GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS430 Headlight Issue, On and off

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 07:41 PM
biboner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bulbs

same problem here passenger side seems to work fine during the day and then goes off within 5 to 10 mins while driving at night sooo frustrating
Old 05-14-13, 03:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
My wife's 06 had the left bulb stop working about a year ago.
I replaced both bulbs and it seemed fine until now.
The left bulb is out again. Plus, the running lights go off when you turn the headlight on.
Now, at night the only illumination is the one right side headlight.

The other night a car was approching me from behind and all I could see was one light.
I immediately thought, hey that car is behaving just like ours.
As it passed me I saw it was a GS300.

With the running light issue plus the second time the left headlight went out, I bought a ballast off ebay. I was gonna get it installed tomorrow. But now you guys are saying it's just the headlight.

Should I go ahead and change the ballast?
Might as well since I have it.
My issue is definitely more than just a bulb.
Took my car to the body shop I've been using for many years.
They put in new headlight and it worked for about 5 minutes then shut off. Wouldn't come back on.
Then changed the ballast. Light came on for about 10 minutes then shut off. Wouldn't turn back on. The tech says he had a customer in a Nissan with a similar problem Left headlight wouldn't work. He tried everything. Told customer to buy new headlight assembly and she never had a problem after. I guess that's my next move.

Apparently, lots of other people are having this same problem:
http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2006/...g/problem.aspx
Old 05-24-13, 01:26 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had this issue for years.

If I turned my lights off and on, they'd stay on for a random amount of time. Well, my left side has finally gone out and won't come back on.

I'm not sure why this problem developed and I am disappointed to see so many people have the same issue. The build quality of these cars really did take a nose dive during this generation.
Old 05-28-13, 11:59 PM
Jiggaman54
Rookie

Originally Posted by dadoody
I've had this issue for years.

If I turned my lights off and on, they'd stay on for a random amount of time. Well, my left side has finally gone out and won't come back on.

I'm not sure why this problem developed and I am disappointed to see so many people have the same issue. The build quality of these cars really did take a nose dive during this generation.
I agree. The '06 took a serious dive in quality compared to the 2GS. I'm having the same issue as everyone else, only it's not the bulbs or the ballast. I bought a new pair of Phillips bulbs and the left one goes out still after 5-10 seconds. Only difference between myself and everyone else is that i'm getting a weird buzzing noise from the headlight. Sounds like it's shorting out.

I just finished replacing the ballast about 30 minutes ago, still no joy. I verified all the connections multiple times and now nothing.

Does anyone think it's the AFS that's the problem? Or far far should I go before giving up and just buying a whole new assembly?
Old 05-29-13, 04:17 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggaman54
I agree. The '06 took a serious dive in quality compared to the 2GS. I'm having the same issue as everyone else, only it's not the bulbs or the ballast. I bought a new pair of Phillips bulbs and the left one goes out still after 5-10 seconds. Only difference between myself and everyone else is that i'm getting a weird buzzing noise from the headlight. Sounds like it's shorting out.

I just finished replacing the ballast about 30 minutes ago, still no joy. I verified all the connections multiple times and now nothing.

Does anyone think it's the AFS that's the problem? Or far far should I go before giving up and just buying a whole new assembly?
did you try swapping the oem bulbs to the opposite sides to see if the problem followed? i dont know what you paid for your phillips bulbs but beware there are many fakes out there and it could be you just got bad bulbs.
Old 05-29-13, 10:33 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Had this happen on my 430

Get one from xenon depot.com. 4300. It's a perfect match to factory ones.. I got Philips from them $ 180 for both or less
Old 05-31-13, 11:42 AM
Jiggaman54
Rookie

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
did you try swapping the oem bulbs to the opposite sides to see if the problem followed? i dont know what you paid for your phillips bulbs but beware there are many fakes out there and it could be you just got bad bulbs.
I've tried swapping the bulbs, still no change, even bought a new pair of bulbs just in case and still nothing. When I turn the lights on I just hear the loud buzz from the headlight then nothing.
Old 03-07-14, 05:52 PM
craigsf
Driver School Candidate

Default Same Issue, with left driver-side light

I'm having the same issue for over a year now. The light goes on and off. Took it into Lexus Dealer and they said it's the balister and want $1,800.00 to fix. And that is without the $225.00 light bulb. What a joke... I was laughing at how much they said to replace a light bulb, but when they told me it was the balister and wanted 1800.00 I walked out and made a complaint to Lexus about how they are no longer a good manufactor of motor vehicles to trust and count on. That's way I spent the extra thousands, not to have these types of issues, let alone be so expensive to repair. Shame on Lexus and no more for me. Anyone know where to get a used or inexpesive Left driver light assembly please let me know...

Thank you and Good luck the rest of you owners

I have a 2006 GS 430.

Absolutely love the car, however I do have a new issue with my headlights.
Pretty much every time I drive at night, the headlights will both come on and then one will go off at some point. They almost always both come on, and then usually the left will go out while driving.
It doesn't happen necessarily immediately. Sometimes 2-3 minutes later, sometimes 20 min, sometimes they work fine.

