GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Just purchased a 07 GS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 12:53 PM
LexinTex71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a 07 GS350

First time on this forum, although I have been an active member in Saab, Mercedes, and Volvo forums in the past.

I really like this Lexus, but there are some issues with the car. The first and most annoying which I did not notice on the test drive are the drip moldings. Both passenger and driver side drip moldings (the color matched ones) are peeling. Seems they are just some cheap plastic moldings with a thin tape? that is painted to match the car. The painted tape is coming off on both sides...and i think they are what is making a howling sound at higher speeds (80mph) because the tape is vibrating. I priced these at 400 for each side????? Come on...

The second issue is that the inside seat belt pillar on both sides seems to be loose or not seated right. The passenger side is pretty bad. I tried to press it on to see if it was just unclipped, but it doesnt seem to have anything to clip on to....Since its both sides, Im wondering if it is just another quality issue.

The last thing, and not the fault of anyone but the previous owner is a large amount of small nicks on the hood. They are very small, and grouped together in small splotches. Looking closely, you can see the small nicks in the paint like small shotgun blasts...Looking at them from a distance, they look like bugs that have splattered on the hood. Is there any product that someone has used successfully in the past? I tried Mother's clay bar, and it helped a little, but I think I may need something that will smooth out or buff them out before I use some type of sealer. I am going to experiment a little and if I cant get them out, perhaps use a professional detailer. I used a professional detailer a few years ago for a Volvo I had with much worse scratches, pits and nicks, and I couldnt believe the magic he was able to work.

Thanks in advance for the help. Even though there are a few headaches early, I am impressed with the overall quality.
Old 01-18-11, 01:25 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, someone posted about the mouldings last year. They discovered the tape during a mod tho; I have never heard of anyone having a problem with them peeling on their own. Sounds like abuse from the previous owner. You're right, that could easily account for the howling noise at speed.

There is a TSIB on the trim covering the lower part of the pillars, but this is for problems some have had with scuffing. Check to see if you have the newer trim or the original. Maybe someone did a botch job installing the newer ones. Again though, never heard anyone mention an issue with these coming loose.

A rotary or DA buffer can work miracles on cosmetic paint issues. Read up in the detailing forum.

Welcome to CL. Don't forget the search feature ... there is a wealth of information already posted here.
Old 01-18-11, 01:57 PM
LexinTex71
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the info.

I think it might just be worth the 100-150 for a very thorough detailing job. Perhaps one of the best things to do would be to take this in to the Austin Lexus stealership and let them have a look and see. I am glad I forked over an extra 2400 for a 2 year / 24000 mile warranty that covers alot of things. Also, I have been doing some reading on this board and see that there have been some service bulletins that have me a little paranoid now. Perhaps its best if I take it in and have them look over the car. I wonder if they would cut me a deal on those drip moldings. I will see if I can post some pics...they really look cheaply made.
Old 01-18-11, 02:10 PM
LexinTex71
Driver School Candidate

Default Pic of drip molding

Here is what I am talking about. This is the worst spot, where the tape is actually missing now. But all the way to the back of car, the tape is no longer glued down on the rain gutter side any more. I am really not even sure how these are attached, so I am not sure if they will be easy to replace. I wish they were black underneath because I would just tear the tape off, but they are a hideous, dingy white.
Attached Thumbnails Just purchased a 07 GS350-lexusdripmold.jpg  
Old 01-18-11, 05:23 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that the moulding going from windshield over the roof to the back glass? If that is then its definatly been painted (car accident related most likely) and installed the wrong way. If I were you, I would of get them repainted and get some good silicone from a nearby auto parts store and glue it back on.
Old 01-18-11, 07:31 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Damn yeah I would def. get that repainted by them, you should have them do the B-pillar install, since your out of warranty (I'm guessing) you should ask for a grace install so you don't get charged. But you should check to see if there is water leaking in the car from the drip molding if your hearing wind noise!
Old 01-18-11, 07:58 PM
LexFather

Welcome to Clublexus!
Old 01-19-11, 07:45 AM
MiggzGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to CL... Enjoy!
Old 01-20-11, 03:57 PM
LexinTex71
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks fellow Lexus owners.

Thanks for the info....from my research over the past 24 hours, it seems that these moldings are not the greatest at keeping the paint on them, seems that they chose the cheap way to paint them instead of actually painting the molding itself, they put a thin tape on, then painted them. Some owners have stripped the paint off and polished them up since they are a silvery color. I think that might be a route to go...if it does not look too noticeable. I have a gray car, so it might be ok....

The sound I have figured out is the tape vibrating in the wind....i can see it vibrating when I hear the sound, and the pitch matches the speed of the vibrating tape...I will update with pics when I decide what I will do.

Thanks for the warm welcome!