GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

rough idle and burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 09:43 AM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

little2576, just my opinion but I agree I would have it done by Lexus and at least you will have it documented in the service history, If by chance you are expierencing symptoms you have in your favor that the testing was done by Lexus and not Toyota. Even though I understand they are one in same.

I am surprised to hear that some members in other regions are able to have a Toyota dealer do an oil change on your Lexus. In my area of SoCal, I called several toyota dealers about doing an oil change or fuel injection service on my Lexus and I was flat out told sorry but we cannot work on your Lexus. I guess to some degree this is good, because the fact that I am able to get these major repairs done on my car and only pay $500 (since its out of warranty) was based on the fact that all past services were in fact done, and done by a Lexus dealer.
Again, just my $.02 worth. Good luck on what you decide.
Old 03-08-12, 10:28 AM
Krstobond
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank goodness Lexus covered that issue. In most cases warranties are well worth it.
Old 03-09-12, 11:13 AM
ISDryver
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by little2576
I just called my local lexus dealer & they told they would start an oil consumption test only if i get my 70k service done (keep in mind im at 69k right now) so in a nutshell they want me to pay $135 for an oil change & thats the only way they will do the oil consumption test ?

i know i need to get the 70k done but i can do this my self for about $40 in parts/oil it just doesnt make any sense to me to give them an extra $100 for this

I wonder would they give me a hard time if i went to toyota for my 70k service ? Which is prob closer to $60-$70 for the same service

i just think that me getting my 70k service to get an oil consumption test is BS especially if im not technically at 70k (IMO its like them saying oh throw me an extra $100 bucks & ill do the test)
Is the 70k not a 10,000 miles service? I thought a 10K service uncluded more than just an oil service, rotation, brake inspection etc, thats why it cost more. Cant you have them do just a oil and filter change for the oil consumption test, that should be around $50 to $60.
Old 03-09-12, 11:44 AM
little2576
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im getting my 70k service done at my local toyota dealer....haha.....then from there im heading to a DIFFERENT lexus dealer to get my oil consumption test going
Old 03-09-12, 02:06 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

You should find out if you got a mechanical problem. Sucks to hear its burning oil when it shouldnt
Old 03-12-12, 06:41 PM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Well after 10 days I was able to pick up my GS300 from the dealer. Repairs are done, new piston rings, new valve springs, new spark plugs plus all necessary gaskets and seals. I drove the car home about 35 miles trip and it runs good and strong, noticeable difference on acceleration.

My cost towards this goodwill repair was $565, total dealer cost was about $4985, so all in I feel confident the car is now in tip top shape ready for another 100k miles.

Road Rage thanks again for all your expert advice and input.
Old 03-13-12, 12:27 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGS300GUY
Well after 10 days I was able to pick up my GS300 from the dealer. Repairs are done, new piston rings, new valve springs, new spark plugs plus all necessary gaskets and seals. I drove the car home about 35 miles trip and it runs good and strong, noticeable difference on acceleration.

My cost towards this goodwill repair was $565, total dealer cost was about $4985, so all in I feel confident the car is now in tip top shape ready for another 100k miles.

Road Rage thanks again for all your expert advice and input.
Thanks for keeping us posted on this.

Question for you, aside from the low oil light, did you get any check engine or malfunction lights?

I also have a '06 GS300, and I'm starting to notice some slight shuddering when coming to a stop, which goes away when I start driving again.
Old 03-13-12, 02:00 PM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Hi Caveman, I had no warning lights when the shuddering would occur. It felt like the car was stalling and wanted to turn off but the car remained on and than the shuddering disappeared as I accerlerated. When they did the diagnostic test they were able to see a multitude of misfire codes. You may want to get a test done.
Old 03-21-12, 09:13 AM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Update: So its been about two weeks since I got my car back after having the major repairs done. I have driven about 500 miles since I picked it up.

I have noticed the engine sounds much louder than before especially when stopped and at an normal idle. It also sounds like a very faint ticking noise coming from the engine. I was worried about getting this major repair done because you just never know if the car will be better or worse. I mean the car drives and feels good and I don't know if there is a break in period for the work that's been done.

I will wait for another few weeks and continue to monitor it.
Old 03-21-12, 06:20 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGS300GUY
Update: So its been about two weeks since I got my car back after having the major repairs done. I have driven about 500 miles since I picked it up.

I have noticed the engine sounds much louder than before especially when stopped and at an normal idle. It also sounds like a very faint ticking noise coming from the engine. I was worried about getting this major repair done because you just never know if the car will be better or worse. I mean the car drives and feels good and I don't know if there is a break in period for the work that's been done.

I will wait for another few weeks and continue to monitor it.
Ticking is probably the fuel injectors and this is normal. The engine loudness could be due to it getting all the air it needs now. Remember, it was being choked a little before the work was done. Now if you're talking 1970's muscle car loud then it's time for a return dealer visit to confirm. A Lexus should still sound like a Lexus.
Old 03-21-12, 07:17 PM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Thanks Road Rage, definitely not a 70's muscle car loudness but louder than I would expect from a Lexus. I will wait another 500 miles and see if this improves.
Old 04-02-12, 09:13 AM
ncgirl05
Driver School Candidate

This has been an exceptionally informative thread! Just found out over the weekend that my '06 GS300 was burning oil as well. I had the low oil light and was horrified to find that my dipstick indicated almost no oil at all! I bought my car in November and have only driven 7,000 miles. So happy I bought an extended warranty. If I am reading the threads about "shuddering" correctly is this somehow related? I have noticed that when I am accelerating away from a stoplight the rear end of the car feels like it's shuddering - this has me mystified.

Again, great thread guys!

Leigh Anne
2006 GS300
Old 04-02-12, 01:15 PM
frums
Driver School Candidate

I have 2006 GS300 150000km with both issues. I've been noticing the shudder at stop but just thought: it's just getting old as it never stalled. But recently I've started hearing this distant helicopter/hammerdrill sound. Either way, i've got a booking with a dealer so i will ask abt the piston issue as well.
Old 04-02-12, 04:19 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leigh Anne, get the car into a dealer to be checked over - assuming you've filled it with oil since the dry dipstick discovery.
Not wanting to be alarmist, but when the low oil level lights up, there's a very good chance you've already caused engine damage.
I'd be putting a flush through the engine, and collecting a drain sample for oil analysis ($20-30) to see what metals are detected.
With that little oil, fully synthetic or not, I'd also be banking on sludge formation.

Regarding the rear end shudder, if not a drive shaft rubber bush, then potentially the differential oil - but only if rear ARB bushes and other suspension bushes are not in need of replacing.
Old 04-03-12, 04:25 AM
ncgirl05
Driver School Candidate

Well crap - I hope I didn't do too much damage. On the way to work I saw the light come on and it freaked me out (especially since I had only driven 7,000 miles) but the light went off after 2 minutes and didn't come on again, nor did it flash on the way home so I thought it was some kind of malfunction. Next morning the light came on for 2 minutes again and then turned off. I checked it when I got home that afternoon and made the discovery. We changed the oil this past weekend (blackest oil I'd ever seen on a car that had been properly maintained) (I do have service records thanks to the LexusDrivers website). When we drained it there was still 2 or 3 quarts in it. Car service appointment made for tomorrow (4/4). What all should I have them check as far as TSB's are concerned?

Quick Reply: rough idle and burning oil