GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Help with Sirius Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-11, 08:48 PM
adsmithjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Sirius Antenna

2008 GS 350 with Mark Levinson
Help with Sirius Antenna. I have a 2008 GS 350 ML that had AM/SAT but no Satellite. I had a Sirius Satellite tuner installed along with Sirius Connect and puck in rear window. Activated Satellite and all is well except signal drops on occasion out in the open. I have the Shark Fin on roof and want to utilize it versus the puck. I purchased a SFA12-M which is supposed to work with Sirius and XM. My tuner and Sirius Connect are located up front with the radio head. I pulled the radio head and unplugged the Satellite antenna plug from the radio head and installed the gray plug of the SFA12-M to the radio head and then unplugged the puck antenna from the SCC1 Tuner and plugged in the other end of the SFA12-M. I turned on radio out in the open and all radio says is that it is acquiring signal. This went on for at least 5 to 7 minutes and no lock on and no music from the presets. I undid the plugs and went back to the puck and put the original blue plug back in the radio head and I instantly locked on to Satellite channels. What am I missing in this setup? It would seem that I should have a second plug somewhere to plug the tuner in to? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-26-11, 10:00 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to run the SFA12-M from the SCC1 to the inside of the trunk. The end of the Shark Fin antenna you need to connect to is in the trunk on the passenger side. Remove all the panels in the trunk and you will see the Shark Fin connector on the passenger side which is wrapped up in some gray foam. Remove the foam and you will see the connector that the other end of the SFA12-M plugs into.

Here are the instructions on how to take the trunk apart:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/pdf/GSXM.pdf
Old 08-27-11, 07:30 AM
adsmithjr
Driver School Candidate

So if I understand you correctly my wire end of the antenna is in the SCC1 and I need to take the 12 feet with the actual gray plug to the rear right side. I have a ML amp and I found the antenna plugged into the unit. Is this not the one or do I need to keep looking in the area for something wrapped in gray foam????
Old 08-27-11, 07:37 AM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

The shark fin antenna will NOT be plugged into the amp. The end of the antenna wire should be hanging somewhere right above the amp.
Old 08-27-11, 09:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LenniePaz
The shark fin antenna will NOT be plugged into the amp. The end of the antenna wire should be hanging somewhere right above the amp.
yes, should be somewhere close to the strut tower
Old 08-27-11, 10:24 AM
adsmithjr
Driver School Candidate

Okay. I'm going back out to look again while I still have the radio head apart. I just finished installing the PS Navi/Video Enhancement and everything works as advertised and that part of the setup is back together with the glove box , air bag and lower panel. Reloaded all my SAT, AM and FM channels. Easier than I though and the instructions were very exact and helpful. I was scared but mechanically inclined.
Old 08-27-11, 01:36 PM
adsmithjr
Driver School Candidate

Default Anrenna Help and Installation

Thank You LenniePaz and rominl for all your help. The antenna plug was located exactly where both of you said it would be and it was taped up in foam. I ran it through the opening with the other wire bundle and down the passenger side channel track. It is temporarily hooked up to the SCC1 Sirius tuner and the SAT stations are coming in. I will finish permanent installation and put truck and trim panels back together in the morning as the temperature got to 105 degrees and I was soaking wet. Everything is now working.

Thanks
Old 08-27-11, 01:54 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Glad to hear it all worked out.
Old 08-27-11, 02:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

awesome, congrats!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-11, 02:14 AM
yoyokata
Driver

i was thinking about doing this myself, can i ask you how much all the equipment ran you?
Old 08-29-11, 10:31 AM
Pinecomp
Driver School Candidate

Does this also apply to a 2009 GS 350 NO ML with Sat Navi. Had the dealer install XM when I purchased the car, & he stuck that stupid little puck right over the passenger door. Said that there is no connection to the shark fin.
Old 08-29-11, 11:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Pinecomp
Does this also apply to a 2009 GS 350 NO ML with Sat Navi. Had the dealer install XM when I purchased the car, & he stuck that stupid little puck right over the passenger door. Said that there is no connection to the shark fin.
wtf?! dealership did that? tell them they are the stupid ones because obviously they installed an aftermarket kit in your car instead of the oem factory kit. the only factory kit for sure utilizes the shark fin.
Old 08-31-11, 05:57 AM
Pinecomp
Driver School Candidate

Yep dealer did that, Lexus of Watertown, in Watertown MA. I have an appt. with the GM next week, I'll let you know what happens.
Old 09-06-11, 08:07 PM
adsmithjr
Driver School Candidate

Smile Navi/ DVD override

I spent $60.00 for the 12 foot antenna from VAIS Technology plus shipping and PS had or might still have a sale on the NAVI override for $314.00 vs $349.00. The Sirius Connect radio tuner and Sirius Satellite radio was about $299.00 installed by local Stereo shop. I went back a week later and installed the antenna and PS NAV override and that was just a couple of hours of my time. All was well worth it and no more puck in my rear window and now my radio doesn't even drop out in a clear surrounding. I just read the instructions and took my time.

Originally Posted by yoyokata
i was thinking about doing this myself, can i ask you how much all the equipment ran you?
Old 09-07-11, 08:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by adsmithjr
I spent $60.00 for the 12 foot antenna from VAIS Technology plus shipping and PS had or might still have a sale on the NAVI override for $314.00 vs $349.00. The Sirius Connect radio tuner and Sirius Satellite radio was about $299.00 installed by local Stereo shop. I went back a week later and installed the antenna and PS NAV override and that was just a couple of hours of my time. All was well worth it and no more puck in my rear window and now my radio doesn't even drop out in a clear surrounding. I just read the instructions and took my time.
that's awesome everything works well for you now. congrats