GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS300 ATF Fluid type and service?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 03:37 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 GS300 ATF Fluid type and service?

Hi guys,

Im trying to do a drain and fill ATF service but 3 things wondering before i attempt the job;

1)Where the heck is the filler/dipstick spout and
2)What type of Automatic fluid does this 6 speed auto take on the 06' GS300?
3)Lastly, how much drains out from just a drain and fill job?

I googled around and found mixed answers, im hoping its the same as my 4runner which is a Type T-IV and not some outrageously expensive stuff.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-10, 04:14 PM
LexFather

The 06+ and newer Lexus have a sealed Tranny with not much need to change the fluid. Its not like past Lexus.

I run Amsoil on other Lexus with tranny coolers but with the 450h things are holding and feeling very well though I don't run it as hard as the modded 430.

I would stick to the Lexus/Toyota tranny fluid, its a new evolution of it and very good since tranny failures are EXTREMELY RARE.

Why do you want to change it? How many miles do you have?-
Old 11-15-10, 06:28 PM
username32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The 06+ and newer Lexus have a sealed Tranny with not much need to change the fluid. Its not like past Lexus.

I run Amsoil on other Lexus with tranny coolers but with the 450h things are holding and feeling very well though I don't run it as hard as the modded 430.

I would stick to the Lexus/Toyota tranny fluid, its a new evolution of it and very good since tranny failures are EXTREMELY RARE.

Why do you want to change it? How many miles do you have?-
Well for one, i don't believe any fluid last a lifetime, the car has 49K miles and shifts not soo smooth, i was hoping a fluid change would work out some kinks. I am going to stick to Toyota/Lexus fluid but im not sure which type it uses. I see there is a drain plug on the trans but no filler? Im just a **** owner that likes to take care of his stuff, i hate not knowing when things were done.
Old 11-15-10, 06:31 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Posted this before, but the "lifetime" fluid has a regular scheduled change interval of 96,000 km (60,000 miles) in the Canadian market (for the exact same vehicle). You can read into that as much or as little as you want.

They can't really get much of it out with a drain and fill, maybe 20%? I think they just drain what they can, and then pump back in whatever amount came out with fresh fluid? In any case, the service is required in order to keep the warranty intact here.
Old 11-15-10, 06:46 PM
username32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Posted this before, but the "lifetime" fluid has a regular scheduled change interval of 96,000 km (60,000 miles) in the Canadian market (for the exact same vehicle). You can read into that as much or as little as you want.

They can't really get much of it out with a drain and fill, maybe 20%? I think they just drain what they can, and then pump back in whatever amount came out with fresh fluid? In any case, the service is required in order to keep the warranty intact here.
Well since its nearly impossible to drain every bit out, my objective is to keep it fresh as possible, like on my V8 4runner i do a routine drain and fill with fresh ATF every other oil change. The transmission shifts and works like a dream (sadly shifts nicer then my GS).
Old 11-15-10, 06:50 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GS3 uses the W.S. tranny fluid (ws= world standard; aka: long life).
Lexus/Toyota can change it for you either as a drain/fill, or full flush.
i did a drain n fill on mine around 40k miles.

see post #4.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nsmission.html
Old 11-15-10, 10:22 PM
username32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spine911
GS3 uses the W.S. tranny fluid (ws= world standard; aka: long life).
Lexus/Toyota can change it for you either as a drain/fill, or full flush.
i did a drain n fill on mine around 40k miles.

see post #4.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nsmission.html
Exactly what i needed to know, thanks!!
Old 11-16-10, 09:04 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by username32
Well for one, i don't believe any fluid last a lifetime, the car has 49K miles and shifts not soo smooth, i was hoping a fluid change would work out some kinks. I am going to stick to Toyota/Lexus fluid but im not sure which type it uses. I see there is a drain plug on the trans but no filler? Im just a **** owner that likes to take care of his stuff, i hate not knowing when things were done.
there's a huge debate about lexus sealed transmission ever needing service. i'm with you on this that no oil can last forever. lexus states "last the life time of your vehicle." well if the transmission fails at 120k miles, that's the life of your vehicle. my friend with an IS requested to have the tranny oil changed out at a local dealership, and they changeds it out no problem.
Old 11-16-10, 09:51 AM
username32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by onihc
there's a huge debate about lexus sealed transmission ever needing service. i'm with you on this that no oil can last forever. lexus states "last the life time of your vehicle." well if the transmission fails at 120k miles, that's the life of your vehicle. my friend with an IS requested to have the tranny oil changed out at a local dealership, and they changeds it out no problem.
lol, you have HID trunk lights? that has to be insanely bright in there lol!
Old 11-16-10, 10:23 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

you can check it out if you want. socal 626
Old 11-16-10, 11:58 AM
username32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by onihc
you can check it out if you want. socal 626

Does any of the club Lexus socal 626 guys still meet at the Starbucks/pavilion parking lot in arcadia on Fridays?
Old 11-16-10, 12:11 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Does any of the club Lexus socal 626 guys still meet at the Starbucks/pavilion parking lot in arcadia on Fridays?
there's usually a friday night meet at a tea station either in rowland or alhambra.
Old 11-16-10, 06:49 PM
username32
Pole Position

OK i dropped off my GS at Longo, they are going to do a drain and fill, damn job cost $150 for just a drain and fill dayum! If i only knew where the hell i fill the fluid i would of done it myself as WS fluid is cheap at Sewell.
Old 11-16-10, 10:14 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OK i dropped off my GS at Longo, they are going to do a drain and fill, damn job cost $150 for just a drain and fill dayum! If i only knew where the hell i fill the fluid i would of done it myself as WS fluid is cheap at Sewell.
Yeesh. When I had it done, the Toyota dealership (which happens to be the most convenient dealership by far for me) charged me around $60, it might have even been less.
Old 11-16-10, 11:08 PM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default How to change WS fluid

This is what I found from Toyota tech.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
transmission fluid.pdf (81.6 KB, 6176 views)

Quick Reply: 2006 GS300 ATF Fluid type and service?