GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Bizarre problem -- blown fuse messes up Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 11:41 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizarre problem -- blown fuse messes up Navigation

I just successfully diagnosed and fixed a bizarre problems, so I figure I'll post the story in case someone experiences this in the future.

A couple of weeks ago my navigation system started malfunctioning. I have had the wire-cutting hack performed on the car to allow me to override the navigation lock-out with a switch. The switch is installed on the underside of the steering column.

The problem was that the the navigation system was behaving in a manner consistent with the switch being in the "Off" position. I could create a route, get the initial voice prompt -- "The guidance will start once you reach the highlighted route" -- and the car icon was moving along the roads, but the navigation instructions never started, and the system would never re-route if you get off track.

I also could no longer enter the destination while driving, which was a bit inconsistent with the switch malfunction where it is stuck in the "off" condition. However, people who have had the wire hack done know that the ability to enter destination goes away after about 10-15 seconds, and you have to flip the switch again. So this wasn't too inconsistent.

Anyway, I thought the switch was malfunctioning, or one of the contacts on the wires leading to the switch was bad. So I disassembled the steering wheel cover (very easy -- it's held by 3 screws), and started playing with the wires going to the switch. I tried to connect them directly, then disconnect them, etc. No dice!

Finally I remembered that around the same time that the navigation started behaving strangely I have blown a fuse on the cigarette lighted socket below the dash. I did it by connecting a tire inflation machine. So I found the blown fuse and replaced it. Voila! The navigation problem went away.

To me this is extremely strange, because theoretically the cigarette socket fuse should have NOTHING to do with the navigation system. Alas, it does. I don't know if that's the case for all the cars, or if it is a side effect of the navigation override hack, but I thought people should be aware of this strange connection.
Old 11-16-10, 01:44 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like bad engineering.