I took it to a local shop and they said the whole assembly needs to be replaced on each side. (Parts alone $1200/each side) and apparently the bumper needs to come off. Seems a little ridiculous to me.

Is this as simple as the headlights just going out? or a ballast issue?
If headlights, obviously I can pop out a headlight pretty easily.
If ballast, how hard is that to change out?

Thanks for all the help[/QUOTE]
Old 03-07-14, 06:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

what year is your car? ballast is a tear and wear item, over time it will fail. it's just a matter of time, if it's over warranty, which means more than 4 yrs and 50k miles, i think it's just a fair game
Old 03-07-14, 07:35 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by craigsf
I'm having the same issue for over a year now. The light goes on and off. Took it into Lexus Dealer and they said it's the balister and want $1,800.00 to fix. And that is without the $225.00 light bulb. What a joke... I was laughing at how much they said to replace a light bulb, but when they told me it was the balister and wanted 1800.00 I walked out and made a complaint to Lexus about how they are no longer a good manufactor of motor vehicles to trust and count on. That's way I spent the extra thousands, not to have these types of issues, let alone be so expensive to repair. Shame on Lexus and no more for me. Anyone know where to get a used or inexpesive Left driver light assembly please let me know...

Thank you and Good luck the rest of you owners

I have a 2006 GS 430.

Absolutely love the car, however I do have a new issue with my headlights.
Pretty much every time I drive at night, the headlights will both come on and then one will go off at some point. They almost always both come on, and then usually the left will go out while driving.
It doesn't happen necessarily immediately. Sometimes 2-3 minutes later, sometimes 20 min, sometimes they work fine.

I took it to a local shop and they said the whole assembly needs to be replaced on each side. (Parts alone $1200/each side) and apparently the bumper needs to come off. Seems a little ridiculous to me.

Is this as simple as the headlights just going out? or a ballast issue?
If headlights, obviously I can pop out a headlight pretty easily.
If ballast, how hard is that to change out?

Thanks for all the help
[/QUOTE]

most likely your bulbs. Lots of posts in the last 6 months on exactly the same symptom. Mine was the pass side. Would turn on, then go out 2-20 min later. New bulbs from XenonDepot and zero problems since.
Old 03-09-14, 02:47 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After going through quite an ordeal to resolve the issue, in the end I discover it's just the bulb. Bought ballast for nothing. These bulbs just stop working after a few years. All there is to it.
Old 03-18-14, 11:38 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ice350
After going through quite an ordeal to resolve the issue, in the end I discover it's just the bulb. Bought ballast for nothing. These bulbs just stop working after a few years. All there is to it.
I disagree "a few years"

I replaced both bulbs and the problem stopped for 6 months. Then returned. I could blame Phillips I guess, but it's just all the little things that add up on the 3GS.

Issues I've encountered are:

1.) Bulbs shutting themselves off randomly
2.) Rear View Mirror that flaked off and looks terrible
3.) Loud road noise due to the way they're routing the brake air intake
4.) Uneven tire wear due to engineering defect
5.) Handling is mediocre
6.) Kinda rickety for a car in it's class.

I do think this will be my first and last Lexus car. For the price I had paid for this, I could have gotten something more solid. Maybe I'm done with the whole "mid luxury car" thing. I think I'd be happier with a truck or a 4x4 suv.
Old 03-18-14, 01:27 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Issues I've encountered are:
1.) Bulbs shutting themselves off randomly
more than likely bad bulbs and/or replaced with cheaper bulbs. for some reason these cars do not handle $30 hid bulbs very well

2.) Rear View Mirror that flaked off and looks terrible
theres a tsb for that

3.) Loud road noise due to the way they're routing the brake air intake
if you have run flats, that could be part of your problem as many people complain that run flats create a lot of road noise

4.) Uneven tire wear due to engineering defect
i wouldnt say "engineering defect" as much as i would say alignment

5.) Handling is mediocre
its luxury, not a sports car

6.) Kinda rickety for a car in it's class.
your car is also 8 years old...
Old 03-19-14, 01:45 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't know if the 430's his IXI, the OP is a different person.

If he's complaining about his 430, I really have zero problems with mine's. Like you said, replace good bulbs zero problems.

There's a TSB on the mirror I got done, and I've had zero problems on it since. It happens from car to car, so not like he should complain about the rigidity of the car IMO. BMW, Mercedes, all have it too, some even worst, where it's the 500+ lense on the side mirrors.

I don't have road noises, no complaints here.....

Also there's no engineering defect, there's CAMBER on the car for a reason, it's for handling specificities. Rotate your tires properly you won't have that problem .

The other questions, you've really spoken for everyone's part IXI .
Old 03-19-14, 12:06 PM
LADavidGS
Driver

+1 I concur with IXI.

Quick Reply: 2006 GS430 Headlight Issue, On and off