GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 11:54 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

The reason for your squeaky brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-11, 05:28 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The reason for your squeaky brakes.

When i was at the dealer recently, the service rep said that the replacement low dust brakes squeak too.

then I thought, maybe it's not the brakes' fault, but user error.

If you don't bed the brakes properly, or use the brakes in such a way that it polishes the rotor....... you'll get squeals, right?
Old 01-09-11, 06:42 PM
erik535353
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is with a 50K luxury sedan you should be able to push the brakes anyway you want without problems. I changed the rotors(Brake World) and followed the break in Procedures(Bedded) and left the stock pads and still have squeels. I have it narrowed down to the pads or the caliper design. I will know once I change the pads I guess. Still sucks though.
Old 01-09-11, 07:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
When i was at the dealer recently, the service rep said that the replacement low dust brakes squeak too.

then I thought, maybe it's not the brakes' fault, but user error.

If you don't bed the brakes properly, or use the brakes in such a way that it polishes the rotor....... you'll get squeals, right?
i have been saying this for a long time but i know most people don't believe me. if the dealerships don't do it right when changing the pads and break it in with the rotors, or if owner don't break in the brakes correct when the car is new, it will squeak. my car had about 30k miles before i changed the brakes i think, never squeak on either set of pads
Old 01-09-11, 07:18 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I call BULLSHIET on all of the reply's, The reason for Squeaks is horrible toyota brake pads. I have Akebono brake pads, I emailed company asking what's they're suggested brake in procedure they answered "Put them on and drive". Not once did it squeak. The only other thing that would make them squeak is the Brake shims, but if brake shims are good then you're pads gotta go. There is nothing good about OEM pads, They DUSTY, make noise, priced higher then better pads ( Akebono's) Last half of what ceramic pads last.
Old 01-09-11, 08:11 PM
GangsterGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Akebono pads I have them on my 430 and love them. only squealing i get is when the car has been sitting for several hours, normally when the brakes are usually cold or cooled down. after initial use, then everything is fine.
Old 01-09-11, 08:16 PM
LexFather

My brakes only squeeked when thy needed replacing. The issue is they are very dusty up front which is a PITA if you want to keep your wheels clean.

Maybe more brake grease needs to be used. One time I changed the pads on my 2GS and din't use ample grease and they squeeked more. I added more grease and the problem went away.
Old 01-10-11, 12:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I call BULLSHIET on all of the reply's, The reason for Squeaks is horrible toyota brake pads. I have Akebono brake pads, I emailed company asking what's they're suggested brake in procedure they answered "Put them on and drive". Not once did it squeak. The only other thing that would make them squeak is the Brake shims, but if brake shims are good then you're pads gotta go. There is nothing good about OEM pads, They DUSTY, make noise, priced higher then better pads ( Akebono's) Last half of what ceramic pads last.
give me a set of Akebono and i guarantee i can make them to squeak so bad. put it in D and drive can be a start, but that's under a lot of assumptions like the rotor surface condition and such. if your rotor is not flat (which is very possible btw), you will be using less than the full surface area of the pads for braking, and that can be one way to squeak.

every bbk (ap racing, brembo, project u, endless, stoptech), they have very specific and detailed instructions on how to break in their setup (pads and rotors). otherwise, consequences could be less than ideal braking performance, warped rotors, or squeaky noise
Old 01-10-11, 12:36 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Ill be honest all the brake pads I have changed on all my cars, I never had a problem of squealing. I used a lot of different companies never as bad as lexus pads. Only squealing I did get we're on my rear pads but they had to be changed hence they were squealing.
Old 01-10-11, 01:01 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

He can throw all the excuses and reasons at customers, this still doesn't change the fact that Lexu have a serious problems with their brakes!

I have never needed to bed any BMW, Mercedes, Dodge, Hummer or Porsche brakes in my life! My friends have never experiened brake squeeking on their G35 Infinity's!

