GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS vs. IS!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 10:51 PM
Riceater
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS vs. IS!?

Well as the title says, I'm trying to compare the 2006 Lexus IS350/250 to the GS300/430. I'm selling my C6 and trying to get into something a little more luxurious but also cheaper and the best bang for buck I can find is the Lexus.

My mom has an IS350 and I love it; however, it doesn't have the NAV or ML.. she doesn't see the point (old people.. lol). I love the IS though, it has an amazing turning radius, decent gas mileage, good handling, nice looking gauges, and is fairly quick for a luxury car. Rear leg room could be better though, which is why I'm looking at the GS.

I drove a GS and loved everything about it as well. However, I drove an 09 GS350.. not sure what differences there are between the 09 and 06 model GS but if they're basically the same then I'd love to own one.

I know I'm in the GS forum but what made you guys choose your GS over the IS? Anything particularly different when it comes to Navigation or Bluetooth features? Performance? Looks? Just curious and hoping I'll get some info that will help me make a decision.

Thanks,
- Tyler G.
Old 01-30-11, 10:55 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

06 gs300 has a 3.0L engine vs 09 gs350 with the 3.5L engine
Old 01-30-11, 10:56 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so far V6 have more issues than V8. More recalls.
Old 01-30-11, 11:08 PM
Riceater
Driver

Originally Posted by worker
so far V6 have more issues than V8. More recalls.
That's actually a really good point. My mom's IS350 has been in numerous times for recall work.. but Lexus always hooks her up with a new loaner. Last one was an 09 IS250 which was neat. Got to play with the bluetooth features a bit and was very impressed with what it could do.

To anyone with a GS300.. do you feel your car is "underpowered" or wish you had gone with the V8? Only reason I'd want a GS300 is for the AWD because our winters here occasionally call for it but I think I'd end up wanting more when it came to power.
Old 01-31-11, 03:36 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

06 - old nav, no MP3, underpowered. Go with 07+
Old 01-31-11, 04:26 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually the 06 doesn t have alot of the recalls that the 07+ have there is no valve spring recall, no break squeals, it also has a timing chain vs a belt which is a plus in my book. I have had very limited issues with my car and none that Lexus didn t rake care of. It may have less Hp I drive mine in power mode and she ll roll if need be.
Old 01-31-11, 04:41 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I have a 2007 GS350 AWD that's loaded. Although it has been through recalls and TSB's (Valve springs, brakes, squeals..etc), i still love it! It has a great turning radius, AWD, and decent leg room in the rear if thats what you're looking for.

Cons for me are: trunk and vibrations/ wobbles from being lowered!

A few difference between 06 and 09: Horsepower,Front end, side mirros, NAv and screen, steering wheel, shift know..and then some. Good luck!
Old 01-31-11, 06:07 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm happy with the performance of my 06 AWD. I do a mostly city driving (I live and work downtown) so it's not exactly like I get the open road to fully let it rip very often. It will seem a bit more sluggish vs an IS350 of course (what, with weighing more and having a slightly smaller engine).

Right now the number one thing that's bothering me is a new winter squeak that has developed somewhere along my dash/windshield when I go over a large bump. Sounds like a door that needs some grease. That's neither here nor there as it sounds like all years of almost all models have these mystery sound issues especially during the winter.
Old 01-31-11, 07:46 AM
Riceater
Driver

What's the MP3 feature? Didnt know the GS350 came in AWD, that alone may have just sold me!
Old 01-31-11, 08:04 AM
JL6speed
Driver

GS350 imo.
Old 01-31-11, 08:38 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Riceater
That's actually a really good point. My mom's IS350 has been in numerous times for recall work.. but Lexus always hooks her up with a new loaner. Last one was an 09 IS250 which was neat. Got to play with the bluetooth features a bit and was very impressed with what it could do.

To anyone with a GS300.. do you feel your car is "underpowered" or wish you had gone with the V8? Only reason I'd want a GS300 is for the AWD because our winters here occasionally call for it but I think I'd end up wanting more when it came to power.
GS 300 awd here. yes, it's too slow to be a serious contender in the mid-luxury class. That's why the GS 300 was an '06 model only and Lexus upped the V6 ante with the GS 350 for '07 and up. Mind you even a gs 300 awd is still faster than most other cars on the road, but sadly almost anything else from this class - M35, A6, G35 (sort of in this class, a little smaller), RL, E 350, will eat it's lunch acceleration.

