GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Programming Used Smart Key (Fob)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 11:51 AM
shytown350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ what he said. once you register, it'll give you the 127 price

cafre...thanks, i'll do that
Old 02-06-12, 10:34 PM
Lexy88
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I just registered and now see the discount.
Old 04-09-12, 04:36 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Below is the procedure to erase all keys to start from scratch. This is the procedure using Toyota's Techstream. The person doing the erasure will need to have a valid "Security Professional" subscription to Toyota TIS in order to input the SEED NUMBER and obtain a PASSCODE NUMBER to perform the erasure.

After the keys are erased, then you can program as usual using procedure "A" as shown below.

(e) PROCEDURE "E"
All keys ID erasure

Process
Procedure

1. Start of erasure
1.Connect intelligent tester (with CAN VIM) to DLC3
2.Turn engine switch on (IG)
3.Turn tester on while turning driver side door courtesy light switch on and off repeatedly at 1.5 second intervals or less
4.Select "SMART ACCESS / ID UTILITY / SMART CODE RESET" from tester menu
5.Read "SEED NUMBER" sent from TIS according to tester screen

2. Erasure of ID code
Perform operation according to prompts on tester screen

3. End of erasure
Finish key ID code erasure

(a) PROCEDURE "A"
New key ID registration (when replacing certification ECU and ID code box, or certification ECU, ID code box and steering lock ECU), or when performing all keys ID erasure (key code reset):

Process
Procedure

1. Start of registration
3.Select "SMART ACCESS / ID UTILITY / SMART CODE REG" from tester menu
HINT:

Engine switch cannot be turned on (IG) more than 10 times. After connecting tester, turn tester on while turning driver side door courtesy light switch on and off repeatedly at 1.5 second intervals or less to continue key registration procedure.

2. Confirmation of ECU code
HINT:

Mode is automatically selected by tester, new registration mode or add more

3. Verification of unregistered key *1
1.Hold unregistered key close to engine switch
2.Confirm that wireless door lock buzzer sounds once (short beep)
3.Place unregistered key on front passenger side seat
4.Confirm that wireless door lock buzzer sounds once (short beep)

4. Registration of ID code

5. End of registration
Finish new key ID code registration

Locksmiths use different scanners that basically avoid having to have a TIS subscripton, or having to use a techstream. Toyota basically wishes they used these tools, as it is much faster, and easier to reset, and reprogram keys.
The following 3 users liked this post by JSM1284:
NdYAG (11-18-18), Richy21 (07-06-21), Rizz67 (06-08-20)
Old 12-08-12, 02:05 PM
lexusntx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SlvrBulit
Can a used Lexus smart key be re-programmed to work for your car? The answer is 100%, abso-effin-lutely YESS!!!

A little background. I recently purchased a 2008 Lexus GS350. Being new to the "smart key" concept I was alarmed when I was warming up my car, and when I walked away the car started beeping. Fearful the car was going to shut off I left the key on the sunroof of my car (I realize now that the car was alerting me the engine was still running instead of warning me it was going to shut off). I come back minutes later and drove off, and only after accelerating to get onto the freeway I hear the keys fall off the roof of my car and the screen on my car alerting me that the key was "out of range". Basically I needed a new key.

Luckily my dad owns a used car wholesale business so I asked my little brother to send me several used Lexus smart keys they had laying around. Making sure the number on the key fob matched the one on my spare.

FCC ID: HYQ14AAB
IC: 1551A-14AAB

What compelled me to post this thread is because after taking it to Lexus of Carlsbad and spending 1.5 hours there they were not able to program my keys. According to the service rep the Master Technician said, "There is now way to program used smart keys." And they were going to charge me half of the original quote of $125. I ended up getting it waived, and while I very disappointed, I was happy to get a free car wash.

