GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

exhaust cutouts for lexus v8s

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 10:54 AM
1supra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exhaust cutouts for lexus v8s

Ive read alot of threads stating there wasnt much performance gain in aftermarket exhaust for the lexus v8s in the gs 430 and gs 460,possibly because they are not true duals? I see the dyno #s posted on the isf a/m exhaust and they seem significant. I know the gs motors are not as performance orientated,or they have been ecu detuned for smooth power?

Im wondering if a exhaust cutout would be more beneficial for this type of car,Dont think many lexus drivers want a loud car.but it would be nice to have a elec cutout you could use for spirited driving once in a while. Where would be the best location to place a cutout with these motors,I know exhaust velocity and backpressure come into play doing things like this in order to achieve the best power?
Old 10-27-11, 07:25 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

exhaust cut out? i'm not sure what you mean? are you talking about removing your catalytic converters? that would improve your performance (as long as you don't get caught running without one).
Old 10-28-11, 04:16 PM
1supra
Pole Position

they are solenoid activated holes usually around 2 to 2.5 inch,you flip a switch in the car and they open.louder but more power.
Old 10-28-11, 05:45 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

no, they will not benefit nor will the idea work. Because you'll blow off CELs like a motherfluffer

besides that fact, we'd probably lose power due to the safety precautions our engines have. Find a way to work around the CELs and you should be good
Old 11-01-11, 11:12 PM
1supra
Pole Position

not sure I follow,can you explain what you mean here? if they are placed in back of the secondary o2s I dont see how this would cause ecu issues

Last edited by 1supra; 11-01-11 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-02-11, 09:55 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1supra
not sure I follow,can you explain what you mean here? if they are placed in back of the secondary o2s I dont see how this would cause ecu issues
I agree with you here but I don't know what sort of power increases would be realized, if any.
Old 11-02-11, 11:09 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

basically creates straight pipes with no resonators, mufflers, ect...Sound is amazing on the right car!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkW-A6ffEU4
Old 11-02-11, 11:12 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

this is a good example of it in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5gaAuGNk5M
Old 11-02-11, 11:19 AM
patricksr5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Corvette Z06 which has the exhaust flaps that actuate above 3500 rpm. The sound is amazing but not sure I feel a real kick in performance...some but not dramatic.
Old 11-02-11, 12:31 PM
imadesign
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is what you want
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaucC3AOitc
but you should know where you want to install it,if you need full bypass, install two cut-outs befor the two front cats, be ready for CELs then
Old 11-02-11, 02:36 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by 1supra
Passnu, did a full exhaust syetem on his vehicle. The car was starving from fuel because it wasn't tuned after the exhaust was done (granted he also added an SRT intake to his vehicle). Driving it, he witnessed CELs blow off saying a bank or two was running lean, that is the reason why I said (from reading his thread), that you need some tuning/a bypass to get anywhere with that. Then again, I could always be wrong. I haven't done this setup myself so I have no say in it.

Originally Posted by TWong1200
I agree with you here but I don't know what sort of power increases would be realized, if any.
I doubt any power increase would arise unless the ECU was freed up a little.

Originally Posted by passnu2
this is a good example of it in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5gaAuGNk5M
lol, that's NO FAIR! A turbocharged car yield infinite performance from being freed up of flow-back. I lost a noticable amount of power on my car when I put the JR exhaust back on my car.

Originally Posted by imadesign
this is what you want
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaucC3AOitc
but you should know where you want to install it,if you need full bypass, install two cut-outs befor the two front cats, be ready for CELs then
That's one sick sounding 460 engine lol
Old 11-04-11, 08:39 PM
1supra
Pole Position

Talking

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Passnu, did a full exhaust syetem on his vehicle. The car was starving from fuel because it wasn't tuned after the exhaust was done (granted he also added an SRT intake to his vehicle). Driving it, he witnessed CELs blow off saying a bank or two was running lean, that is the reason why I said (from reading his thread), that you need some tuning/a bypass to get anywhere with that. Then again, I could always be wrong. I haven't done this setup myself so I have no say in it.

I doubt any power increase would arise unless the ECU was freed up a little.
l
Think some info is missing here though,didnt passnu, do a full exhaust and have something done with the second set of 02s different,been a while since I read that thread. alot of the isf cars have full exhaust with a/m headers as well and intakes. They are making more power with out tuning needed. I agree it would make more efficient power if you wanted to add a fuel controller like map ecu or super afc, but tuning a gs is kinda overkill, for what you get in results imho. I like the gs460 for these characters in this order ....its luxury,quite,smooth,nice looking,v8 thats pretty quick. I find that tuning any n/a Toyota after obd2 was employed is a temp fix and a general pita with any picky back comp.Nothing less than a full engine management sytem like motec or the like is worth it.To do that to a GS would be a joke even trying..Im sure these even newer factory ecus would be even worse.

imadesigh...At least we are getting somewhere with this thread now.Thats really good idea have the rpm or boost controlled cutouts,I heard of some supras using that but never drivin one. That gs 460 in the bottom link sounds sick,It looks like he is using manual cutouts with bolt on covers right in front of the mufflers,not sure why he put them way back there or used 2 for that matter since the exh back there isnt dual anymore,possibly for ease of bolting the covers back on. whos car is that,Id like to pm them for their results. I wouldnt use manuals cause i wouldnt drive around for any amount of time sounding like that. but a occasional blast here and there to make people wonder would be fun.

also Id think it wise to either gut out both cats and place the cutouts just in back of the second 02s,this would give you as close to full bypass as possible and keep a stock look for any inspections down the road

dont know about 12s or 400hp but it deff looks faster than mine....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLxHU...eature=related

Last edited by 1supra; 11-04-11 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-04-11, 11:05 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Why don't you be the second to do it? I mean, you want it right? Compared to the many modifications that we make on our cars, this should be close to nothing in cost (set you back maybe 300-400?). Before you do it though, get a dyno, and let us know how it goes!
Old 11-05-11, 07:22 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

First my car ran just fine wit my custom, true dual exhaust, and it eliminated the secondary cats.

front coming from your headers:

X area:

all the way back:

FYI - AWD members a local purchased this and modified the pipes to get around the extra drive axle and has been running for over a year now

The SRT pipe does fit and work! The MAF will not correct for the larger volume of air so you will run lean in bank 1 & 2. You can get a tune from SRT or get a piggy back.

If you want a pipe/intake that wont throw a code and not take in more air then your oem then this works since I tested it out...

Old 11-05-11, 07:26 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

on those cut outs on the GS they wont do anything in that location. they need to be just after your primary cats and yes you will throw a code on this car if you install them correctly

Quick Reply: exhaust cutouts for lexus v8s