GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

rock chips!! not happy

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-11, 07:22 PM
DJ63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing I did was buy the clear bra, I've had it the last 3 vehicles I'v eowned
and that is one of the best investments I did on each car.
Old 08-25-11, 09:00 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lex326
Don't your premiums go up by claiming under insurance? Did an appraiser have to come out and approve the claim?
nope, because it's not my fault i got the rock chips. so no premium increase. and yes, the appraiser for the insurance company did come out to look at my car before approving the claim.

Originally Posted by worker
I did that with my Camry. Some rocks are huge enough to rip through the clear bra too. And to make it worse the bugs don't clean off of the clear bra. But to end my clear bra days is the fact that after I remove the clear bra it look like 2 finish on the hood. The clearbra part looks clean while the none clearbra looks different.
well if the rocks are that huge, no clear bra will protect your car. as for bugs, yes, the "splat" can stain the film and make it unremovable if not removed immediately. and if you did clear bra on the entire hood, you would not have that problem of 2 finish look.
Old 08-29-11, 06:38 AM
DJ63
Driver School Candidate

The clear bra is just like the paint, you can wax it, if you mainitain it like the paint of your car than the splats remove when you wash no problem.
Old 08-29-11, 08:24 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why you don't buy car at night or with anyone else with you. Tell the salesman you will come get him after you have inspected the car. We have all had this happen when buying a used car, but it is used and that means driven where ever so you have to expect a little paint ware. On the up side just get the bumper repaint if it is that much of a problem it should'nt be that much of a cost trust me I know about this one.
Old 08-29-11, 08:26 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
I did that with my Camry. Some rocks are huge enough to rip through the clear bra too. And to make it worse the bugs don't clean off of the clear bra. But to end my clear bra days is the fact that after I remove the clear bra it look like 2 finish on the hood. The clearbra part looks clean while the none clearbra looks different.
this is bc of the way the clearbra cover up the way light effects your car when it sits in the sun. Paint starts to fade the first day it sit out in the sunlight no way of getting around that.
Old 08-29-11, 08:33 AM
Javspo0lin
Driver School Candidate

+1 on the 3m clear bra i have it on my car and it has protected my paint.
Old 08-29-11, 09:46 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
well if the rocks are that huge, no clear bra will protect your car. as for bugs, yes, the "splat" can stain the film and make it unremovable if not removed immediately. and if you did clear bra on the entire hood, you would not have that problem of 2 finish look.
my whole point is the clear bra isn't a complete solution. It provide minimum protection but in turn cause some unwatned side affect. If you do the whole hood it'll cost almost as much as repaint, and the finish still different so you might want to do the whole vehicle.

just my 2cents and I did went the clear bra way. So just giving some caution feedback.

Originally Posted by swtjlsy
this is bc of the way the clearbra cover up the way light effects your car when it sits in the sun. Paint starts to fade the first day it sit out in the sunlight no way of getting around that.
I know, but I didn't know it'll be so noticeable but it did. A close look you won't notice it as much but at a glance you see it instantly.

Anyway, right now I just leave the car as is. I'll save the money and when it's bad enough I will pay to repaint which will be like new.