GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Thinking about a 350/450h instead of a Land Cruiser...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11, 08:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by memasterac
It seems to me you want the GS more then L.C. after the test drive...

I have two young kids and my GS is a garage queen because of the small trunk does not fit my stroller. The odo has less than 14,000 miles in last 4.5 years says it all. I can't wait in another 1/2 year I can finally get rid of the bulky stroller and start to drive my GS for family trips. Just my honest input.
man you are brave. with just one kid i already think the gs is a bit ridiculous, with 2 the gs would have disappeared from my garage...

but back on topic. i don't think the 3gs is a bad car or pos by any means, it's good for what it is (what shortcomings of course). but when it comes to size for what you need, sorry but i just don't think it's a good choice
Old 05-18-11, 09:49 AM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I would say you are leaning toward the right decision, for you, by replacing the LC with the GS, as long as you'll have another SUV. As with a lot of GS owners here, the only thing in question to me (and I'm taking your word for it here, as you already drove it ) is legroom of the GS. I believe you will find more personal comfort (more aminities and better driving pleasure) in your daily commute in the GS, and 90+% of its use.

You mentioned car and most of fuel are paid for, but if you care, there's environmental factor of not having the LC as your daily commuter. Though you will have the K5 and gas mileage will almost be as bad, but you won't drive it as much as your now LC, thus less impact. I used to have a LX470 and I averaged 15.5mpg at best.

My current set up is GS 450h for daily commute and 07 MDX for family. I have to find time/reason to drive the MDX at least once a week.
Old 05-18-11, 10:07 PM
99LX470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets switch this around a bit. B/C your asking IN the GS forum.... why did we buy a GS? For me, it was the driving experience. I have 2 kids and dont whats up in the back. I love driving the Car, its fun to punch around a bit and has every option I need except a place for my iphone. That said, I actually thought of taking the LX on a road trip for 'travel' comfort vs 'Drving' fun. If you dont care about the space (and honestly, the GS has plenty of space. Get a smaller stroller already), the GS is a great car. If your commute would let the GS be comfy. But as far as a spacious or 'K5' amount of space, the LC is a great car. Why would you even consider getting rid of the LC (aside of getting a car)? Is there a reason? The GS is not a POS, but your comparing apples and oranges here....
Old 05-19-11, 04:45 AM
bamachem
Driver School Candidate

We have a convertible Solara that we're going to keep instead of the LC. We live @ the Gulf Coast, so it's a no-brainer for us.

Be careful comparing the ride of the LX to a LC also. LX has AHC and my LC does not. However, my complaint is not ride, but the awkward angle of my knees while driving that's uncomfortable. As far as "fun" goes, the LC is fairly boring.

I have a 9hr drive today. I took the Solara because I took the LC on Tuesday for a 11hr round trip and my knees were killing me for the last 3+ hrs...
Old 05-19-11, 04:53 AM
bamachem
Driver School Candidate

Oh, and I drove my friends GS 350 to lunch yesterday while she sat behind me in the back. No issues w/ space for 3 of us. 4th adult wouldn't be a big deal, and something like that (quick trip) is the only time I would have 4 adults in the car.

Awesome road feel and FUN to drive!
Old 05-19-11, 08:46 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

bamachem...FWIW:

I have 2 kids...9 and 11. I have a GS, RX, and a 99 Volvo station wagon. Here is what I do:

GS: Daily driver to work...very fun to drive, very comfortable...a looker...I love it...I keep it clean. Force kids to remove shoes before entering (just kidding...kind of).

RX: Wife's car which see a lot of grocery and kid shuttle time.

Volvo V70: Worth more to me than the cash for selling it when I picked up the GS. Weekend drive around car that I park where ever not needing to overly obsess about dings. Cheap to keep around...$200/year tabs and insurance all in.

When taking the 10 hr road trip (which is once to twice a year), we rent a minivan. You would be surprised how cheap you can rent a car. Just plan ahead and wait for deals. Cost me about $170 for a week rental unlimited miles. Kids (and dog) made a mess in the car and I didnt care!

You might see some similarities to your situation. GS has a role...as long as you know what it is and what it is NOT, you will be on the right path. If you take this perspective and you love the car...I say have fun and go for it.
Old 05-20-11, 10:26 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bamachem
My boys are 7 and 4, so only booster seats.

Not one person on a GS forum saying go for tge GS... Must be a POS compared to the LC!

LOL

The LC has tons extra cargo room and not enough passenger leg room for my tastes. If I sell the LC for a GS, then we'll get a late 80's convertible full-size blazer as a 3rd vehicle too for towing/fishing, etc. Wife has an 05 convertible Solara now that will be replaced w/ an A5 or E conv next year.

The K5 will be my "toy" in this arrangement.

Still on the fence...
Like I said, I want to drive the GS if not for the reason I also need a useable trunk for large stroller so my SUV makes sense. In the short future when I only need an umbrella stroller I will drive the hell out of my GS. I think you will enjoy the GS a few more years before your kids turn into teenagers.
Old 06-04-11, 02:53 PM
silverg450
Driver School Candidate

Default LandCruiser

I have a LandCruiser (wife) and a GS450H. When we have a long trip to the beach or the mountains with the grandkids we'll take the LandCruiser for the space needed. But if it is a weekend trip with my wife into Houston or Dallas we will take the GS450h. Both have incredibily smooth rides and are very comfortable. Its just a matter of how much luggage and belongings my spouse wants to take with us. These are the best two vehicles I have ever owned.
Old 06-04-11, 04:14 PM
bamachem
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I put the Land Cruiser up for sale a week or so ago. When it sells, I will be buying a 450h in either black or matador red (favorite) with black interior. I am also getting a 2007 Yukon as a third vehicle to keep around. It's one of our company trucks on lease, and I'm getting it for the buyout cost, which is only a few thousand bucks. After all that, we're going to swap the convertible Solara for a convertible G37. Hope to be there by next spring....