GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Key locked inside car... disable AutoLock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 03:16 AM
08ES350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not read all replies.. However, I have one hint.

If you place your smart key next to your cell phone, your car MIGHT not detect your key....

Try that....

Good luck!
Old 11-21-11, 10:48 PM
lmfod
Driver

Originally Posted by moose66
Not sure if this is possible, but can your remote be pressing against something in your purse which is activating the lock button on the remote?
nope smart key is will not lock itself in unless theres a dead battery or interface which sounds like the case
Old 06-07-12, 11:36 AM
kathryn91
Driver School Candidate

Default Update/solution

First of all, thank you to all those people that took my question seriously enough to offer solutions and thoughts... especially chuckgs350 and aernieosp who were onto the problem. Over the years people have told me that there was no way my doors could lock with the key in the car.... but well, they did lock so I knew it was possible.

I have just gotten back from the dealer... they found that the Driver Door courtesy switch was faulty and they have replaced it..Thankfully they were able to replicate the situation in the shop - their notes said:

"Found drivers door courtesy switch intermittently operative. With driver door open, found by lightly wiggling switch, vehicle would think driver door was closed. Vehicle would often think door was closed without touching courtesy switch."

Unfortunately they weren't able to disable the Auto Lock feature (which would have been my preference) but they at least switched it to a 60 second delay instead of 30 seconds.

So, thanks again for all your help and suggestions... i did pass them along to the dealer.

Kathryn
Old 06-07-12, 04:55 PM
Jon016
Driver School Candidate

I think he means remote start function where he can use his remote to start the car and then get into his car after.
Old 07-12-13, 08:21 AM
mydawgz
Driver School Candidate

Same exact thing happens to me. The car will lock and the key is in it and it locks me out. I have gotten in the car, put the key on the seat next to me and realized I had forgotten something. I get out and go inside and when I come back out, I am locked out with the key still in the car. (car not running but the key is in plain view on the passenger seat). Have to call AAA to get them to open it up. I have been to the dealer and they say the same thing...."its not suppose to do that" but it does. It is all factory alarm and parts....nothing modified at all on my 2006 GS. ..its a brand new battery in the car and in the key...I think I posted about this happening to me back when it happened and until I just read this post, I thought maybe I was the only one with the problem, but now I know I am not. Just adding my two cents to the thread for anyone in the future.
Old 07-12-13, 12:42 PM
AustinSBP
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yes i have the auto lock featue on my car as well, i thought everyone had this. but i've never gotten my key locked inside yet
Old 07-13-13, 08:34 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mydawgz
Same exact thing happens to me. The car will lock and the key is in it and it locks me out. I have gotten in the car, put the key on the seat next to me and realized I had forgotten something. I get out and go inside and when I come back out, I am locked out with the key still in the car. (car not running but the key is in plain view on the passenger seat). Have to call AAA to get them to open it up. I have been to the dealer and they say the same thing...."its not suppose to do that" but it does. It is all factory alarm and parts....nothing modified at all on my 2006 GS. ..its a brand new battery in the car and in the key...I think I posted about this happening to me back when it happened and until I just read this post, I thought maybe I was the only one with the problem, but now I know I am not. Just adding my two cents to the thread for anyone in the future.
I don't get it - if the key has a new battery and it's just sitting on the seat, why don't you just walk around and grab the passenger door handle??
Old 07-13-13, 08:35 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And who carries the key around in their hand anyway - it's always in my pocket, so even if my car did do this, I'd always be OK.
Old 07-13-13, 09:38 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Some people have tons of keys, keychains, etc...... I know I have 3 sets of house keys, a set of store keys, storage room keys, mailbox key, spare car keys for another car, flashlight, the list goes on.... I rarely leave my keys in my pocket... It usually sits on top of a rag in the car's cupholder (I try to leave as little of a footprint behind as possible in my car, so it gets minimal scratches).
Old 07-15-13, 07:28 AM
mydawgz
Driver School Candidate

Ha! That sounds kind of funny about walking around and "just opening the door" but its just not that simple.

My example: I came out of the store with several bags. I had the key in my hand. As I got a few feet away from the car, I pushed the unlock button twice so all doors would unlock and I popped the trunk. I opened the front passenger door and put the key, wallet and some bakery items on the front passenger seat and I closed the door. I opened the rear passenger door and put my remaining bags on the back seat then I closed that door. I started to put a case of soda in the trunk and at that moment, I heard all the doors lock up. So I was standing outside of the car, with the trunk open and all 4 doors were locked. I could see the key on the front seat. The red light was blinking on the dash. So... I am just saying.... there might come a random time that you don't have your key on you and this situation could happen. I had a new car battery and a new key battery. Lexus found no problems when they checked all of the possibilities.
Old 07-15-13, 08:15 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

This problems sounds like there is something PASSIVE going on. I Used to have a Corvette that did this but it had settings to be Passive to lock on its own or Manual where you decide to lock or unlock. Although, nobody (dealers) don't know how to fix adjust this issue and seeing all the different posts, some people have this problem and some don't. I know it not convenient but like another poster say, Just leave your Key in your pocket. I personally always have my car key in my pocket and a separate set in my bag or back pack or loosely sitting in the cupholder but NEVER my car key, Its ALWAYS in my pocket. I had many Scenarios when I would run in the gas station and or house leaving my car running outside and I would lock my car and then come back and the KEY is in my pocket.

I'm not trying to sound like a d-i-c-k but If you know your car may have this problem or intermittently does this, theres no doubt the the KEY would never leave my side. For example: My Dad is a Doctor and he gets patients coming in to see him all the time and "they say, Doc, this hurts when I do this... My Dad would say, Don't do that..." HAHA LOL Its just as simple.. DON'T leave your key anywhere but in your pocket or on you at all times.

Maybe some people on here are not car enthusiast, but being a car nut/enthusiast, My KEY has never left my pocket unless its in the ignition or if my car was keyless, never out of my site or not in my pocket. Just keep life simple. Heck if you have to get a $1.00 Clip and clip your keys to your clothes or get a Lanyard and wear around your neck..

Like I said, I just trying to be helpful since there's some sort of malfunction going on with the factory system. I said either find away to live with it (ie Keep keys in pocket) or Trade it for another newer car without this problem..

Keep Life simple