GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

200,000 miles and climbing every month.... Service performed, cost and issues......

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-15, 10:42 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by JHopkins
I recently bough an 06 GS430 from a Lexus service manager. From what I can see it has been well cared for and serviced regularly. It currently has 288xxx miles and I would like to squeeze as many more out of it as I can. I only use it to commune a few miles a day to work. What service recommendations do you have for a car with this mileage?
That means you're in Lubbock, TX, no?
Old 12-03-15, 11:20 AM
JHopkins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
That means you're in Lubbock, TX, no?
I am in Texas but not in Lubbock.
Old 12-04-15, 07:41 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I am in Texas but not in Lubbock.
Gotcha. That car used to be owned by an Alderson Lexus employee in Lubbock, TX.
Old 12-06-15, 08:25 PM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW!!!! ...... mmade22 you are one special dude to post that many of your thoughts, photos, recommendations, opinions, expertise, knowledge, etc. I would have to say this is the MOST informative thread I've ever read in ANY forum anywhere. Unbelievable, man. Thanks again!

I recently purchased a 2010 GS350 AWD with 99k miles and I really dig it (I love Lexus). I bought it from a local AUDI/VW dealer and I have a 3 month/3000 mile Limited Warranty that apparently covers: Engine, Tranny and Drive Train .

There is also a 30 day warranty that I think (?) is for me to just check out the car and see whats not working(?).

From reading this thread, I am thinking of taking the car to the local Lexus dealer (where serviced by one and only previous owner) and have the Lexus dealer "go through" the whole car....and then take this info back to the VW/AUDI dealer that I bought it from and see if any of these found problems can be repaired.

Any thoughts or recommendations from mmade22 or anyone else regarding these thoughts?
Old 12-10-15, 06:34 PM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

YIKES!! Sorry if I hijacked the thread. Didn't mean to.
Old 12-10-15, 06:56 PM
gveng
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update please!!
Old 12-14-15, 09:38 AM
SDcruiser
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for this. Im posting for updates on a subscription to this thread. Im looking to buy a GS350 with over 100K miles. This post will prove useful to many.
Old 03-31-16, 09:15 AM
Rocknrose
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission drain and fill

Wow, Can I print this and show my mechanic?
Old 05-07-16, 07:24 AM
LexusBC
Rookie

I bet by now he has 350k. He hasn't posted in a while.
Old 05-07-16, 08:11 AM
Dean2
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Great thread. I read about your headlight issue and all the things you tried to fix it. I never did spot the post that had the actual fix. My thought was you had a defective replacement bulb but I would be interested to hear what you actually ended up doing to fix it.

Thanks for all the great info. I too do all my own maintenance but it never occurred to me to take all the time a dedication it takes you to post the quality info and great pictures of the work you are doing.
Old 08-24-16, 04:54 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Mmade22, as for the LS460, I'm averaging around 27 mpg with it. I do 70% highway, 30% back roads (not much city driving). The 8 speed transmission does wonders for the fuel economy, but it does take super for gas.

I personally own a rwd model and it's been surprisingly good in the snow as long as I have snow tires on it. The traction control system is the best I've ever experienced, it's amazing how it keeps you going straight in terrible conditions. The car overall is very comfortable, it's fantastic on the highway, very very good power and acceleration, handles and steers fantastic for a big car (it handles like its a much smaller vehicle). The brakes are outstanding too.

Parts for the car are expensive and the cars are known to have control arm issues, but aftermarket parts are available. Like any high end luxury car, there are lots of gadgets that could break, but Lexus builds a quality car (as you know) and I haven't had any problems with mine. It's a nice car, but then again so is the GS.

One thing I'm surprised about is that you changed the oil every 5k miles...why not go with an extended life oil like Amsoil or something? You must be changing it every month at your pace.
Thank you so much for this information. I'm aware of the cost of maintenance on this model and I'm looking forward to the day I can get behind the wheel of one. The GS is still alive and well with no end in sight so I'll be driving this for a while longer.

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
This thread genuinely makes me happy. Absolutely amazing man.
I'm glad I can make you happy with my log. I am a very happy Lexus owner!

