GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Check VSC and Check Engine Light - No, it's not the Gas Cap.........

Old 10-22-11, 11:59 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check VSC and Check Engine Light - No, it's not the Gas Cap.........

Drving down the road today and all of a sudden the car loses power, starts vibrating and the Check VSC and Check Engine lights came on. I pulled off the highway and got the car stopped and engine shut off. I let it sit for about 5 minutes and started it up and all warning lights went off and I was able to drive the car home with no adverse effects. Seems to be running normal now.

Anyone had this problem? Searched the archives and saw numerous posts about a loose gas cap, but this was something far more serious.
Old 10-22-11, 04:39 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

at least you have ur amazing genesis to fall back on,,,
Old 10-22-11, 05:00 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

I have head this on the forum I would bring it in to service to get it checked.
Old 10-22-11, 07:35 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LIMS407
at least you have ur amazing genesis to fall back on,,,
You got that Right !
Old 10-22-11, 08:36 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Same thing happened to my is250. Actually happend to me on two separate occasions last year. Havent happened in over half a year, thank god. So no problems for me, but im also curious as to why this happened.
Old 10-24-11, 04:45 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just happened to me, went to autozone got the error code read it came back P0420 something to do with the catalytic converter not working properly on bank 1 a couple of friends have said it could just be an O2 sensor im taking to a shop tomorrow to get them check out
Old 10-24-11, 07:38 PM
06ausiecar
Driver

On my 430 I had a bad 02 sensor. The vsc was in the screen traction control light was on (like if i thrned it off) and the check engine light was on. The code said one of my 02 sensors were bad. Put it in now it's perfect again. Good luck with yours.
Old 10-25-11, 12:33 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Thanx just got back from the shop it is the O2 sensors 2 out of da 4 need to be replaced, gonna get it done tomorrow hopefully thats all that is wrong
Old 10-30-11, 08:05 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mr3gs300
Thanx just got back from the shop it is the O2 sensors 2 out of da 4 need to be replaced, gonna get it done tomorrow hopefully thats all that is wrong
Was this in warranty or out. If out what were the damages? --- I've got 64K on mine now, so I am sure everything here on out will be my nickel.
Old 10-30-11, 10:29 AM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Yea mine is out of warranty went to a repair shop by my job total cost was 185 they changed the sensor rechecked it ran it and running good for me, with mine nothing really changed cause when the error code came up car was still running fine, matter of fact I had the codes reset 2 just to see but they still came back so thats when I decided to take it to the shop
Old 11-18-13, 08:10 PM
Shadey
Driver School Candidate

I had my gs430 for about a month and before I knew it. Check engine light. Then vsc / vsc off light a few days later. After searching this forums I decided to try looking at my gas cap. Sure enough the gasket had a crack and it was brittle. Thinking I had solved the problem I went to Lexus parts and bought a $32 gas cap. Well after 200 miles it just got worse. Now it started missing(sputtering). Over it I took it to my machanic. Code reader, miss fire 5 , misfire 7, fuel defusuer?
Turns out the problem was, bad ignition coil on cylinder 5, bad ignition coil cylinder 7. $147.00 in parts, $6 12 pack of sunkis soda, and 3 cheeseburgers and $32 in labor. No check engine light no vsc light. Car runs even stronger
Old 11-18-13, 09:26 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Glad you got the problem solved! This would help out future members searching around Shadey .

I'm sure the gas cap was going out pretty soon, so it's good you got that replaced!

On another note, I wonder how one would check their COPs for consistence.
Old 12-19-13, 07:26 PM
mrmike490
Driver School Candidate

If one has to get a new gas cap...does anyone suggest an aftermarket one?
Old 10-14-15, 11:32 PM
LexinTex71
Driver School Candidate

Default Any updates of the OP?

I have the same issue...It freaked me out the first time it happened. I tend to give this Lexus a work out when I use it, so it has for the most part been used to responding to my foot slamming down on the gas pedal to pass a semi on a two lane road with a speed limit of 80, and of course cruising at 90. The first time it happened, I slammed the foot down, I started to go around the semi, then all the lights lit up on dash (VSC, Slip, Engine, Etc) and I lost all power, I barely made it back over and then died out and slowly pulled over when I had a safe spot. The car was shuddering. I turned the car off for a few seconds, then started it again...Everything normal, no lights on, no check engine light. Car drove as usual.
I have lived with it, but would love to know what is wrong and how to fix. It ONLY happens now when I floor it...say taking off, or if Im doing 60-70 and floor it to pass someone. I havent been driving the car because I bought a Porsche Cayenne, but it happened the other day. Lights stay on now after restarting, but I can clear them with my scanner. Codes are crazy (wheel sensors, ECM malfunction, misfires, etc) I have looked them up but no info on any of them. Since I can replicate this behavior at anytime, I wonder who else can, and just hasnt out of sheer luck.
I did replace gas cap the first time it happened, and it didnt work...of course I bought the gas cap off eBay and it was a toyota part...not sure if i have much faith in that...maybe ill go by the dealer and see if they want to take a test drive with me????
Old 07-20-17, 01:54 PM
envious
Driver School Candidate

Hi all,

I have the same issue (Check VCS / Engine / Traction Off) on my 2006 GS 430.

I just did an OBD scan, which resulted in: P0455 & P0456 trouble codes.

Based on what I have read, I hope this is just an issue with my gas cap. The original one did seem to come off easy with 1/4 of a turn. I replaced the gas cap with a generic brand that fits my car. Its now been 3 days and the lights are still on.

Do you think its necessary to buy a new Lexus OEM gas cap? The OEM one is $50 CAD, but I cheaped out and bought the generic brand from an auto parts store for $15.

Lexus dealer obviously recommended getting OEM and they said it would take a week to clear the warning lights. I am trying to solve this issue asap as I am currently trying to sell the car.

Should I just buy the OEM gas cap and wait up to a week, or do you think the generic gas cap should be fine and I just need to be more patient?

Here is a pic of the ODB - not sure if both codes apply to me or just the bottom highlighted one

Thanks for your advice.
Attached Thumbnails Check VSC and Check Engine Light - No, it's not the Gas Cap.........-img_8935.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check VSC and Check Engine Light - No, it's not the Gas Cap.........