the rough idle/misfire always trigger a check engine light?

i get this rough idle very once in awhile, but i've never seen a CEL come on.
i just dont want to waste time in taking the car into the dealership if they're just going to say "no CEL, no issue".

Quick Reply: rough idle and burning oil