GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Car detailing in & out! Help!

Old 03-09-16, 02:03 PM
Nicole2292
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Car detailing in & out! Help!

I'm new to this group so hi everyone! I need to know how to wash, wax and polish my car and sufficiently clean & condition the leather! I also need to know how to remove brake dust from the factory rims! I need to know exactly what to get because the people inside the auto parts stores don't have a clue they just work there! I'm new to this so any input is appreciated!
Old 03-09-16, 02:17 PM
Steve2424
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the interior leather, I use a damp towel/microfiber cloth and use that to wipe any dust/residue off the seats first -- not too wet as I don't want the weather to dry out. Then I use Lexol's leather cleaner (can be found at Autozone or any auto parts store) to clean the leather. I haven't used a conditioner on mine so maybe someone here can chime in with a good quality one -- but Meguire's or Mother's might make one and they seem to be reputable companies in this arena.

For the exterior I normally buy that 1 gallon soap from Autozone and use quite a bit in a 5-gallon pail along with a microfiber sponge. I normally go over my car twice -- first go around to get the majority of the dirt off, and then a new pail to give it a better cleaning since the first time can leave behind some dirt.

I haven't clay barred my car yet, but my last car I used a turtle wax claybar kit. Keep in mind to constantly keep remolding the clay if any dirt gets stuck on it, and also spray the area thoroughly with the claybar spray to avoid scratching the paint. I also have yet to wax A car lol. These 2 you don't normally need to do for EVERY wash depending on how often you 'can' wash your car, but claybar helps to remove any stuck on oil/dirt/grease/tar that gets etched into the paint and can be done accordingly.

For the wheels I would use a separate sponge and pail with new water & soap to take off the brake dust -- just elbow grease and a few times of going over the wheels, and through the nooks and crannies of it. I also use a bristled brush -- dipping it in the soapy water -- to clean the tires before I clean the rims. I then use a rubber shine spray -- turtle wax, or armor all (not too much, just enough to give it a clean, not too wet look) and go over the tires with it. WIpe the rims dry after all this to avoid any water and spray streaks.

Have fun!
Old 03-09-16, 03:56 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

There's a lot of good info on the forums at Autogeek.net. I use to work at a auto store and most don't know anything about detailing.

Some good over the counter stuff that you can pickup anywhere and what I use personally a few years ago. Keep in mind, this is what you can find at a Wal-Mart or an Auto store.

Interior:
Leather: Mothers VLR
Dash: Meguiar's Quick Interior detail and the Natural Shine Protectant
Windows: Invisible Glass or Newspaper
Wash: Meguiar's or Mothers
Tar & Bug remover
Clay Bar: Meguiar's or Mothers
Compound: same as above
Polish: same as above
Wax: Same as above
Wheels: Soap and water with a soft bristle brush
Tires: Any tire dressing
Exterior Touch up: Any Quick Detailer will do.
Tools: a lot of the detailing tools for air vents and cracks, good wash mitt, bug sponge, etc.

Every since I've been on the Autogeek forums, I've been using some stuff from Pinnacle, Wolfgang, 303, etc.

My arsenal right now that you can find at Autogeek:
Leather cleaner: Pinnacle Leather and Vinyl Cleaner
Leather Conditioner: Pinnacle Leather Conditioner
Dash: Meguair's Quick Detailer. (I was using the natural shine but I realize you can see the dash reflection in the winshield)
Wash: Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax
Clay Bar: Meguiar's
Wheels & Tires: Soap and Water
Compound/Polish: Pinnacle XMT 360
Wax: Pinnacle XMT 360
Meguiar DA power System with Red, Yellow and Black pads.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything. Most important thing is take your time, have fun and read the direction on the back of the compound/polish/wax bottles or any chemicals you will be using. It's a great learning experience. Any detailing forums can show you some tips and tricks.

Last edited by MX73; 03-09-16 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-09-16, 04:08 PM
ellags430
Rookie

found heaps of helpful tips in here....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
Old 03-09-16, 04:09 PM
ellags430
Rookie

also! dont forget chamois once its done, no good putting in such a huge effort to clean and let water spots and dust come back to where the water gathers
Old 03-09-16, 04:45 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I would order some leatherique rejuvenator and pristine clean, you can get it online. It's by far the best leather treatment product I've ever used, it's crazy how well it works, unfortunately it takes a while, you leave it on the seats when it's hot for about a day, but the results are phenomenal.
Old 03-10-16, 06:36 AM
Nicole2292
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everybody I'll look for these things later on today & try to make sure I get majority of them! I'll probably try it on my camry first just to be safe! I'll see how things go as far as the waxing and polishing goes!
Old 03-10-16, 10:42 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

This! I'm no detail guru, but I do use a lot of the products MX73 uses.

Originally Posted by MX73
There's a lot of good info on the forums at Autogeek.net. I use to work at a auto store and most don't know anything about detailing.

Some good over the counter stuff that you can pickup anywhere and what I use personally a few years ago. Keep in mind, this is what you can find at a Wal-Mart or an Auto store.

Interior:
Leather: Mothers VLR
Dash: Meguiar's Quick Interior detail and the Natural Shine Protectant
Windows: Invisible Glass or Newspaper
Wash: Meguiar's or Mothers
Tar & Bug remover
Clay Bar: Meguiar's or Mothers
Compound: same as above
Polish: same as above
Wax: Same as above
Wheels: Soap and water with a soft bristle brush
Tires: Any tire dressing
Exterior Touch up: Any Quick Detailer will do.
Tools: a lot of the detailing tools for air vents and cracks, good wash mitt, bug sponge, etc.

Every since I've been on the Autogeek forums, I've been using some stuff from Pinnacle, Wolfgang, 303, etc.

My arsenal right now that you can find at Autogeek:
Leather cleaner: Pinnacle Leather and Vinyl Cleaner
Leather Conditioner: Pinnacle Leather Conditioner
Dash: Meguair's Quick Detailer. (I was using the natural shine but I realize you can see the dash reflection in the winshield)
Wash: Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax
Clay Bar: Meguiar's
Wheels & Tires: Soap and Water
Compound/Polish: Pinnacle XMT 360
Wax: Pinnacle XMT 360
Meguiar DA power System with Red, Yellow and Black pads.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything. Most important thing is take your time, have fun and read the direction on the back of the compound/polish/wax bottles or any chemicals you will be using. It's a great learning experience. Any detailing forums can show you some tips and tricks.