I recently bough an 06 GS430 from a Lexus service manager. From what I can see it has been well cared for and serviced regularly. It currently has 288xxx miles and I would like to squeeze as many more out of it as I can. I only use it to commune a few miles a day to work. What service recommendations do you have for a car with this mileage?
I am not a technician for Lexus but I would say everything I have done plus your timing belt. The 3.5 liter has a timing chain so it's less maintenance.

Originally Posted by Jontay
WOW!!!! ...... mmade22 you are one special dude to post that many of your thoughts, photos, recommendations, opinions, expertise, knowledge, etc. I would have to say this is the MOST informative thread I've ever read in ANY forum anywhere. Unbelievable, man. Thanks again!

I recently purchased a 2010 GS350 AWD with 99k miles and I really dig it (I love Lexus). I bought it from a local AUDI/VW dealer and I have a 3 month/3000 mile Limited Warranty that apparently covers: Engine, Tranny and Drive Train .

There is also a 30 day warranty that I think (?) is for me to just check out the car and see whats not working(?).

From reading this thread, I am thinking of taking the car to the local Lexus dealer (where serviced by one and only previous owner) and have the Lexus dealer "go through" the whole car....and then take this info back to the VW/AUDI dealer that I bought it from and see if any of these found problems can be repaired.

Any thoughts or recommendations from mmade22 or anyone else regarding these thoughts?
Thank you for the kind words. I would just follow what Lexus states to do in the book and you'll get many reliable miles out of your car.

Originally Posted by SDcruiser
Thanks for this. Im posting for updates on a subscription to this thread. Im looking to buy a GS350 with over 100K miles. This post will prove useful to many.
I am guilty of not getting on here in the recent past due to work and life! It's been a great and yet crazy last few years with my carreer. The car has served me well making sure it gets me to and from all states and customers in one piece!

Originally Posted by LexusBC
I bet by now he has 350k. He hasn't posted in a while.
I haven't posted in a while. Guilty as charged. You are close to the number but I'm a little lower than that. I don't have time to really write up a full update tonight as I'm home. I will have a major update for all by next week. It's all good!!!!

Originally Posted by Dean2
Great thread. I read about your headlight issue and all the things you tried to fix it. I never did spot the post that had the actual fix. My thought was you had a defective replacement bulb but I would be interested to hear what you actually ended up doing to fix it.

Thanks for all the great info. I too do all my own maintenance but it never occurred to me to take all the time a dedication it takes you to post the quality info and great pictures of the work you are doing.
It turned out being the crappy aftermarket bulbs I was using. Once I put the OEM 4300k bulbs in, all was back to normal. Stay with what works! I still have the ORIGINAL WORKING DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS IN THE CAR FROM 2007! That is amazing in itself!

Old 08-24-16, 04:57 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

I'll update you guys on all that has happened with the car since the last update next week. As of today, I have over 300,000 miles. I won't say how many but I'll fill you in soon. Stay tooned!!

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/jmah...drhwn.mp4.html

Last edited by mmade22; 08-24-16 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-24-16, 05:59 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

How she sits today. Still a VERY CLEAN RIDE.....

Name:  97ABDBAD-110C-4B9D-B0CB-2FE130314A70_zpsh48yczbf.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  149.5 KB

Name:  5CAC00A2-ED49-4D1B-9755-071B2E4427DE_zpsnz2exhpk.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  166.0 KB

A nice weekend trip out to PA. Great place to visit in the SUMMER ONLY!

Name:  BA072D9E-D599-4EC6-B333-D2B1B2C3BE56_zps2diejflj.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  181.1 KB

Last edited by mmade22; 08-24-16 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-24-16, 07:31 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow that is clean!
Old 08-25-16, 12:42 AM
tayslexus
Driver

You're an example of why people should buy a Lexus and USE IT. I bet your engine is now clean of all the carbon that can be build up by city drives. Wish you another happy 300k miles.

Quick Reply: 200,000 miles and climbing every month.... Service performed, cost and issues......