GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Reasons you bought a GS.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 07:03 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Reasons you bought a GS.

I wanted a RWD sedan, with 300HP at least with a unique design that would stand the test of time.

I really wanted a BMW 750i or Li, but the lack of reliability and high cost of repair was not up to my liking. Besides it is well known, that german cars are only to be bought new, and sold when they near the end of warranty.
BMW 550 -6speed was also an option, but I just hate that design, and interior is even worse. I consider it the worst looking 5 series ever. 2004-2010 one. New one is a gem.
M45 looked goofy.

MB s550 was too expensive.

I found everything I wanted in my GS430.
Style- best part of the car
Power- could be more but is more than enough in real life.
Handling.
Space.
Comfort
Interior design, which is very important for me. BTW( hated 750 and MB 550 dash) just horrible.
Sound system. Again not the best on the planet, but good enough not to add anything to it.
Wheels/ Brakes... everything is just perfect.

I am just toying with an idea of what to get next in a few years, and it will either be LS460. BMW 535-550 (only with factory warranty). Maybe a MB 550 ( also only with factory warranty)

And GS460 is always an option. Silver or white.

Happy Motoring!
Attached Thumbnails Reasons you bought a GS.-lex.jpg  
Old 02-15-12, 07:23 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate the dash in my GS430. In direct sunlight it reflect on the windshield so bad.

I got my GS430 for it's reliability and so far it is. Unlike my old Camry see the dealer constantly.
Old 02-15-12, 08:28 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you using armor all or a similar product on your dash?
I don't have this problem.
Old 02-15-12, 08:53 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
I wanted a RWD sedan, with 300HP at least with a unique design that would stand the test of time.

I really wanted a BMW 750i or Li, but the lack of reliability and high cost of repair was not up to my liking. Besides it is well known, that german cars are only to be bought new, and sold when they near the end of warranty.
BMW 550 -6speed was also an option, but I just hate that design, and interior is even worse. I consider it the worst looking 5 series ever. 2004-2010 one. New one is a gem.
M45 looked goofy.

MB s550 was too expensive.

I found everything I wanted in my GS430.
Style- best part of the car
Power- could be more but is more than enough in real life.
Handling.
Space.
Comfort
Interior design, which is very important for me. BTW( hated 750 and MB 550 dash) just horrible.
Sound system. Again not the best on the planet, but good enough not to add anything to it.
Wheels/ Brakes... everything is just perfect.

I am just toying with an idea of what to get next in a few years, and it will either be LS460. BMW 535-550 (only with factory warranty). Maybe a MB 550 ( also only with factory warranty)

And GS460 is always an option. Silver or white.

Happy Motoring!
I agree with all you said. Ideally for me, it would have more trunk capacity, and fold down rear seats.
Old 02-15-12, 09:26 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The first GS, the 06 was for my wife. She was driving an ES300 and it had a couple of problems that couldn't seem to get resolved. Plus, she hated it. She thought of it as a Camry. I should have never told her the car was based off the Camry.
I wanted to get her the new ES350 so we went to the dealership.
She saw a GS and wanted that instead. I didn't want the bigger payments so I said no. She started crying and accused me of bullying her...creating a spectacle and making me look like a mean husband.
To this day I can't believe I gave in. I should have walked outside and let her cry.

The second GS, the 07 was for me. Don't know why. I am a coupe man. At the time I had a SC300 and a G35 that was about to come off lease. I did enjoy driving wifey's GS and came to like the stylish look....though I didn't love it. I went to the dealer to buy a used SC430 but found the interior too small for me. They had a GS that was a demo and the marked down price was incredible. I got a virtually new GS for Camry payments. It was hard to pass up.

I really do like my GS cars. They aren't perfect but they are unique in style and substance. They have more personality than any other Lexus before the LFA came out.