I then took it to the locksmith option. If you're in San Diego contact Jerry with BusyBee Locksmith in Little Italy, and tell him Vince with the silver GS sent you. I brought the 3 spare keys I had to Jerry, and after about 1-hour of trouble shooting, he was able to program all 4 keys (1 original, 3 used). He would probably be able to do it in 30 minutes or less from now on. Here are some things we learned:

1. The smart keys to be programmed need batteries - for some reason the ones I had didn't have batteries in them and the dealership failed to check. That is unless they removed them.

2. They needed to reset the proxy (proximity) computer.

3. It takes 16 minutes to access and reset the proximity computer - I believe Lexus set this up as a precaution so someone couldn't easily boost your car. It would take at least 16 minutes.

4. When programing the smart keys by touching the Lexus symbol of the fob to the ignition button in your car all other keys should be out of proximity (approximately 3 feet outside of your vehicle) and done one at a time - we noticed when we were programming that the lights on all the key fobs were blinking. This means the computer was confused on which key to program.

I know there are other threads out there on the same topic, but I many weren't detailed and were debating back and forth of whether this is possible. Hope someone finds this useful. Good luck!

You have been the most helpful person by FAR. I have a situation and want to see if that would still work for me. A few months ago my friend threw me my keys but I failed and they fell onto the concrete, busting my fob open. I put it back together and had the Lexus dealership put a new battery in it. Since all of that, I get the "Key not Detected" message and I cannot lock or unlock my vehicle, or open the trunk. Thankfully I am still able to start the car by holding it to the start button and waiting for the beep, then I can press the brake and push the button. If I reset the proxy and reprogram the key, will it work properly again?
Old 01-26-13, 05:44 AM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus key.

Originally Posted by bigblack06
This is a great write up and very helpful, this should be in the DIY section since so many people ask this question.
What is a smart key. Well I know the 2008 GS350 users a Transmitter, so I guess that is TT.
We all tend to put keys here and there and then forget, Sorry pal I Lso have a weak cerebellum if that is where the memory synapses are located, I forget all the time,
I have a lexus GS300 year UK 2005 the fr who sold me told me it was a 2008 ha. Soon proved him wrong.
I need a TrAnsmitter or & key.
Bought one in the USA but my tech cannot programme it. Doesn't take the code when h tries.
He is convinced that Thry gave me a wrong key.
I have tried to get a key from lexus Croydon.
Seems impossible as they say he car has to be there for gem to programme the key.
Is this so ?
I seems to read that A lot of blokes buy keys all the time, and they are sent by mail, and they work fine,
Do tell me.
Lexuspcl88
Old 01-26-13, 01:08 PM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Lexus GS300or es

Originally Posted by JSM1284
Below is the procedure to erase all keys to start from scratch. This is the procedure using Toyota's Techstream. The person doing the erasure will need to have a valid "Security Professional" subscription to Toyota TIS in order to input the SEED NUMBER and obtain a PASSCODE NUMBER to perform the erasure.

After the keys are erased, then you can program as usual using procedure "A" as shown below.

(e) PROCEDURE "E"
All keys ID erasure

Process
Procedure

1. Start of erasure
3.Turn tester on while turning driver side door courtesy light switch on and off repeatedly at 1.5 second intervals or less
4.Select "SMART ACCESS / ID UTILITY / SMART CODE RESET" from tester menu
5.Read "SEED NUMBER" sent from TIS according to tester screen

2. Erasure of ID code

3. End of erasure
Finish key ID code erasure

(a) PROCEDURE "A"
New key ID registration (when replacing certification ECU and ID code box, or certification ECU, ID code box and steering lock ECU), or when performing all keys ID erasure (key code reset):

Process
Procedure

1. Start of registration
3.Select "SMART ACCESS / ID UTILITY / SMART CODE REG" from tester menu
HINT:

Engine switch cannot be turned on (IG) more than 10 times. After connecting tester, turn tester on while turning driver side door courtesy light switch on and off repeatedly at 1.5 second intervals or less to continue key registration procedure.

