GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Loose jumpy steering at low speed over bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-13, 09:20 AM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by promethus7
Mine does something similar but only does it when i have the wheel turned hard over in either direction at parking lot speed. Almost feels like the ride jumps up for a split second and then goes on about normal business. not sure if that is normal operation or not. Anyone else have a similar situation?
Exactly same here. Feel like the tire just ran over a tiny bump.
Old 12-30-13, 10:05 AM
mouin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Writing off Lexus vehicles is a bit much if you ask me. Our GS's have electronic steering rack, expect this.... It's a sporty style vehicle...... Now when you move onto the LS, ES, IS, etc. they're all power steering so it's a different story.

Hope the GS in general doesn't steer you away from future models.... The rest are just as dope IMO... and I've come to love my electronic steering. I don't know why all the hate on it
I'm writing off Lexus because:
- Out of factory, one of the engine valves had deformed socket. It took me 40k miles and a total of 4 months to convince the dealer of the problem, and to finally fix it.
- Less than 2 months after engine fix, my radio started changing channels by itself. Called the dealer who acknowledged this is a common problem, and go it fixed.
- Since I got the car, if I roll up the windows on auto, sometimes the window reverses thinking something is in its path. Called the dealer who acknowledged this being a common problem, but this time not much can be done about it as it's the auto-reverse feature that's doing that. They suggested closing the windows multiple times to make sure they all closed, and that's what I've been doing all along. I'm not sure all $50k luxury cars do that.
- Now with the bump steer, and after checking tire pressure, lose parts, wheel shake test, ... I'm not sure I have a solution. With this car, I don't dare taking my hands off of the steering wheel for even 1 second, and this is now becoming a big problem because I'm about to hand it off to my teen son who just got his license; not a chance while it has this problem.

As you can see, I have plenty of reasons to write off Lexus. I've always bought brand new cars just because I'd like to drive trouble free cars. From my $12k 1991 GTI all the way to my $40k 2005 G35 Infiniti, I've never (and I say never) had this much trouble with a single car. I'm now considering calling "lemon" on this car!!!
Old 12-30-13, 11:01 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

You may have gotten a "lemon" car. It's unfortunate that it's happened

I honestly feel your pain though, I wouldn't pay new for a car that has these type of problems constantly.

I also can chime in my opinion on the car....

My vehicle's a 2006, I purchased it pre-owned at 45k miles. I've had it for.... 4-5 years now? ZERO problems with it. Normal maintanence has been kept. If anything I've changed out suspension to stiffer components outside of factory (Coilovers, air susp. etc.) and I still have zero problems.

I do admit, when I first purchased the car, the first week the CD got stuck in the CD feeding slot, but one hard bump and that problem disappeared for GOOD (as in it never came back).

Outside of that I've had the gas cap go bad, causing a CEL to go off, which was fixed by dealer and the ordeal was thrown out the door.

Other than this, it was my nitpickiness that's had complaints on the vehicle.... Like dirty headlights, door panels loosening, etc. etc.

Every car is different, it is all dependent on weather, region, and etc. (the environment) and I'll say that your car, outside of the the valves being broken (since it IS a recall on the GS300s and GS350s). You shouldn't have gotten any of the other problems.

Moving onto BMW and MB, I have to say, I've witnessed nothing but annoyances and horror stories from those companies (I compare these two because they are, IMO, the same par as Lexus vehicle line-ups). I have friends coming from BMW and family that still own MB vehicles with nothing but complaints about their car taking dumps on them. So even though you've had all those problems, me in your shoes, at least the car didn't just FALL apart on the side of the road on ya! LOL!!

You should def stick with the infiniti's if you're steering away from Lexus though! I think outside of Lexus, Infiniti's one of the best built cars out there. They just waste a bit of gas when driving around.