GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Front Axle Bearing / Hub Assembly Failed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 04:35 PM
joe_gunn
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Front Axle Bearing / Hub Assembly Failed!

Friends,
On my 2006, GS300-AWD, 89,000 miles:
I’ve been hearing a “chomping” and gentle “grinding” sounds from my front driver-side wheel at all speeds (though louder “whining” at higher speeds). The alignment is perfect and drives well otherwise. Took it to the dealer and they confirmed that it is the driver-side front “Hub and Bearing assembly” that needs to be replaced. The number they gave me for the part is: 43560-30030 but I cannot find it anywhere on the web. Moreover, they want $800 for the job which includes the $335 bearing assembly. I tried finding the right part on the web for less $$$ but am coming up with many different versions and am not sure which one is the right one. Secondly I’d like to do the job on my own (and save the $800) and would like to ask the experts here, how difficult is this job (say on a scale of 1 to 10). I am an electrical engineer and have moderate abilities in mechanics. But I do not know if I need unique tools to do this job, or what steps are required to do this.

1. Can someone please recommend a reliable source (preferably an OEM) and a correct part # where I can get this part.

2. Can someone let me know what would I need to do to (in order) to get this thing replaced.

3. Are there special tools that I need to buy to do this?

Many thanks
Joe
Old 02-18-11, 05:09 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_gunn
Friends,
On my 2006, GS300-AWD, 89,000 miles:
I’ve been hearing a “chomping” and gentle “grinding” sounds from my front driver-side wheel at all speeds (though louder “whining” at higher speeds). The alignment is perfect and drives well otherwise. Took it to the dealer and they confirmed that it is the driver-side front “Hub and Bearing assembly” that needs to be replaced. The number they gave me for the part is: 43560-30030 but I cannot find it anywhere on the web. Moreover, they want $800 for the job which includes the $335 bearing assembly. I tried finding the right part on the web for less $$$ but am coming up with many different versions and am not sure which one is the right one. Secondly I’d like to do the job on my own (and save the $800) and would like to ask the experts here, how difficult is this job (say on a scale of 1 to 10). I am an electrical engineer and have moderate abilities in mechanics. But I do not know if I need unique tools to do this job, or what steps are required to do this.

1. Can someone please recommend a reliable source (preferably an OEM) and a correct part # where I can get this part.

2. Can someone let me know what would I need to do to (in order) to get this thing replaced.

Many thanks
Joe
I had a wheel bearing start to go out on mine not too long ago. It would make a clicky/pinging sound like rocks in a tin can noise when making slow turns from the right passenger side. I never let it get to the point where I could hear anything at speed. It was replaced under warranty, with the explanation being that the boot that seals it was warped and allowed moisture in.

Order it online from Sewell, they should be able to help you locate the correct part if you call or email them. You can also get CL pricing if you mention it.

Now I'm just hoping either the other side goes out before the warranty is done (or that it lasts forever... I'll take either way). Fact that one side went bad does not have me very optimistic about it's partner.

I can't give you any specifics but since it's an entire hub assembly that is getting replaced I doubt you need special tools. I have no idea how it could take them more than 3 hours to replace one wheel hub.
Old 02-18-11, 06:14 PM
joe_gunn
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Jay,

I tried Sewell, but they didn't have the part for 2006. I did find a similar part at Lexus of Pembroke in FL., but will have to call them during work hours tomorrow to confirm if its the right part. They had the part for $200; that $135 less than the dealer!
Old 02-18-11, 07:12 PM
BinaryJay

Thanks Jay,

I tried Sewell, but they didn't have the part for 2006. I did find a similar part at Lexus of Pembroke in FL., but will have to call them during work hours tomorrow to confirm if its the right part. They had the part for $200; that $135 less than the dealer!
I'm pretty sure it's the same part for every 3GS.

