GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Clicking Sound in Brakes - How I eliminated it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 07:13 PM
GSteve350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Sound in Brakes - How I eliminated it.

Shortly after I purchased my 07 GS350 last weekend, I noticed a clicking (ticking?) sound coming from the front drivers wheel when I applied the brakes. It was most noticeable when I was idling along and gently applied the brakes. (That's really the only time I noticed it) It seemed to click once each time the wheel went around.

I followed the great DIY for brake pads in the IS - 2nd Generation forum (DIY: IS350 front brakes (w/o removing caliper) to take things apart.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...g-caliper.html

(I have to stop to say I think the brake design of the Lexus is the easiest to work on that I have ever seen).

After pulling the retaining cotter pin, pulling the hole pin out, removing the anti-rattle spring and the pads, I noticed that things seemed a little dirty. When I took the two shims off that are on each pad, I noticed that they had no lubrication between them and there was a little rust in there circle where they had contacted the piston. I also noticed that there was a light coat of rust on the ends of the brake pistons. In the midst of this rust there were several shiny spots that seems like there had been movement of some sort. (I wonder if that was the source of the noise?)

Here's what I did.

1. Cleaned up the hole pin, shims and anti-rattle clip using a wire wheel on a grinder (you can use a wire wheel attachment in a drill or steel wool for that matter). I also used a small wire brush and steel wool to clean the ends of the pistons.
2. I applied brake anti-squeal lubricant between the shims, to the circles where the shims contacted the pistons and to the hole pin where it was in contact with the pads.
3. Put everything back together and VOILA! No more clicking.

I'm actually not sure which of the actions that I took solved the problem. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could comment on that. All I did was what I considered a normal clean and lube that I would have done as part of a brake job.

I hope that this helps someone. I already gotten a lot of help from this fine forum.

Steve
Old 06-13-11, 09:19 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the shims needed a nice clean and lubricant. But good to hear you got rid of the noise.
Old 06-14-11, 03:46 AM
masterchri
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a TSB for this that I did through the dealership and it went away
Old 06-14-11, 04:08 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i just noticed the same thing from my front brakes as well. i put on new shims and grease a little less than 2 weeks ago so i don't think greasing the shims is the problem. it could be the rust and dirt that you cleaned up that fixed it. it doesn't bother me that much since this was one of the rare occasions i drove with the stereo turned down so i'll just leave it alone unless someone knows that this is a safety issue.