GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Poor Gas mileage (22 mpg @60 mph)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 01:13 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the 6th gear issue forever. I don't think it's an issue but normal. Car will not go into overdrive until it reaches a certain temperature. For me I know when it's about to shift because it's about 2 notches above the C on the temperature gauge. You would only notice this if you live close to a freeway and get up to 6th gear while the engine is still cold. Mine takes about 4-5 minutes to warm up to allow it to go into 6th. I just take it easy and go 60 mph (speed limit) until it shifts, then up to normal speed 70 mph+ on the freeway (I have a reverse commute no traffic in the morning).
Old 02-03-11, 01:14 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Also I only notice this in the winter on cold mornings (sub 45F)..
Old 02-03-11, 01:49 PM
skim07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so 17 city/ 19 highway is not good? That's what I average lately.
Old 02-03-11, 05:38 PM
dwiall
Driver

Thanks BinaryJay. The explanation you gave on the manual shift makes perfect sense.

I just took the car out (14 F) and the tranny shift seemed to be somewhat sooner, I would say about 3 miles. It may just be a temp thing but I doubt it. My Toyota Solara has the opisite problem. Will not shift out of 1st until you get the rpms way past the normal, warm shift point. Not sure how the tranny works but would think if it was a temp thing it would do it in other gears also, who knows.

ChuckGS350, I would think the mpg would be better in cold weather, the air is densor so more O2 and more power per stroke.

mmade22, I going to look at a 2008 CLS550 tomorrow and will probably trade in the GS. If I don't, I will talk to the dealer about the mpg and the tranny on Monday. Let me know what you find out on Tuesday.
Old 02-04-11, 07:41 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dwiall
So coming home last night I put it in shift mode and it said I was in 6th after shifting up 2 from 4th. Car was not in 6th so I kick it down and it went to 2nd or 3rd and when I let up it went to 6th. Two things, 1). Thought it was suppossed to stay in the selected gear when you were in manual mode. 2). looks like I have to basically get the rpms way up to build fluid pressure before it will shift into 6th. I guess I will call the stealer and see what they say.

I did reset the ECU this morning and on first try it did not start. I guess this is a good sign, as it had to adjust itself. The motor runs very smooth and I no-longer hear the fuel injectors. I will see how the mpg is on the way to work.
I want to clarify how you put it in "shift" mode. Did you just move the lever to the left, or did you move it to the left AND push it forward or backward to actually put it in manual mode?
Old 02-04-11, 08:28 AM
dwiall
Driver

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I want to clarify how you put it in "shift" mode. Did you just move the lever to the left, or did you move it to the left AND push it forward or backward to actually put it in manual mode?
I slowed to about 40 mph and slid it to the left and it goes into 4th on the readout. I then pushed up twice to go into 6th and the readout said 6 but car was in 5th. I then punched it and it dropped down a few gears and went into 6th when I let up, rpms ~1700@60 mph.

As someone else mentioned. Their's does not go into 6th until the temp gauge gets just before the second hash mark (not counting the large baseline line) I observed the same thing coming home last night. 14 degrees F and at 5 miles it shifted into 6th just as the temp gauge was just before the second hash mark. I do not know what to make of this. Almost seems like there is something that will not let it shift until temp is up. I could assume this is because in 6th the motor really does not have enough torque to over come the fluid viscosity and would lug the motor until warm. When it does go into 6th it will drop back to 5th if I even think about touching the gas. As it warms up, I can apply more gas before it shifts down to 5th. This is about all I can think of now.

Read BinaryJay's explanation on how the manual mode is designed to work, it is not like a stick shift where it stays in the gear you select.

Hope this helps
Dave
Old 02-04-11, 08:30 AM
dwiall
Driver

Originally Posted by jjscsix
PS. How do you like the Z06? I am torn between that and a Mercedes CLS63 AMG.
Old 02-04-11, 05:06 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks BinaryJay. The explanation you gave on the manual shift makes perfect sense.

ChuckGS350, I would think the mpg would be better in cold weather, the air is densor so more O2 and more power per stroke.

I think otherwise because the engine burns more fuel to keep it at operating temperature. Especially at hwy speed.
Old 02-04-11, 06:39 PM
dwiall
Driver

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
I think otherwise because the engine burns more fuel to keep it at operating temperature. Especially at hwy speed.
I think my radiator is always removing heat from my engine no-matter how cold it is to keep it at optimum operating temp.

I don't think the ECU uses engine temp as a controlable variable. What I mean is, I don't think the ECU sees the engine temp is low and says I need to add more fuel to warm it up. Also, running an engine lean will heat it up and destroy it very quickly, it will go like a raped ape, but not for long. running rich, (more fuel) will run cooler, the unburnt fuel will carry the heat out.

Everything I have ever owned that runs on gas, runs noticibly better in cool weather. This is another reason people buy cold air intakes and add air coolers for turbos and blowers.
Old 02-05-11, 12:36 AM
AndyUK
Rookie

I slowed to about 40 mph and slid it to the left and it goes into 4th on the readout. I then pushed up twice to go into 6th and the readout said 6 but car was in 5th. I then punched it and it dropped down a few gears and went into 6th when I let up, rpms ~1700@60 mph.

As someone else mentioned. Their's does not go into 6th until the temp gauge gets just before the second hash mark (not counting the large baseline line) I observed the same thing coming home last night. 14 degrees F and at 5 miles it shifted into 6th just as the temp gauge was just before the second hash mark. I do not know what to make of this. Almost seems like there is something that will not let it shift until temp is up. I could assume this is because in 6th the motor really does not have enough torque to over come the fluid viscosity and would lug the motor until warm. When it does go into 6th it will drop back to 5th if I even think about touching the gas. As it warms up, I can apply more gas before it shifts down to 5th. This is about all I can think of now.

Read BinaryJay's explanation on how the manual mode is designed to work, it is not like a stick shift where it stays in the gear you select.

Hope this helps
Dave
In my old Soarer (SC) this was in the user manual - it's programmed to not use top gear until warmed up a bit. I expect our GS are the same.
Old 02-05-11, 06:55 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyUK
In my old Soarer (SC) this was in the user manual - it's programmed to not use top gear until warmed up a bit. I expect our GS are the same.
I'm pretty sure that is the case....you have to let your engine warm up....
Old 02-06-11, 06:48 AM
AndyUK
Rookie

Tested mine yesterday, crusing at motorway speed from cold. Didn't shift into top gear until the temp gauge crept above the first mark above xero.
Old 02-06-11, 09:39 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nehal51086
I'm pretty sure that is the case....you have to let your engine warm up....
It's actually the transmission fluid temperature which you can't see on the dash but obviously it's tied to the engine coolant temperature. It's obviously a measure to increase the reliability of the transmission to keep it from working too hard with thick fluid.