GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Gone black front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 12:53 AM
LEXJG
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Gone black front end

Ok I decided I was going to take the plunge and get rid of the chrome so here it is hop it comes out as it the first picture I have posted.

I think I'm going to get rid of the chrome around the windows as well what do you guys think ?

Old 02-12-12, 12:56 AM
LEXJG
Driver

Old 02-12-12, 12:58 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hides the car, I wouldn't do it. Right amount of chrome in the right places gives a car a nice expensive luxury look, GS for instance is done perfectly fine with good amount of chrome. I seen a gs at the dealer today with chrome rims, chrome door sills, chrome upper and lower grill. Now thats over done and looks ugly. Thats my personal opinion, in the end it really matters if you like it.
Old 02-12-12, 01:32 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with GS350Lexus, with the black, it does make the car feel sleeker, but I prefer he chrome look which makes it look more luxurious and stylish. But the black look isn't too bad either. Btw I really like that LED light on the lower bumper, is it actual LEDs that light up or just a reflection thing? I really like the Audi style lights.
Old 02-12-12, 01:38 AM
LEXJG
Driver

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Hides the car, I wouldn't do it. Right amount of chrome in the right places gives a car a nice expensive luxury look, GS for instance is done perfectly fine with good amount of chrome. I seen a gs at the dealer today with chrome rims, chrome door sills, chrome upper and lower grill. Now thats over done and looks ugly. Thats my personal opinion, in the end it really matters if you like it.
I know what you mean I used to be like that but just recently I got this thing about no chrome I think it's seeing the isf de chromed it looks so much more aggressive over here (UK) dark wheels are in at the moment so that is my next mod not black but dark metallic charcole oh and I've just got my bright orange paint for the break calipers so hope to get that done soon.

Old 02-12-12, 02:09 AM
LEXJG
Driver

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
I agree with GS350Lexus, with the black, it does make the car feel sleeker, but I prefer he chrome look which makes it look more luxurious and stylish. But the black look isn't too bad either. Btw I really like that LED light on the lower bumper, is it actual LEDs that light up or just a reflection thing? I really like the Audi style lights.
They are LED drl's Audi style I have hooked them up so that the come on with the lights under the side mirrors so when you unlock or approach the car they come on and then when the car is running they are dlr's that auto dim at night and they also change to turn signals when I indicate I will try to take some photos tonight when it's a little darker so you can see them better
Old 02-12-12, 02:38 AM
06ausiecar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a close up of those led's please. I love a black on black. It looks so much sportier then my black and matador. Looks good
Old 02-12-12, 03:03 AM
LEXJG
Driver

Originally Posted by 06ausiecar
How about a close up of those led's please. I love a black on black. It looks so much sportier then my black and matador. Looks good
Ok will do later today
Old 02-12-12, 03:58 AM
LEXJG
Driver

Old 02-12-12, 04:56 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

How did you mount the LED's? They look good.
Old 02-12-12, 06:14 AM
LEXJG
Driver

I took the bumper off took it in the kitchen on the breakfast bar ( wife was not impressed) and used a craft knife and steel ruler to cut them out then mounted them flush and glued them in from behind. I took the supply for the mirror lights from the passenger door mirror 2 relays a permenant +12v and a ignition +12v and the turn signal from the supply at the head lights
Old 02-12-12, 06:40 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. Nicely done but a bit to involved for my meager skills. I am still seeking a simpler solution with similar results.
Old 02-12-12, 06:59 AM
LEXJG
Driver

I did some on a priviouse GS I had and I put them in the inlets next to the fog lights they looked good to I will try to hunt out pics if I have any
Old 02-12-12, 07:03 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

That would be great thanks.
Old 02-12-12, 07:05 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it. Sleek and simple, and the LED's give it an updated look. Did you actually paint the trim, or tape it off as some have done.

I think LED mirrors (without the chrome trim!) would also look great if you decide to black out the rest of your trim.

I love your execution of the front LED's. DIY instructions please!

Quick Reply: Gone black front end