So basically what I'm trying to say is, when you have a competitor product on the market, and they are not having same problems as your product has... I would tell the service rep to ..... "cut the crap"!
Old 01-10-11, 07:52 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

try to sand your rotors down with a very light sand paper. throughly clean with brake cleaners afterwards, and if it's necessary, apply more anti squeal lube on the shims.. this solved my problem except when i'm in reverse (weird)..

i doubt it's just toyota pads since i had a horrible experience when i had a g35 coupe (one of the main reasons for trade in with only 18k miles). i had it serviced 3 times for brake pads alone, but never got it fixed. it was really embarrassing and frustrating when i was driving around the parking lot, so you know how i felt like when my brand new gs started squealing.

like some of you say, it could be poor brake pads, but at least try to clean your glazed rotors and see how it goes..
Old 01-10-11, 09:48 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

One more thing, when Lexus issues recalls on brakes, you know something's wrong! That's the jsutification right ther for you! No arguements!

I just had my rotors and pads replaced under warranty because of squeeling! Good enough for me to chuck my car at Lexus if this happens again... I'm not taking no BS from anyone who wants to tell me how I should or should not drive my car!
Old 01-10-11, 10:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by designo
One more thing, when Lexus issues recalls on brakes, you know something's wrong! That's the jsutification right ther for you! No arguements!

I just had my rotors and pads replaced under warranty because of squeeling! Good enough for me to chuck my car at Lexus if this happens again... I'm not taking no BS from anyone who wants to tell me how I should or should not drive my car!
they have a recall on brakes? or you mean tsib? they are pretty different

i am definitely not teaching you how to drive (no pun intended), but if you actually own a set of real brand name bbk and not do the break in process (which is a mere 10 mins job btw, and most consider as part of installation process anyway), you can be the one crying
Old 01-10-11, 10:36 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Rominl they way you are explaining why the squeal is there is understandble. Its works on 99.9% of cars EXPECT FAIL LEXUS GS AND LEXUS IS. Only thing is needed here replAcing brake pads with any different company. No more squeal, no more dust, twice the life span of oem pads ( if you go with ceramic compound).
Old 01-10-11, 10:59 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really, the root cause of all noise is vibration. The best thing to do to help stop vibration is proper installation using proper materials. Regardless of the brand of brake pads, they can all squeak if not installed properly, as Henry suggested.

What's used to help this? Anti-seize compound is very common and help absorb noise. The use of it between shims and on wherever the pads mount onto the hardware can reduce noise significantly.

But even then so, a glazed rotor will cause noise regardless of installation procedure. Drivers that constantly ride their brakes or brake at the last second all the time subject their rotors to glazing all the time. Glaze increases noise and reduces braking efficiency, plain and simple. Typically the only (good) way of removing glaze is by turning them on a lathe.

I don't buy the whole "only way to stop this is go to aftermarket" stuff. I'm on factory pads and they're dead quiet. Blame the installer first, then the driver.
Old 01-10-11, 11:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Rominl they way you are explaining why the squeal is there is understandble. Its works on 99.9% of cars EXPECT FAIL LEXUS GS AND LEXUS IS. Only thing is needed here replAcing brake pads with any different company. No more squeal, no more dust, twice the life span of oem pads ( if you go with ceramic compound).
oh i am absolutely not siding with lexus at all, if that's what some of you think. i am just saying looking into the exact cause is the key. different pads can make difference, but my point is that's not always the solution, and bare possible other consequences too (not trying to say there is any).

stuff like if you hear clunking sound when you change from R to D, squeaking, dust, etc... it can be a lot of things, especially when there are people with the problems and some without. in that case it's important to narrow down the problem instead of just blindly blaming on something, coz' that doesn't explain the group of people who don't experience any problems.

reading other forums (for example my m3), i see people complaining about their brakes too. but again it's not a problem everyone experience. some ended up with uneven wear on rotors / pads causing the noise, and some for other reasons. i am sure if you put soft pads, it's possible fix to the problem. but on the other hand, if pads are wearing evenly with rotors, maybe the problem won't even appear

Quick Reply: The reason for your squeaky brakes.