They look nice stock but modded, they are really sweet. That was a big reason.
Old 02-15-12, 11:05 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
She started crying and accused me of bullying her...creating a spectacle and making me look like a mean husband.
To this day I can't believe I gave in. I should have walked outside and let her cry.
hahaha that is pretty funny,,,still pretty nice of you getting her what she wanted,,BTW having two same cars in the garage is pretty crazy u should of jump on something else,,,
Old 02-15-12, 11:07 AM
pbateson
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought GS350 AWD at different dealership in fall 2011. My current car was very reliability than M35x. During car shopping, I test drove Infinity G35x, G37, M35x, and 2009 Black Audi A4. I didnt test drive on A6 and BMW 535xi. I saw IS350, but my mum wanted more rooms than G35x or IS. I brought GS350 to auto tune shop to checked whatever all okay without problem like M35x. M35x had big problem such as dirty air filter and rough idle. My mum didnt want me to get 2008 Infinity M35x (Blue colour and tinted windows) So, my GS350 AWD had metallic sliver with black seats came with tinted windows than white GS350 AWD with tan seats plus no parking sensors on bumpers. Anyway, I like my car a lot.

Last edited by pbateson; 02-15-12 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-15-12, 11:25 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Because I've always wanted one, and wanted to modify it! I had this ambition since 2006.
Old 02-15-12, 11:43 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

My 03 Acura TL-S transmission was showing sign of slipping with 140K miles on the ODO. Dealer want 4500 for a new transmission installed. At this point, I'm sure I would have to replace other parts as the car is 10yrs old.

Really wanted the '13 GS350-AWD Fsport but I'm not gonna pay MSRP on a car. The dealer gave me a great deal on the last new 2011 on the lot with 1.9% APR financing and I needed a new car.
Old 02-15-12, 01:30 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, when I thought of lexus the first few things came to my mind, BULLET PROOF ENGINE, BULLET PROOF TRANNY, and great overall reliability. The gs in particular looked better then the 5 series, m35 and audi a6 in my eye at least. The e class was alright but the new body was gonna come out. What GS offered for the money no one could of came close, when i say this i mean features, cooling seats were in VERY few cars, none in its class when i got it. I love the outside and inside of it, it also came with a powerfull engine. To put it in a nut shell I would say, Exterior styling awesome, Interior is also AWESOME, lexus reliablity, Great power and Best Bang for the buck.
Old 02-15-12, 02:15 PM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought it because it was a decently good looking car stock.
At the same time i knew i wanted a unique car that was easy/cheap enough to modify vs a mercedes/bmw/ LS.
I would have considered an IS/g35/350z but they were too common and too much competition :P
Old 02-15-12, 02:33 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because it was cheaper then a 04-05 gs430 which makes no sense to me but it was
Old 02-15-12, 03:29 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like tb said I was in the market for a 750 li but while trying to get financeing I had joined the beemer forum, was on it for awhile they all pretty much said the same thing its a great car to have put a pain in the *** to own. But I still had my heart set on it, so finally I get the financeing find one for a great price low milage was in the office getting ready to draw up paperwork guy gets a phone call he needed to take, so while hes on the phone im thinking to myself damn the do give problems plus my luck everything that can go wrong will, so as he hanged up I changed my mine, he asks me so your getting a beemer, im like uhhhh yeah, we dont have one here? I say no, he says you dont like mercedes? I tell him not really how about the lexus out there, he takes me out there hands me keys It had all the lil kool things I was looking for, push button keyless entry ventilated seats plus he gave me a lower rate since I got it from his inventory
Old 02-15-12, 03:44 PM
MizikeTSK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was sold on Lexus after my IS300 was totaled in an accident (saved my sons life). Looked at the IS350 but for the same price I could get a GS which is obviously roomier. The 300hp V6 was nice plus had the best mpg compared to a GS300/430 at the time. Clean body also. Not much of a Euro guy even though my wife like them. Glad I went with the GS.
Old 02-15-12, 03:56 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LIMS407
hahaha that is pretty funny,,,still pretty nice of you getting her what she wanted,,BTW having two same cars in the garage is pretty crazy u should of jump on something else,,,
Looking back, it is funny.

As for having 2 of the same cars, it is far from crazy. On the contrary it has been cool as heck. People think we are a cool couple. Some think we are ballers. Some think we just like the same kind of things....like jewelry (matching wedding rings), dressing nice and cars. Sometimes when we ride out together it looks wild.

Actually, I plan on doing it again.

Quick Reply: Reasons you bought a GS.