I must submit this old performance stat sheet for the 2006 525xi, which only makes 215 hp and takes nearly 8 seconds to 60. How come no one ever rakes that stone over the coals? man, the automotive press just kicked the 06 GS 300 all over the court for being underpowered, but BMW as usual is the golden boy. And everyone knows the interiors were a pathetic joke in the last Gen 5 series. I think the new one has moved the game on considerably.
Old 01-31-11, 10:24 AM
Riceater
Driver

Originally Posted by gsexy300
GS 300 awd here. yes, it's too slow to be a serious contender in the mid-luxury class. That's why the GS 300 was an '06 model only and Lexus upped the V6 ante with the GS 350 for '07 and up. Mind you even a gs 300 awd is still faster than most other cars on the road, but sadly almost anything else from this class - M35, A6, G35 (sort of in this class, a little smaller), RL, E 350, will eat it's lunch acceleration.

I must submit this old performance stat sheet for the 2006 525xi, which only makes 215 hp and takes nearly 8 seconds to 60. How come no one ever rakes that stone over the coals? man, the automotive press just kicked the 06 GS 300 all over the court for being underpowered, but BMW as usual is the golden boy. And everyone knows the interiors were a pathetic joke in the last Gen 5 series. I think the new one has moved the game on considerably.
I've never been impressed with the 5series for what you pay. It's a pretty basic interior, very slow, nav screen seems kind of small when compared to competitors and ultimately, I hate just about any car that uses that damn *** for the Nav rather than just being a complete touchscreen. When you buy a BMW, unless it's an M-series, you're more than likely getting ripped off or just want to be able to say,"I have a BMW." M6, M3, and the newer 7-series are about the only BMWs I'd ever want to own.
Old 01-31-11, 10:30 AM
2006GS430L
Driver School Candidate

2006 GS430 4.3L V8 is impressive. This one belongs to my wife, but I've grown very fond of it. If you want something a bit quicker, look at the Infiniti M45 or step on up to the Cadillac CTS V. The Infiniti is a closer equal in terms of luxury. In terms of speed, the Corvette powered CTS V will smoke a M45 or GS430, but in terms of quality, it does not compare. The CTS V prior to 2009 was only available in a stick shift.

One dowside to the 2006 is the TFT Nav screen... it's lower resolution than those of later years.

Last edited by 2006GS430L; 01-31-11 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-31-11, 11:01 AM
Riceater
Driver

Originally Posted by 2006GS430L
2006 GS430 4.3L V8 is impressive. This one belongs to my wife, but I've grown very fond of it. If you want something a bit quicker, look at the Infiniti M45 or step on up to the Cadillac CTS V. The Infiniti is a closer equal in terms of luxury. In terms of speed, the Corvette powered CTS V will smoke a M45 or GS430, but in terms of quality, it does not compare. The CTS V prior to 2009 was only available in a stick shift.

One dowside to the 2006 is the TFT Nav screen... it's lower resolution than those of later years.
Well I guess first off, performance isn't a huge concern for me but I definitely don't want something that barely moves when I try to pass people. My C6 has basically the same kind of Nav as the Cadillacs and while it does the job when it comes to navigating, the overall features and styling of the Lexus navigation are far superior. I have a friend that had an M45 and it was a pretty decent all around luxury car; however, it just never really attracted me like the GS does. I suppose the interior just seemed kind of cheap in comparison to the Lexus. Which is the same with the Cadillac STS.. they are pretty cheap any more but the interior just seems very cheap and the seats are not all that comfortable, at least the one I was in.

I've looked at Mercedes as well.. but like the BMW, you pay more for the name than anything. I'd love to have a new C63 AMG Mercedes but just can't afford something like that right now and I'd love to have an 06 E55 AMG but for the price.. I'd rather save some money and just buy a Lexus GS which again seems to have the nicer interior.

Believe me, I've done some looking around and based on my research plus what has been said already, the 07 GS350 AWD with ML seems to be about the best bang for buck luxury car out there right now and for 20-25k.. that's almost impossible to beat. I guess I'll just have to make sure that all of the proper recall work has been done if I were to go and purchase one.
Old 01-31-11, 11:30 AM
Riceater
Driver

Basically, from all of the cars I've seen, the Lexus has the best all around package.

Very comfortable, spacious, affordable price, reliable, low maintenance costs, good gas mileage, easily usable and hackable navigation system (very nice graphics as well), AWD, and decent power.

Quick Reply: GS vs. IS!?