GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Squeal at Shut Off

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 12:27 PM
LexusVRGN
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeal at Shut Off

If anyone has any ideas on this it would really help me and my service center out quite a bit. When I shut the car down after it's been driven 2 miles or so or after it's warmed up it makes loud whining squeal as it shuts down. It's almost like a tea kettle whistle.

Also, the engine seems to make a great deal of squeaking and rattling during while idling. It's a little embarrassing to drive this car and have those noises coming out of it.

The car drives great, it does not seem to have any power loss or performance issues but the noise is painful and Lexus of Dayton is having trouble diagnosing.
Old 11-22-10, 12:42 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Could be the drive belt is worn out and slipping and/or the belt tensioner is going south?

Got me with the tea kettle noise.
Old 11-22-10, 01:34 PM
LexusVRGN
Rookie

Yeah, I'm going to have them check those things, I'm < 30,000 miles so I hope it's nothing crazy.
Old 11-22-10, 02:31 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id guess a glazed belt or a tensioner bearing going bad.
Old 11-22-10, 03:53 PM
LexusVRGN
Rookie

thanks for the input... I'm going to give them all the ideas I can...keep em coming
Old 11-22-10, 04:29 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Flux Capacitor.
Old 11-23-10, 06:21 AM
LexusVRGN
Rookie

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Flux Capacitor.
Funny Guy!
Old 11-23-10, 07:15 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

But really, yeah, squealing usually is something to do with the drive belt. How many miles are on your car? I'm not sure how long they typically last on the 3GS... but I actually just ordered a new drive belt for my car while padding a Sewell order because I know I'll need one eventually. They sold it for approximately $30 which seems like a pretty fair price for an OEM drive belt (I won't take my chances with aftermarket ones considering I know the OEM ones work just fine).
Old 11-23-10, 10:18 AM
LexusVRGN
Rookie

I know that they ordered and replaced a converter assembly and some exhaust gaskets according to the work order. They thought they had it fixed but apparently not. I'm taking it back 12/2 and keeping it there until they figure it out. It may drive me insane if I don't get it fixed soon.
Old 11-23-10, 10:21 AM
LexusVRGN
Rookie

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
But really, yeah, squealing usually is something to do with the drive belt. How many miles are on your car? I'm not sure how long they typically last on the 3GS... but I actually just ordered a new drive belt for my car while padding a Sewell order because I know I'll need one eventually. They sold it for approximately $30 which seems like a pretty fair price for an OEM drive belt (I won't take my chances with aftermarket ones considering I know the OEM ones work just fine).
Thanks Jay, It has < 30,000 miles on it. I will recommend the drive belt to the service department.
Old 01-26-11, 04:22 PM
mcamson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusVRGN
Thanks Jay, It has < 30,000 miles on it. I will recommend the drive belt to the service department.
What did they say?

I had the same sound coming from my engine bay immediately after shutoff and during idling. I took it to the dealership and they said it was the drive belt tensioner. They told me replacing just the belt would not fix the problem. I'm curious what they told you and how much did they quote you?
Old 01-26-11, 04:46 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mcamson
What did they say?

I had the same sound coming from my engine bay immediately after shutoff and during idling. I took it to the dealership and they said it was the drive belt tensioner. They told me replacing just the belt would not fix the problem. I'm curious what they told you and how much did they quote you?
Belt tensions are surprisingly expensive considering that they just consist of a pulley and a spring. I'm going to guess in the neighborhood of $300 for replacement. I had a bad one that would squeak at idle until the car was good and warmed up on my old Matrix. I never bothered to fix it because Toyota told me it was going to be hundreds of dollars.
Old 01-26-11, 04:51 PM
mcamson
Pole Position

part on the gs costs somewhere around 250-300, but the dealership was trying to charge me for 7 hours labor!!!! It would have been around $1300. WTF
Old 01-26-11, 05:15 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mcamson
part on the gs costs somewhere around 250-300, but the dealership was trying to charge me for 7 hours labor!!!! It would have been around $1300. WTF
7 hours of labor to replace the belt tensioner? Are you sure? Did you ask for an explanation why it would take so long?

I wouldn't think it would take any more time to do than replacing say, an alternator. Take the belt off, take tensioner off, put tensioner on, replace belt.

Go to Toyota and ask them.
Old 01-27-11, 04:22 PM
mcamson
Pole Position

They said it was because they had to remove the AC compressor system in order to access the drive belt tensioner and they would have to recharge it with freon afterwards.

Quick Reply: Squeal at Shut Off