GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire Pressure Sensor HELP - RESET

Old 02-05-11, 11:52 PM
mcamson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Sensor HELP - RESET

Ok, so I've done a search and have noticed a lot of inconsistency. Can someone with reliable information please share?

I have aftermarket wheels and the tire pressure sensors have been transferred over. Since I went from the stock 17" wheels to 20" wheels, I had to increase the tire pressure from 32 to about 38.

1) I'm assuming that since the pressure is now higher with the 20" wheels, the tire pressure sensor won't warn me unless it drops below a really low level (maybe somewhere around 28psi). Is there any way I can set a higher threshold so that they come on at around 36 psi?

2) The tire shop that installed the wheels transferred over the sensor, but I'm not sure if they actually work since the warning light has ever came on. Do I need to take the car to the dealership for them to start working again?

Based on the my research, some people are saying that only the dealer can reset the TPS so they can start working again. Others are saying that I can reset it myself, but does this reset actually raise the threshold?

Thanks
Old 02-06-11, 06:18 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they weren't t working the light on the dash would come on to check system and the low tire light would be on and there is a reset button on the driverside below the dash that will allow you to change the tire pressure it reads but you will need to check the owners manual to find out exactly how to set the numbers I can t remember
Old 02-06-11, 09:55 AM
mcamson
Pole Position

I followed the instructions in the manual and that didn't work. It says to leave the car running until a message appears on the screen. That message never came up. I don't think that those instructions change the threshold. Does anyone have experience with this?
Old 02-06-11, 12:06 PM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This what I did to reset my TPMS pressure: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pressure.html
Old 02-06-11, 12:32 PM
mcamson
Pole Position

1) Is the initial pressure msg suppose to stay on the screen? Mine goes away after the indicator light blinks the 3rd time.

2) My tmps warning light is not on. How am I suppose to know if the reset worked? My car has been running for 20 mins but no change.

3) Can I drive my car during the reset or does it have to be parked?
Old 02-06-11, 12:43 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vehicle has to be parked during initialization.

When you hold the initialization button and the light flashes 3 times on the dash, the process is complete.

Where ever you have the tires set when you initialize the system, it is my understanding that current pressure becomes the new standard. The threshold is a 5psi difference from that initial pressure.

I've initialized systems where the customer wanted their vehicle at 42psi where manufacturer spec is 32psi, no problems occured.

Hope this helps. If need be I can try and attach some documents directly from Toyota that might have more info on this subject.
Old 02-06-11, 12:58 PM
mcamson
Pole Position

If it's already initialized after the third light, then why does the manual say to leave it running for 20 mins? My third light goes off within ten seconds of holding the button.

My car has been running for 20 mins in park. How do I know it's complete?
Old 02-06-11, 02:21 PM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the TPMS has been truly re-initalized to 38psi, then reduce the pressure in one of your tires to 32psi and see if the low pressure light goes on after you drive the car awhile.
Old 02-06-11, 10:23 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the running for 20 minutes thing is to let it have enough time to clear the warning light. I guess you can leave it on or run it, doesn't matter. The instruction was not very clear on that. In my case the TPMS battery died, so it showed the tpms light and the master warning light. The tire pressure is not low at all.
Old 02-07-11, 06:23 AM
Spooled
Lead Lap

When the system detects a malfunction in the any of the sensors it will either make the low tire light come on, even though tire pressures are correct. Most cases the low tire light will flash on and off non-stop when it doesnt detect a sensor at all (low sensor battery, or unregistered sensor ID).

As to why it tells you to leave the car sitting for 20 mins I can only assume its due to the TPWS ECU running its checks to make sure that all tires/sensors/psi/calibration are in spec. I've adjusted pressures, initialized systems and shipped cars in under 5 mins, no worries. I wouldnt worry about it.

Set your tires to your preference, hold the reset button while parked. Wait until the light flashes 3 times. Done.
Old 02-07-11, 08:48 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

apologies if this has been discussed already but make sure the spare is properly inflated.
Old 02-07-11, 08:31 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gsexy300
apologies if this has been discussed already but make sure the spare is properly inflated.
As long as its a fullsize spare with a tpws sensor***

Temporary spare does not apply. rofl
Old 02-10-11, 07:52 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Spooled
As long as its a fullsize spare with a tpws sensor***

Temporary spare does not apply. rofl
True. Fortunately the original owner dumped my runflats for General UHPs, and thus I have a regular full-size spare.
Old 02-10-11, 08:03 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

OP you'll probably know if it works if you drive about 30 minutes. I believe that's about the time it takes driving to trigger the check lights again (if it didn't work).
Old 02-20-11, 01:51 PM
mcamson
Pole Position

My spare is that ugly looking donut wheel. Is that considered a full size spare? My guess is no.

So if I'm understanding you guys correctly, I set the psi to 38, wait for light to flash 3 times. Leave car running, then drop psi to 32. Drive around for 30 mins to see if my TPS light turns on. If it does, then my recalibration worked right?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensor HELP - RESET