GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

UPDATE: Jackhammer Noise Under Glove Box!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 03:54 PM
denvergs4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE: Jackhammer Noise Under Glove Box!

Okay guys so I had this jackhammer noise under the glove box and Lexus said it was the actuator and it was going to be $1500 +- to replace! 9+ hours of labor!

First off BS...and this is a prime example of them ripping people off!

So I did some exploration and found the actuator is working fine, moves back and forth when the outside air circulation is turned on.

What happened is this piece here broke:

So my question is for you guru's out there, how does this piece go on when I get the replacement? I tried to look at it and piece it back together but could't find out how it attached back on...

THanks for your help guys!
Old 10-13-11, 04:11 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you provide a photo at a wider angle? I want to see where that server motor is in relation to the glove box opening. Hopefully I can provide you with a photo
Old 10-13-11, 06:04 PM
denvergs4
Driver

Okay so after further research I figured out this piece is connected to the cover that is moved up and down ...my guess is that when Lexus replaced my air filter it was stuck in the closed position and they forced it open instead of changing the settings first therefore breaking that plastic piece.

Now Lexus quoted me $1500 and explained up and down that they had to remove the dash (9 hours labor) - it took me less than 2 hours to remove the glove box and all the other misc stuff in the way and that actuator they seems so confident about having to remove the dash could be replaced with two screws.

So for anyone with this same problem DON'T PAY Lexus, do it yourself. If you have questions PM me about it.

I ended up using high epoxy glue and glued it back until I can order a new plastic piece.

Here's what it looks like back together glued...works perfect as is!

Old 10-13-11, 06:41 PM
alwayzspeedin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bring it back to lexus tell hem they boke it when they changed th filter
Old 10-13-11, 06:55 PM
denvergs4
Driver

Lol..I called them and spoke with the tech manager twice today, both with the same conclusion "none of our techs would have done that" - well they did! I'm going to drive down there tomorrow and have a face to face for sure.
Old 10-13-11, 07:23 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by alwayzspeedin
Bring it back to lexus tell hem they boke it when they changed th filter
Lexus will not fix this for free if you've taken your dash apart yourself. They'll just say you did it. When I had dash squeaks due to cold weather, I took the car in and the first thing I was asked was if I have messed with the dash myself? I said no, why would I ? lol he was like, well I've seen cars with nav bypass kits and if you have one we will not do anything. Not sure how bypass kit and dash squeaks are related ?!! but the point is, once you touch something it's almost impossible to prove that it was like that or they did it.
Old 10-13-11, 10:10 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great post!
Old 10-14-11, 01:47 AM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Someone screwed up when they changed your AC filter. It happened to my GS over a year ago and I had to get a whole blower assembly from junkyard to replace that arm. Epoxy, superglue, screws don't work. It will break again. Trust me, nobody sells that tinny piece alone. You have to replace the whole thing and it took me almost two hours to disassemble the passengerside dashboard. Bring it back to your dealer and ask for compensation - they charge around $1500 to replace this.
Old 10-14-11, 09:59 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine was broken at some point in the past by previous owner or something, but it doesn't make any noise thankfully other than the broken piece that rattles in there now and then. I just leave it in outside air mode all the time and don't even notice that it doesn't work. I haven't got any time to take the glovebox out and investigate anything further so I just pretend it's fine. :P
Old 10-16-11, 09:12 AM
denvergs4
Driver

So I had a face to face conversation with the manager at Lexus and he still denied their mistake. At this point I have a few consumer options to fight against Lexus but I'll tell you one thing, I will never take my car to them again. I FEEL SCAMMED! What's sad is they try to pull this BS with Lexus owners, generally educated people.

GS300ken is right though, no one sells just that plastic piece, you have to replace the whole damn thing. So I figured I'll fight Lexus through the consumer side.

The high epoxy glue is very solid though, I glued the inside and took a que tip and glued the outside as well, I know you guys said it won't hold but I don't see why it wouldn't. There's not a lot of pressure placed on that piece within the movement. I guess we'll wait and see.

All in all I've finally learned my lesson dealing with Lexus! True scam artists.
Old 10-17-11, 02:53 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that, but I'm not surprised. I had good results with Lexus of Pembroke Pines, but very bad results from Lexus of Tampa Bay (Scammers).
Old 01-31-12, 08:45 PM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

is that piece holding in place with that glue? on my 60k my air filter door broke too done by a shop who said they are going to fix it
Old 02-01-12, 06:37 PM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

i brought it back to the shop they fixed it and reinforced it easy fix
Old 02-02-12, 07:08 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

I see your in Denver..... which dealership did you take it to?
Old 12-13-14, 05:07 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You sir are my savior!!!! i've been having this problem ever since i made this big OOPPSiE. I'm planning to probably just epoxy it and leave it so im no sure if that would be a good idea.... My first attempt was a no go because I had no idea how to get in there in the first place except looking at an 2IS DIY. So question is... is there a 3GS DIY??

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Jackhammer Noise Under Glove Box!