GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Low oil indicator - using synthetic 5w30

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 06:44 PM
simonasj
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil indicator - using synthetic 5w30

Hello everyone:

I have 06 GS300, 80K miles. Once I bought a car, started using synthetic 5w30 oil. Previous owner used regular oil all the time. I change the oil every 5000 miles and about 4500 miles after the oil is changed, i have a low oil indicator warning light come up for just a second. I checked the oil level, and it does show that the level is below minimum required as well (just barely some oil on the tip of the dip stick). I don't notice any leaks, smoke or etc, so I am not sure what the problem is... Should I change viscosity of the oil? (contacted a few dealers, and they say I should stick w/ 5w30), should I go back to the regular oil? Any suggestions? Thank you for your help!
Old 08-24-11, 01:41 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like 99.9% of us all are using 5w30, there was supposedly a TSB that changed 5w30 into 5w20. Which we never got to the end of, viscosity shouldn't matter. I think you're car is either leaking oil or eating it. Make sure to use exact amount of oil required when changing oil.
Old 08-24-11, 03:46 AM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our dealers use 0w30 toyota oil. All dealers! This is a recommendation by toyota motor group.. to use 0w30 in cold winters.

5w30 will freeze if temperature below -40 degrees.

In Japan Toyota use 0/5-20. It's all about ecology.

Recommendation for European market - from 5-30 to 20-50.
Depends on country.

5-30 is general recommendation for all lexus cars outside Japan.

American and European laws allows to call "full-synthetic" mineral oil with additives. This engine oil is made by hydrocracking technology, so toyota oil is not full-synthetic. All Toyota engine oils are semi-synthetic or mineral.

Full synthetic means that there are no products of oil refining.

What you can see on oil package in Japan:
castle motor oil sm 0w-20 semi-synthetic
castle motor oil sm 5w-30 semi-synthetic
castle motor oil sm 10w-30 mineral

In Europe Toyota Oil 0W-20 is FULL SYNTHETIC. This is not true!
Laws in Europe and America allows to write "FULLSynthetic" on motor oil made by hydrocracking tech , in Japan - no!

Toyota Engines 2-4-3GR can use from 0-20 до 20-50 index of oil.

Also you must know that some oil stays in engine anyway.
Of course not too much.
For 3GR - 400 gramm.
For UZ - 300 gramm.
This 300-400 gramms will stay always in engine.
Old 08-24-11, 08:32 AM
tinman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RenatUSSR
Our dealers use 0w30 toyota oil. All dealers! This is a recommendation by toyota motor group.. to use 0w30 in cold winters....
I'm uncertain what the previous post has to do with low oil indicators, but it's informative, at least!
Old 08-24-11, 02:06 PM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

We care about motor oil cuz our fuel sucks and wheather too. If you have chosen bad oil for winter your engine soon be dead.

I have never seen low oil indicator.
Old 08-25-11, 07:59 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by simonasj
Hello everyone:

I have 06 GS300, 80K miles. Once I bought a car, started using synthetic 5w30 oil. Previous owner used regular oil all the time. I change the oil every 5000 miles and about 4500 miles after the oil is changed, i have a low oil indicator warning light come up for just a second. I checked the oil level, and it does show that the level is below minimum required as well (just barely some oil on the tip of the dip stick). I don't notice any leaks, smoke or etc, so I am not sure what the problem is... Should I change viscosity of the oil? (contacted a few dealers, and they say I should stick w/ 5w30), should I go back to the regular oil? Any suggestions? Thank you for your help!
Please clarify:
At 4500 miles into your oil change do you get:
1. The ! inside a red triangle and the words "OIL MAINT REQD SOON" or
2. The ! inside a red triangle and the words "LOW ENGINE OIL LELVEL"

#1 should come on for a few seconds when the car is started every time after 4500 miles have elapsed since the Engine Oil Maint enance Reset procedure was done (last oil change if done correctly).