2. Confirmation of ECU code
HINT:

Mode is automatically selected by tester, new registration mode or add more

3. Verification of unregistered key *1
1.Hold unregistered key close to engine switch
2.Confirm that wireless door lock buzzer sounds once (short beep)
3.Place unregistered key on front passenger side seat
4.Confirm that wireless door lock buzzer sounds once (short beep)

4. Registration of ID code

5. End of registration
Finish new key ID code registration

Locksmiths use different scanners that basically avoid having to have a TIS subscripton, or having to use a techstream. Toyota basically wishes they used these tools, as it is much faster, and easier to reset, and reprogram keys.
Dear friend,
I own a GS 300 it is my third gS300. The first was Aristo double turbo nice acceleration and whatever,
I now want to buy a car for wife,
I have Lways gone for GS, but lately I see a lot of improvement in the ES,
The final plus was when I saw that the GS is heavy on gas Nd the 3 ES is the ore. Economical.
Which would u advise, I am keen on economy of gas,
I don't need too much speed, nice pick up is nice tho.
What about the hybrid ?
Lexuspcl88
Old 02-11-13, 11:10 AM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Dear friend,100%

Can a used Lexus smart key be re-programmed to work for your car? The answer is 100%, abso-effin-lutely YESS!!!

A little background. I recently purchased a 2008 Lexus GS350. Being new to the "smart key" concept I was alarmed when I was warming up my car, and when I walked away the car started beeping. Fearful the car was going to shut off I left the key on the sunroof of my car (I realize now that the car was alerting me the engine was still running instead of warning me it was going to shut off). I come back minutes later and drove off, and only after accelerating to get onto the freeway I hear the keys fall off the roof of my car and the screen on my car alerting me that the key was "out of range". Basically I needed a new key.

Luckily my dad owns a used car wholesale business so I asked my little brother to send me several used Lexus smart keys they had laying around. Making sure the number on the key fob matched the one on my spare.

What compelled me to post this thread is because after taking it to Lexus of Carlsbad and spending 1.5 hours there they were not able to program my keys. According to the service rep the Master Technician said, "There is now way to program used smart keys." And they were going to charge me half of the original quote of $125. I ended up getting it waived, and while I very disappointed, I was happy to get a free car wash.

I then took it to the locksmith option. If you're in San Diego contact Jerry with BusyBee Locksmith in Little Italy, and tell him Vince with the silver GS sent you. I brought the 3 spare keys I had to Jerry, and after about 1-hour of trouble shooting, he was able to program all 4 keys (1 original, 3 used). He would probably be able to do it in 30 minutes or less from now on. Here are some things we learned:

1. The smart keys to be programmed need batteries - for some reason the ones I had didn't have batteries in them and the dealership failed to check. That is unless they removed them.

3. It takes 16 minutes to access and reset the proximity computer - I believe Lexus set this up as a precaution so someone couldn't easily boost your car. It would take at least 16 minutes.

4. When programing the smart keys by touching the Lexus symbol of the fob to the ignition button in your car all other keys should be out of proximity (approximately 3 feet outside of your vehicle) and done one at a time - we noticed when we were programming that the lights on all the key fobs were blinking. This means the computer was confused on which key to program.

I know there are other threads out there on the same topic, but I many weren't detailed and were debating back and forth of whether this is possible. Hope someone finds this useful. Good luck!
I saw this thread some time ago. Then I krplookinf forint again could not find it as I knew to this.
I looked everywhere and spent a lot of time. I told folks from USA to Ok it can be done,
I want to get the phone number of Jerry ofBusyBee I little Italy, as I want TiVo ya t him,I have a Lexus GS 300 yr 2006' and need a key, but I know that the code as yours works for the US. Mycar came from UKLonfon and carries a different code. I bought oneinthe USa inFL but we a t get it to work. The omputer does ot accepting has the same code as yours.
I wonder if Jerryhassny suggestions orossiblehecan enlighten us what to do.
My don lives in Chicago and heh ada gs350yr2007'
Thanks100%
lexuspcl88
Old 02-11-13, 11:14 AM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have a key fob with uk codes. 8 INeed one formy Lexusgs300year2006thecaccame from the UK.
Ordo you know of someone whocangetone forme ?
I live in Trinidad and Tobago,
Lexuspvl88
Old 02-11-13, 11:17 AM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Default After u register

