GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dealer "doesn't know" how to turn off DRL?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-14, 03:38 PM
Jjman79
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer "doesn't know" how to turn off DRL?!?

So I was at the dealer today getting my front brakes done, when I asked in passing if they could turn off my DRL. The tech immediately said no. So I left with the loaner went home and jumped on the forum. Sure enough there it is right in our owners manual. So upon receiving the phone call that my car is ready, I informed the service consultant to double check with the tech about the drl since it says right in the manual that they can do it. She puts me on hold then comes back to say that the 2 techs who are working have never been asked to do this before, and don't know how. REALLY!?! They don't know how!?! I thought lexus tech are expertly trained! Anyways she state that they would have to try and "figure it out" with the scan software and that would be an extra 115$ charge. Keeping in mind I just spent 420$ on brakes. So pretty pissed here....is there a way to disable the DRL without having to deal with the joker's at the dealer!?
Old 06-07-14, 07:05 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I just turned off my wife's last weekend with a bootleg Techstream program and mongoose cable I bought off Amazon for $30

Also turned off telescopic steering feature that raises and lowers steering wheel when key is in or out.
Old 06-07-14, 09:17 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

They are idiots at the Lexus dealer you went to, its very easy to do but you need techstream and a data cable. The following link will give you the required information...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tool-ever.html

I don't think I would go back to that Lexus dealer anymore and if you spent $400+ on breaks then I hope that included four rotors as well!!
Old 06-09-14, 03:38 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjman79
So I was at the dealer today getting my front brakes done, when I asked in passing if they could turn off my DRL. The tech immediately said no. So I left with the loaner went home and jumped on the forum. Sure enough there it is right in our owners manual. So upon receiving the phone call that my car is ready, I informed the service consultant to double check with the tech about the drl since it says right in the manual that they can do it. She puts me on hold then comes back to say that the 2 techs who are working have never been asked to do this before, and don't know how. REALLY!?! They don't know how!?! I thought lexus tech are expertly trained! Anyways she state that they would have to try and "figure it out" with the scan software and that would be an extra 115$ charge. Keeping in mind I just spent 420$ on brakes. So pretty pissed here....is there a way to disable the DRL without having to deal with the joker's at the dealer!?
Pretty sure they just don't want to do it as they should know through techstream.
Old 06-09-14, 04:32 PM
lex-ative
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't call them idiots per se... they probably DIDN'T want to do it due to liability reasons. It is a 'safety' feature of the car and they don't want to be responsible for someone not seeing you or judging your speed/distance during a cloudy day and crashing into you.

Stuff like that (disabling DRL, disabling seatbelt chime etc) are better done by yourself and most dealerships won't bother with those requests.

Just curious, why do you want to disable it?
Old 06-09-14, 07:54 PM
Jjman79
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never liked lights that don't turn off, it annoys the hell outta me. Plus they're that dull yellow color. But now that I know I can pick up the kit with the software from amazon, I'm all about it.
Old 06-09-14, 09:41 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YaMomma
They are idiots at the Lexus dealer you went to, its very easy to do but you need techstream and a data cable. The following link will give you the required information...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tool-ever.html

I don't think I would go back to that Lexus dealer anymore and if you spent $400+ on breaks then I hope that included four rotors as well!!
Great answer!

Originally Posted by lex-ative
I wouldn't call them idiots per se... they probably DIDN'T want to do it due to liability reasons. It is a 'safety' feature of the car and they don't want to be responsible for someone not seeing you or judging your speed/distance during a cloudy day and crashing into you.

Stuff like that (disabling DRL, disabling seatbelt chime etc) are better done by yourself and most dealerships won't bother with those requests.

Just curious, why do you want to disable it?