GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Retractable License Plates - Auto/Manual (Altec vs Autosport vs Swift Motorsports)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 11:20 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retractable License Plates - Auto/Manual (Altec vs Autosport vs Swift Motorsports)

Has anyone out there purchased one of these products for their 3rd Gen GS? I am considering on purchasing it for my GS450H (not lowered and will not be), but can't decide on which one to buy (probably the manual version because it's almost $100 cheaper but how about the brand, Altec vs Autosport vs Swift Motorsports?).

If anyone has a picture of it on the GS that they could share, it would be greatly appreciated

Here is the link to their sites:

Altec:
http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Retra...00U-p/400u.htm

Autosport:
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/lice...late-mount.cfm

Swift Motorsports:
http://swiftmotorsports.com/index.ph...oducts_id=1838

I need to decide quick because I need a front license plate for my province

Thanks again!

Terry

Edit: License plate installed

Last edited by TCKeyz; 04-01-12 at 11:48 PM. Reason: found a new product and added to the list above
Old 02-05-12, 11:50 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Altec looks promising
Old 02-06-12, 08:00 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't get why you'd want this. Do you plan to flip it down (to hide) whenever a cop is not around? Then flip it up when you see one? Way too much of a hassle, IMO.
Old 02-06-12, 10:57 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

I just don't want to drill holes into my bumper, and the idea of being able to flip it down during car washes is awesome also if I eat to do photo shoots or such, I can hide it in a matter of seconds.
Old 02-06-12, 12:04 PM
alwayzspeedin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i rather get this
http://www.ghostplate.com/Home_Page.php
Old 02-06-12, 12:17 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Again I'm not trying to hide my plate from the cops I just want to keep my hole-less bumper hole-less and clean, don't want any holes whatsoever. And being able to flip it under the car makes car washes easier and have a cleaner look for photo shoots or films.
Old 02-06-12, 01:38 PM
adamaoc
Driver School Candidate

I think it's a good idea to keep the clean look to your front bumper.. It's sucks so much to put an LP up there..

the back one, no one should really complain about... for photo shoots... that's what photoshop is for
Old 02-07-12, 07:35 AM
Slamking18
Driver

I am now in the same boat... I just got pulled over this morning for no front licence plate... All 3 looked like the same design, but the Altec had actuall user reviews on amazon.com which were pretty good. The only complaint was that the frame sticks out about an inch past the bumper when hidden... I too want to keep from drilling any holes in my bumper!
Old 02-07-12, 08:37 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd wager money they are all the same and just labeled under that company for marketing. Nothing looks different on them.

I forget who, but someone makes a motorized one so you can flip it while in the car. I really wish IL would just pass the bill on killing front plates. All the revenue they would make to helpmthe state out and make it a better looking state.
Old 02-07-12, 09:30 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Thanks guys, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Altec Manual version. I just couldn't see the price difference being worth the money to buy the motorized one, and that's just one more thing to break.

After watching lots of videos, I noticed that the Altec retractable license plates sits higher from the ground when in opened position, when closed, the slider part sticks out more. The others when in closed position, they are a little less noticeable but when they are in opened position, they cannot extend up as much because the slider is further back compared to the license plate. This can be a problem if you lower your car and even if not, it's still easier to hit something. The Altec version also looked more durable/better quality compared to the others (flimsy).

Though I would like the "James Bond" version, it really is not useful other than showing off. I will post pics when mine is installed The product is on back order though, I don't know when it will be shipped.
Old 02-07-12, 09:57 AM
Slamking18
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
I'd wager money they are all the same and just labeled under that company for marketing. Nothing looks different on them.

I forget who, but someone makes a motorized one so you can flip it while in the car. I really wish IL would just pass the bill on killing front plates. All the revenue they would make to helpmthe state out and make it a better looking state.
+1 there! I can't believe that I am now starting to get pulled over for no license plate! I have had my car for almost 2 years w/o the plate and got pulled over in my car for it in Dec. and just this morning in my bro's IS!

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
Thanks guys, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Altec Manual version. I just couldn't see the price difference being worth the money to buy the motorized one, and that's just one more thing to break.

After watching lots of videos, I noticed that the Altec retractable license plates sits higher from the ground when in opened position, when closed, the slider part sticks out more. The others when in closed position, they are a little less noticeable but when they are in opened position, they cannot extend up as much because the slider is further back compared to the license plate. This can be a problem if you lower your car and even if not, it's still easier to hit something. The Altec version also looked more durable/better quality compared to the others (flimsy).

Though I would like the "James Bond" version, it really is not useful other than showing off. I will post pics when mine is installed The product is on back order though, I don't know when it will be shipped.
Where did you order it from and for how much? Amazon has it for $42.95 + $7.41 shipping and shows to have 9 in stock... Check it out.
http://www.amazon.com/Show-Go-Licens...8637260&sr=8-1

I am going to do some more research before I order. Did you happen to check under the car to make sure we have a flat enough area to mount? Keep us posted on your results!
Old 02-07-12, 11:12 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

I ordered it from NINOSport:

http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Retra...00U-p/400u.htm

It is $59.99 but I live in Canada and the shipping is free from them. I just never ordered anything off of amazon and I heard stories of fake products, so I went the safe way.

I heard of another member who installed it on their GS but it was by AutoSport, which should be the same as the Altec version. Ill let u guys know the results after installing (might be a while until I receive the product).
Old 02-07-12, 09:50 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats on your new plate holder. looking forward to seeing it in person at a local meet.
Old 02-07-12, 10:49 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Thanks! Funny thing, I just got pulled over for no license plate at a random police road block/check. The cop was cool and nice enough to let me go because I just purchased the car
Old 02-10-12, 06:23 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
Thanks! Funny thing, I just got pulled over for no license plate at a random police road block/check. The cop was cool and nice enough to let me go because I just purchased the car
let me guess...you were either in richmond or somewhere on the north shore when you got pulled over. am i right?

Quick Reply: Retractable License Plates - Auto/Manual (Altec vs Autosport vs Swift Motorsports)