GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How to do the best launch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 09:38 PM
xxrap985xx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile How to do the best launch?

Hey guys,

So its been 3 wonderful weeks with my g350 and I was wondering what is the best way to a launch from stop on the gs? It's awd and this my first awd.
Should I have the power button down, traction control off, and manual sport mode down to first gear?

Also why does the car default to 4th gear when I put it in manual mode?
Old 02-09-11, 09:41 PM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't answer any of your questions but find it interesting your car defaults to 4th mine is 5th..congratulations on your new ride.
Old 02-09-11, 09:50 PM
xxrap985xx
Driver

Thanks. Yea man I find that vert weird. Maybe that's the gear with the most tork?
Old 02-09-11, 10:06 PM
DftMachine
Rookie

The best way that I have found to launch is turn TC off and in PWR Mode. The manual mode I found to be pretty useless because it shifts by itself if you don't shift before the car wants to and even if you shift before red-line, the car still shifts when it wants to. I thought the transmission was pretty slow to respond. The manual mode is only useful when down shifting but without rev matching, I can't imagine it being good on the transmission.

I think it shifts to the gear depending on how you're driving. I was doing a little spirited driving in D and shifted over to S and it dropped the car down to 3rd and even 2nd. My car usually goes to 4th though
Old 02-09-11, 10:14 PM
xxrap985xx
Driver

Originally Posted by DftMachine
The best way that I have found to launch is turn TC off and in PWR Mode. The manual mode I found to be pretty useless because it shifts by itself if you don't shift before the car wants to and even if you shift before red-line, the car still shifts when it wants to. I thought the transmission was pretty slow to respond. The manual mode is only useful when down shifting but without rev matching, I can't imagine it being good on the transmission.

I think it shifts to the gear depending on how you're driving. I was doing a little spirited driving in D and shifted over to S and it dropped the car down to 3rd and even 2nd. My car usually goes to 4th though
Thanks man I'll try that out.
Old 02-09-11, 10:23 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

My car defaults to 5th.

But here's the strange thing I haven't been able to explain yet, perhaps members can do that for me here.

In manual mode, my car upshifts automatically, I can't get it to hold gear! However.... there have been times where it has. It will hit the rev limiter and keep bouncing off it!

I don't know when and why it does that. I have tried launching with traction on and off, I still can't pinpoint when it holds gear!

I will try to get a video up of it doing that if possible. Fingers crossed!
Old 02-09-11, 11:23 PM
DftMachine
Rookie

Originally Posted by designo
My car defaults to 5th.

But here's the strange thing I haven't been able to explain yet, perhaps members can do that for me here.

In manual mode, my car upshifts automatically, I can't get it to hold gear! However.... there have been times where it has. It will hit the rev limiter and keep bouncing off it!

I don't know when and why it does that. I have tried launching with traction on and off, I still can't pinpoint when it holds gear!

I will try to get a video up of it doing that if possible. Fingers crossed!
I know that it won't shift if you're drifting and the tires break traction. It'll just bounce at the rev limiter until the tires grip again and then it'll shift on its own. I wish I had more control over the transmission or just a good old 6 speed
Old 02-09-11, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by DftMachine
I know that it won't shift if you're drifting and the tires break traction. It'll just bounce at the rev limiter until the tires grip again and then it'll shift on its own. I wish I had more control over the transmission or just a good old 6 speed
no, shouldn't be. if for example you select 3, it should only go from 1 to 2 to 3 and just keep on bouncing off the limiter in 3rd, no matter if you are losing traction or going straight
Old 02-10-11, 12:07 AM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

