GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Smart Card Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 09:26 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Smart Card Key Programming

Ok quick question guys I'm about to purchase the smart card key from Sewell Lexus and was wondering what are the problems people have had with syncing these to the 2007 GS 450h or any 2007 GS and if you could give me some do's and don'ts for my service guy at lexus who will try this!
Old 02-16-11, 09:30 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's straight forward. The only time people had problems is when Sewell sent the wrong key. The FCC ID has to match. You can send Darrell your existing FCC ID from your current key to be sure.

Also remember when you program a key, you should take all your keys in at once.
Old 02-16-11, 10:51 AM
bigblack06

ok thanks!
Old 02-16-11, 11:13 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I tried to do this as well. You might double check with Sewell. I ordered the wrong part (card for 2009 GS), no fault to Sewell they are always awesome, but did receive the below email from Darrel. Sounds like they won't support this. I have asked for clarification as to why they posted it would work on this forum. I have yet to hear back. Let me know if you hear different. Until then I have given up on a smart card based on Sewell's feedback.

EMAIL FROM SEWELL:

If I may, there is nothing wrong with the part. What shipped was exactly the part number placed in your order. The reason I am making such a statement is on our site, we intentionally do not offer any application to a smart card to 2007 GS models. Regardless, I will accept your return but I am very reluctant to offer anything as a replacement to the attempt at providing a smart card to a model I have removed the application. You will need to access your account online to submit a return request.

I would humbly suggest you have your local dealer attempt to provide you with the smart card. It’s my opinion, you or the dealership will have a difficult time trying to find a card that will function correctly.

Darrel Diller
Sewell Parts
Dallas, TX 75209
sewellparts.com

Last edited by HUSKERnKS; 02-16-11 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-16-11, 11:19 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
I tried to do this as well. You might double check with Sewell. I ordered the wrong part, no fault to Sewell(card for 2009 GS), but did receive the below email from Darrel. Sounds like they won't support this. I have asked for clarification as to why they posted it would work on this forum. I have yet to hear back. Let me know if you hear different.

EMAIL FROM SEWELL:

If I may, there is nothing wrong with the part. What shipped was exactly the part number placed in your order. The reason I am making such a statement is on our site, we intentionally do not offer any application to a smart card to 2007 GS models. Regardless, I will accept your return but I am very reluctant to offer anything as a replacement to the attempt at providing a smart card to a model I have removed the application. You will need to access your account online to submit a return request.

I would humbly suggest you have your local dealer attempt to provide you with the smart card. It’s my opinion, you or the dealership will have a difficult time trying to find a card that will function correctly.

Darrel Diller
Sewell Parts
Dallas, TX 75209
sewellparts.com
ddiller@sewell.com
Yes i spoke to him i'm going to be the guinea pig for this and see what my service guys at lexus can do hopefully I can find the problem and can get everyone on the same page! will keep you guys posted.
Old 02-16-11, 11:31 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

You are making it sound like there is an experiment to be done here. It's not that complicated. You just need a key with a matching FCC ID. When I did this the first time we had a problem too. Turned out Sewell sent a key with a non matching ID.

See this photo of my smartcard and my smart key. Notice the FCC IDs match.

Old 02-16-11, 12:01 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by *Batman*
You are making it sound like there is an experiment to be done here. It's not that complicated. You just need a key with a matching FCC ID. When I did this the first time we had a problem too. Turned out Sewell sent a key with a non matching ID.

See this photo of my smartcard and my smart key. Notice the FCC IDs match.

actually it is an experiment cause apparently people have returned a lot of the smart cards stating they do not work with the car so I would be paying and if it does not work it would be a money loss to me so technically I'm hoping it will work!
Old 02-16-11, 12:10 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigblack06
actually it is an experiment cause apparently people have returned a lot of the smart cards stating they do not work with the car so I would be paying and if it does not work it would be a money loss to me so technically I'm hoping it will work!
Yes but that is because they are ordering the smart card without specifying the FCC ID.

See if you look at this listing it doesn't specify an FCC ID.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2009/2694.html

I can tell you for a fact that the 2009 ES350 and 2009 GS350 have different FCC IDs. So some people who order of this link will get the wrong card and will be unable to program it.
Old 02-16-11, 12:14 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Which is exactly what my dumba** did. :-)
Old 02-16-11, 12:53 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through this ordeal a few months ago.

I ordered the (matching FCC ID) smart card from Sewell. Having read about the problems some have had getting their cards programmed, I went to my dealership armed with step by step programming instructions courtesy of a fellow member here on CL.

Long story short, they tried several times to program the card, but they couldn't get it to work. Fortunately Sewell gave me a refund. To be frank, they weren't much help beyond making the sale and providing the refund. This despite my efforts to get further instruction, arrange for a conference call between my dealership tech and theirs, etc.

A shame, really. If someone could get their @#$! together and establish a proper programming procedure, these things would probably fly off the shelf.
Old 02-16-11, 01:04 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CAK 500
I ordered the (matching FCC ID) smart card from Sewell. Having read about the problems some have had getting their cards programmed, I went to my dealership armed with step by step programming instructions courtesy of a fellow member here on CL.

Long story short, they tried several times to program the card, but they couldn't get it to work.
That's interesting. I have found three dealerships who got it right on the first attempt, and only one of them had programmed a smart card before. The first was Lexus of Roswell in Atlanta (programmed my parents car), the other two were Lexus of Kendall and Lexus of North Miami which programmed my car.

I wonder if there is indeed some complication with the 2007 models. Our cars are 08 and 09.
Old 02-16-11, 01:21 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Programming instructions here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...o-the-car.html
Old 02-16-11, 03:16 PM
bigblack06

hopefully this will work otherwise I'm throwing away money on this thing.
Old 02-16-11, 03:54 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
hopefully this will work otherwise I'm throwing away money on this thing.
Why wouldn't you just return it?

I did some thread combing, and I found two '07 GS owners that had (successfully programmed) smart cards. So apparently it can be done. I sent them both PM's and will share any insights if I get any. I would still love to replace my fob with this card; one less thing to have to keep track of.
Old 02-16-11, 04:31 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Batman,

It looks like your ID's don't completely match. One ends in ABB the other in AAB. Do they not need to match exactly?

Quick Reply: Smart Card Key Programming