GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Top Gear on BBC rates our 3rd gen GS as ugly

Old 12-09-10, 12:21 PM
LexFather

I prefer the 2GS looks to the 3GS. 2GS is more masculine, I love the distinctive rear lights and the rear fender creases over the wheel wheels.

The 3GS is classier and more relaxed looking and to me the 3GS aged better than the 2GS after 5 years.
Old 12-09-10, 12:35 PM
skim07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't get butt hurt because you own a car that they dislike. there's some truth to what TG said about 3GS.

why does it make you go nuts? that's their job...to review and comment on what they find.
Old 12-09-10, 12:44 PM
alwayzspeedin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
When I want a fantastic "commuter" car to use in Houston traffic for the day-to-day, I love my GS.

When I want to go out and rock and roll, I take my Corvette Z06 out.

The press rags on both cars, but let's see if they can catch
me in my Z06
I could car less about what they say. I've owned 57 cars over the past 38 years, and I know a hell of a lot about cars. What's important to me is just that - important to me.

When I go out i drive my 1999 civic with 3GS conversion so I can be cool, and one day when I get promoted at burger king to manager I'll be able to convert my lx motor in to a ls1 motor so I can be cool like u guys
Old 12-09-10, 02:19 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not willing to concede that it's a foregone conclusion that the GS is ugly. I think it looks great inside and out. I get a lot of compliments on both of mine all the time. Most of the people who really have anything negative to say are those with the mindset that the only good cars come out of Germany, UK, or Italy. I don't really listen to those people.

I like the 3GS. Call me crazy.
Old 12-09-10, 02:45 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gsexy300
The press ragged on the Z06? I thought it got decent reviews.
Decent yes, great no. They love to rag on it for what they consider to be horrible seats and difficult handling at the limit. Road and Tracks current issue has a four car comparison that is actually pretty good though.
Old 12-09-10, 02:49 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
I'm not willing to concede that it's a foregone conclusion that the GS is ugly. I think it looks great inside and out. I get a lot of compliments on both of mine all the time. Most of the people who really have anything negative to say are those with the mindset that the only good cars come out of Germany, UK, or Italy. I don't really listen to those people.

I like the 3GS. Call me crazy.
I agree - I can't imagine anyone calling it ugly. If they want to say it's plain looking I could at least say I get it. But Ugly! No way. I consider it an understated elegance for people who don't need some gaudy styling that says LOOK AT ME!!!!. It's a car for people who are secure and drive what they like, not what they want to be seen in.
Old 12-09-10, 03:06 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alwayzspeedin
When I go out i drive my 1999 civic with 3GS conversion so I can be cool, and one day when I get promoted at burger king to manager I'll be able to convert my lx motor in to a ls1 motor so I can be cool like u guys
Can I get a whopper and large fries next time I'm in Menlo Park burger King lol.
Old 12-09-10, 05:32 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is overpriced, but in no way is it a Toyota.

I am also sick of people calling Every Lexus "An overpriced Toyota". It is flat out not true, unless you're talking about the ES. (although the case can be made that all the SUV/Crossovers are really Toyotas in drag, given that the RX is just a tall ES)

Anyway, when doubters call my GS "a very nice Avalon I point out the Avalon is front wheel drive, the GS is RWD/AWD. They don't know anything about cars, so it is lost on them. Whatever. There is NO Toyota platform analog to the GS. It is a bespoke Lexus platform.
The LFA is an overpriced Toyota.
The truth is the truth. Can't deny it......but we love it anyway. I would certainly buy one if I could.

I like it that people slam on the 3GS. There would probably be a lot more of them out there is every loved it.
I like beign in a car where there is such a profound love/hate reaction. It immediately causes a reaction. That's a good thing imo.
Old 12-09-10, 06:07 PM
alwayzspeedin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by swtjlsy
Can I get a whopper and large fries next time I'm in Menlo Park burger King lol.
i'm at san amteo next to peter pan BMW...come in and ask for the clublexus hook up
Old 12-09-10, 06:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

in terms of look, i would pick 2gs over 3gs any day. but 2gs is definitely dated
Old 12-09-10, 07:42 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

who cares.....if you think this is ugly then you need new glasses

Old 12-10-10, 07:40 AM
skim07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chancellor
who cares.....if you think this is ugly then you need new glasses

I'm sure they would have had a different opinion if your car was on the show, but stock GS is aesthetically boring unless you slap on a body kit, wheels, and a drop. Your car looks seriously nice.
Old 12-10-10, 08:00 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

I won't bash, but I will say I personally would NEVER have purchased the 2GS, due to it's styling. Really awkward, I can't imagine anyone thinking that's a better looking design.
When i wash my 3GS I get unsolicited 'nice looking car!' kudos from total strangers.
really? the body lines on the 2nd gen were classic....

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
i can agree with the headlights. they are the most appealing especially with that chrome trim but i prefer the 3rd gen tail lights over the 2nd gen.
i dunno i think the taillighs on the 2nd gen are on of my fav things....you ALWAYS know your coming up on a gs due to the familiar tails

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I prefer the 2GS looks to the 3GS. 2GS is more masculine, I love the distinctive rear lights and the rear fender creases over the wheel wheels.

The 3GS is classier and more relaxed looking and to me the 3GS aged better than the 2GS after 5 years.
Originally Posted by rominl
in terms of look, i would pick 2gs over 3gs any day. but 2gs is definitely dated

Originally Posted by Chancellor
your car does look nice BUT your pic reminded me that the 3rd gen gs has that silly looking chrome plate on the outside also
Old 12-10-10, 08:21 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
3rd gen gs has that silly looking chrome plate on the outside also
I love the silly looking plate, add's so much to the design.
Old 12-10-10, 11:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

putting up a modded 3gs, that's like taking things out of scope isn't it? i personally think a modded 3gs can look nice, but stock one, it looks pretty boring, that stays true to me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top Gear on BBC rates our 3rd gen GS as ugly