When you say it upshifts automatically do you mean the numbers increase as your speed increase? or it shifts up even though it says your still on 1 or 2 or 3 etc etc. When I shift to S mine defaults at 4. I never had it automatically shift though. One time I forgot I shifted it to 1 and started driving i was going like 30+ and it didn't shift up.
Old 02-10-11, 12:19 AM
DftMachine
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
no, shouldn't be. if for example you select 3, it should only go from 1 to 2 to 3 and just keep on bouncing off the limiter in 3rd, no matter if you are losing traction or going straight
hmm. why is it that my car shifts from 1 to 3 when i only shift once? On hard accelerations in first gear, I wait until the shift point and I shift up once but on the dash, it goes from 1 to 3
Old 02-10-11, 02:07 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

In manual mode, my car will not upshift on it's own if I'm not at Wide Open Throttle! However, once I stomp on it at full throttle, it will upshift on it's own even though I have it in manual mode. The shift numbers go up as the car shifts up, but it does it on it's own!

Here's what happened at the drag strip a couple of weeks ago. My first run was 14.2, and just when I though I could improve on that time, my 2nd run was 14.4, I watched the onboard video carefully and realised what happened!

Note: My runs were all done in D mode. In this case I didn't want a surprise bounce off rev limits just in case.

1. First run, traction half off ( just pressed once without holding it for 5 secs )
I did the burnt out but enough not to have the car shift to 2nd while spinning tires. This way.. the traction remains off! Hence, why the car wheel hopped on take off!

2. Second run, traction half off ( just pressed once without holding it for 5 secs )the car shifted to 2nd while spinning tires on burn out, switching traction back on in the process. I didn't realise it. So when taking off the line, the car bogged and hence the slow run!

Maybe it was a blessing, cause I had no intention of letting off the second time when the car wheel hopped! Which would probably have busted my rear end!
Old 02-10-11, 05:50 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The car is automatic, what a strange question.

Pedal to the metal and hang on.
Old 02-10-11, 06:51 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

our car wont hold gear. I know from a former member that boosted his 2gen GS that SRT had to cut a wire to tune the car and allow it to hold gear. I had my car at a Dyno about a year ago to get baseline #'s and we had no luck no matter what we tried. I had this member with us to try every possible option.

Talking with one of the techs at the dealer I was told that one of our biggest issues is the speed sensor seeing that the rears are spinning while the fronts are not and throwing off all the electronics.

As for the manual mode Im with rominl. The car will shift to the gear you have selected and stop there. It can and will downshift on its own if necessary but it shouldnt be up shifting past the gear you see selected. If you just tap it over on my RWD it goes to 5th gear. Maybe on the AWD it goes to 4th gear and I would assume this is a safety issue so that someone doesnt drop the car in to low of a gear while moving.
Old 02-10-11, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
In manual mode, my car will not upshift on it's own if I'm not at Wide Open Throttle! However, once I stomp on it at full throttle, it will upshift on it's own even though I have it in manual mode. The shift numbers go up as the car shifts up, but it does it on it's own!

Here's what happened at the drag strip a couple of weeks ago. My first run was 14.2, and just when I though I could improve on that time, my 2nd run was 14.4, I watched the onboard video carefully and realised what happened!

Note: My runs were all done in D mode. In this case I didn't want a surprise bounce off rev limits just in case.

1. First run, traction half off ( just pressed once without holding it for 5 secs )
I did the burnt out but enough not to have the car shift to 2nd while spinning tires. This way.. the traction remains off! Hence, why the car wheel hopped on take off!

2. Second run, traction half off ( just pressed once without holding it for 5 secs )the car shifted to 2nd while spinning tires on burn out, switching traction back on in the process. I didn't realise it. So when taking off the line, the car bogged and hence the slow run!

Maybe it was a blessing, cause I had no intention of letting off the second time when the car wheel hopped! Which would probably have busted my rear end!
i wonder if cars in your region are different? i think you aren't the first to say this happening, i think rider also sees the same?
Old 02-10-11, 09:26 AM
xxrap985xx
Driver

so there are two mode on the traction control? half and full disengaged? thats just like my bmw...
is that the button in the drop down panel on the left side of the steering wheel?

Quick Reply: How to do the best launch?