If Sewell doesn't have it on hand they order it from Lexus just like every other dealer. Are you sure they told you they couldn't get it?
Old 02-20-11, 07:09 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

did you guys have any vibrations at all? wondering if the vibration without any noise is an indication of bad wheel bearing.
op, you can also try here..
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214915
Old 02-20-11, 07:24 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by stvincent
did you guys have any vibrations at all? wondering if the vibration without any noise is an indication of bad wheel bearing.
op, you can also try here..
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214915
Wheel bearing almost always has no other symptoms other than being noisy. Starts off clicky and eventually sounds like your car is a jet plane as all of the lubricant is gone and/or completely contaminated. All the wheel bearings are, are - bearings... that allow the wheel to spin.

Had bearings go bad a few cars ago on a Ford. I remember, I didn't even notice until somebody got into the car and asked me "Is this thing a V8, it's so loud...".

When they fail completely, your wheel can seize up and if it seizes at speed it will - well, likely snap off your whole axle and make you lose control of the car. Luckily it takes a hell of a long time of ignoring the awful noise for that to happen.
Old 02-20-11, 08:46 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Binary, when you took your car in for warranty work, was your car lowered? Curious if they gave you a bad time for your car being modified. Some dealerships I know try to avoid doing warranty work because they say by modifying the car it voids the warranty.
Old 02-20-11, 09:19 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Default Same noise

I am having similiar noises on my 2006 AWD GS300 -- any way to confirm (other than going to the dealership) that this part is broken?
Old 02-20-11, 09:54 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by Kcook700
Binary, when you took your car in for warranty work, was your car lowered? Curious if they gave you a bad time for your car being modified. Some dealerships I know try to avoid doing warranty work because they say by modifying the car it voids the warranty.
No, it's an AWD and I've never wanted it lowered. They gave me no trouble at all, just replaced it. I can see some dealers using an aftermarket lowering solution as an excuse to deny coverage on this, though.

One way you can diagnose a possible wheel bearing issue is to lift the car and try to wiggle the wheel back and forth on the hub. There should not be any play, if there is, then likely the hub is going south.
Old 02-21-11, 04:08 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Joe

1) click here looks like you can get the part for about $250. Look at the diagram, you need part #2.

2) there should be plenty diy online. its pretty much the same procedure on each car.

3) i dont think you need any special tools. Ive never changed a wheel bearing but from what i remember there are no special tools involved. could be wrong though.
Old 02-21-11, 11:38 AM
mr2slo4u
Driver School Candidate

Weird.

I've noticed the same hub bearing noise on my GS as well, hopefully it will be another recall in the near future.
Old 02-21-11, 03:04 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wheel bearing replacement is not generally a DIY job. You'll need a hydraulic press to do so. Although you mean be able to just take the knuckle apart and bring it down to a local garage and ask them to press the old bearing out and the new bearing in. This should save you some money.
Old 02-21-11, 03:27 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Wheel bearing replacement is not generally a DIY job. You'll need a hydraulic press to do so. Although you mean be able to just take the knuckle apart and bring it down to a local garage and ask them to press the old bearing out and the new bearing in. This should save you some money.
If you're replacing the whole hub, you don't need to press anything do you? I thought with these cars the whole assembly needs replacement and you can't just by a new race and bearings.
Old 02-21-11, 03:55 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought only ball joints needed to be pressed in? Again I'm not too familiar with wheel bearings so I dunno.
Old 02-21-11, 04:06 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
If you're replacing the whole hub, you don't need to press anything do you? I thought with these cars the whole assembly needs replacement and you can't just by a new race and bearings.
I guess it's car-dependent, really. Some Toyota's have the bearing and hub all pressed together into the knuckle. My response came from the assumption that our cars were the same (shame on me! been a long time!). I looked at the repair manual and found this to not be true at all. Front and rear hubs/bearings are replaced as a unit. No press needed.

See attached instructions for front and rear.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FrontHubReplacement.pdf (96.6 KB, 1111 views)
File Type: pdf
RearHubReplacement.pdf (361.4 KB, 677 views)

Quick Reply: Front Axle Bearing / Hub Assembly Failed!