Originally Posted by shytown350
^^^^ what he said. once you register, it'll give you the 127 price

cafre...thanks, i'll do that
After u register Yiu ent be able to buy or sell for a while and u have to submit a few posts first, they want to keeeep the members genuine and good,
Lexuspvl88
Old 02-11-13, 11:27 AM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Programming of proxy keys

Originally Posted by lexuspcl88
Dear friend,
I own a GS 300 it is my third gS300. The first was Aristo double turbo nice acceleration and whatever,
I now want to buy a car for wife,
I have Lways gone for GS, but lately I see a lot of improvement in the ES,
The final plus was when I saw that the GS is heavy on gas Nd the 3 ES is the ore. Economical.
Which would u advise, I am keen on economy of gas,
I don't need too much speed, nice pick up is nice tho.
What about the hybrid ?
Lexuspcl88
Dear friend,
I will like Yiu to send the instructions to programme a key fob to me, I haves key fob which I ought in the USA,my carcame from @london, UK. They carryfifferentcodesto the us.
Sou will likemy tech to try the method you described,
Doyoualdohave thtocedurefor the locksmith ?
Oneed akey firmy car.
Any help ?
Lexus pcl88'
Email to........kengopaul@ hotmail.com
Old 06-13-13, 03:41 PM
zmel
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Great write up, and I wanted to share my experience about getting a second smart key fob, perhaps it will save someone time and/or money (take your pick):
- Purchased 2011 RX450h, it came with one smart key fob (and a mechanical key).
- Called the local Lexus dealer, I was told it will cost ~$350 for a second set ($190 for key fob, $60 to program it, and $100 for the mechanical key)
- After researching , called the local Lexus dealer again, and asked if they can program a used key fob if I buy one on the internet – the service advisor #1 said they could do it, but warned that only if the key fob is the exact same model AND not defective.
- Bought a used keyfob from a reputable seller on ebay, and the fun started.
- Set up an appointment with the local Lexus dealer, brought in the SUV and the key fob – service advisor #2 said they cannot program a “used” key fob, but they will try their best since service advisor #1 had given out incorrect information.
- 2 hours wait – service advisor #2 said the technician was not able to program the key fob.
- Drove to a nearby locksmith, after 15 minutes of hooking up his equipment into my SUV, they were able to detect the key fob, but not able to program it
- Found another locksmith (~25 miles away), it took him 2 times, but was able to program the key fob successfully (via the reset proximity method)
- As for the mechanical key, I found a seller on ebay (1010keys) that sold and cut 2 keys, for $30 shipped.
At the end, my total was $150 ($70 for used key fob, $50 for programming and $30 for 2 mechanical keys), compare to $350 as quoted by the dealer. However, I think a better alternative would be buying the brand new key fob from Sewell (~$132 with the CL member discount) – take your pick: save the $60 and spend 3-4 hours running around from one place to another like I did; or you can take the long route like I did, but remember that a "used" key fob can be programed, as the OP stated...
Old 08-06-13, 06:38 PM
windwalt13
Driver School Candidate

Is there any validity to the claim that the circuit board inside the key fob has to have matching numbers. most lexus fobs are going to match on the fcc id but not on the circuit board.
Old 08-06-13, 06:54 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by windwalt13
Is there any validity to the claim that the circuit board inside the key fob has to have matching numbers. most lexus fobs are going to match on the fcc id but not on the circuit board.
My buddy an experienced locksmith told me the circuit board has to match in order to program the key.
Old 09-22-13, 11:27 AM
lsmith2146
Driver School Candidate

Angry smart keys on lexus

what is an fob...
Old 09-26-13, 01:34 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very useful information. I went to the local Lexus dealership and they told me they couldn't do it either. I'll give this guy a shot if he is open on Sunday as I'll be in SD area

Quick Reply: Programming Used Smart Key (Fob)