When you change the oil and filter, are you adding 6.5 quarts of the oil of your choice?

steviej
Old 08-26-11, 09:18 AM
simonasj
8th Gear

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I did get "The ! inside a red triangle and the words "LOW ENGINE OIL LELVEL", only for a few seconds and only once. About 6.5 - 7 quarts was added during the oil change. Used Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5W30, after the oil was changed, dipstick oil level showed just a little bit over the needed amount. Previous owner is my friend and after talking to him, he says he never had this issue, but driving patterns changed, since he had more highway miles and I drive mostly in the city now...
Maybe it's normal, but this is strange for me, because I had 96 Acura RL, 280K miles, oil was only changed every 7.5K miles and oil level on the dipstick would never show that oil is being used
Old 09-14-15, 08:40 AM
hvargas
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Hi all:

Reviving this thread because I'm experiencing very similar symptons to OP's post.

Bought an '07 GS 350 AWD about 3 months ago and immediately changed from conventional to synthetic oil. About 5000KM the "low engine oil" message started popping up. I checked the dipstick and it was below the low marker. I added about 2L of oil. Car is currently at 145,000KM.

After the engine's lost how much oil, does the low engine oil message pop up?

I called my mechanic and he simply said that it's somewhat of a known problem and Lexus may actually take care of it.. I'm somewhat skeptical of this as it's an '07... but maybe someone has gone the route of correcting this issue and knows what steps to take?

Last edited by hvargas; 09-14-15 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Added mileage.
Old 09-14-15, 01:50 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hvargas
Hi all:

Reviving this thread because I'm experiencing very similar symptons to OP's post.

Bought an '07 GS 350 AWD about 3 months ago and immediately changed from conventional to synthetic oil. About 5000KM the "low engine oil" message started popping up. I checked the dipstick and it was below the low marker. I added about 2L of oil. Car is currently at 145,000KM.

I called my mechanic and he simply said that it's somewhat of a known problem and Lexus may actually take care of it.. I'm somewhat skeptical of this as it's an '07... but maybe someone has gone the route of correcting this issue and knows what steps to take?
Good luck with getting Lexus to do anything. You can see if they will do a consumption test for you.

It sucks that the government has just made cars built around 2005 disposable not just Lexus but the majority of them...really sad.
Old 09-14-15, 04:21 PM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
Good luck with getting Lexus to do anything. You can see if they will do a consumption test for you.

It sucks that the government has just made cars built around 2005 disposable not just Lexus but the majority of them...really sad.
What do you expect for a $53,000 luxury car? That the engine should last longer than 100,000 miles? Just lease the new shiny bauble off the showroom floor and send the old one to the crusher. Livin' the dream, baby.
Old 09-14-15, 10:02 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car never consumed any oil and I have 100k miles. I do my oil changes at 5k religiously never an issue.
Old 09-15-15, 05:34 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hvargas
Hi all:

A GS 350 burning oil too, eh? I thought that was Unpossible. Only the GS 300 should do this. Too bad all the 4th gen GS owners are stuck with the same engine.
Old 09-15-15, 07:31 AM
SMGS300
Rookie

I just had the low oil indicator come on in my 2009 this morning while driving down the interstate. Pulled the dipstick and oil was barely touching the tip. I have roughly a 1,000 miles till my next oil change.
Old 09-15-15, 11:17 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SMGS300
I just had the low oil indicator come on in my 2009 this morning while driving down the interstate. Pulled the dipstick and oil was barely touching the tip. I have roughly a 1,000 miles till my next oil change.
Hrrmmm, another GS 350 suckin' down the old Penzoil like margaritas at happy hour.
Old 09-16-15, 08:10 AM
hvargas
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SMGS300
Hmmm yeah mine was about 2000KM from next oil change when it came on. It took about 1.5-2L of oil to top it off...

Quick Reply: Low oil indicator - using synthetic 5w30