GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Got Locked Out of GS350

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-10, 05:51 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got Locked Out of GS350

I took my daughter to the tire store yesterday to pick up her 07 GS350. To make a long story short, she put her purse (fob in purse) on front seat and closed the door. At the same time, I was closing her trunk after storing her wheel lock key. Next thing we know is that she's locked out of her car. All four doors were locked, the trunk was locked, and her purse was on the front seat with the key fob in plain sight. Needless to say, I drove her back to her house in my car to get the other fob to open the door.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Note: the battery was just changed about 2 month ago and we were unable to duplicate the lockout.

Weird...
Old 10-16-10, 06:27 PM
alwayzspeedin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i thought the car will not lock with the key in the car...i might be wrong..
Old 10-16-10, 07:37 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the car on at the time? Back when I had my IS350 I tried to lock it with one of the fobs in the car and it didn't like that, beep at me several times. I haven't tried it with the GS but I'd think it was the same.
Old 10-16-10, 09:07 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jherb350
Was the car on at the time? Back when I had my IS350 I tried to lock it with one of the fobs in the car and it didn't like that, beep at me several times. I haven't tried it with the GS but I'd think it was the same.
That's what I thought too...can't lock yourself out but it did. Car was off at the time ... must have been an electronic glitch Either way, lucky I was there with my car to go back and get the spare fob.

It also made me think had my 18 month old grandson been with us, he could have been locked in the car on a 90+ degree day ... not good.

She said from now on, she's not goning to close the door unless she's in the car.
Old 10-16-10, 11:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if the car is running and door open, i don't think you can lock it. but if the car is shut off i believe you can manually flip the lock switch to lock the door, and once you slam it, it doesn't matter what's inside the car
Old 10-16-10, 11:57 PM
KingTX1981
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if the car is running and door open, i don't think you can lock it. but if the car is shut off i believe you can manually flip the lock switch to lock the door, and once you slam it, it doesn't matter what's inside the car
But if the key was inside, couldn't you just press the button on the door handle to unlock the car?
Old 10-17-10, 12:03 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

^ idont think so... i think u have to have ur key outside the door.. but i thought car doesnt lock when the keys inside...
Old 10-17-10, 03:55 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Any car can be locked out. Just have to stop locking the door manually then closing it.
Old 10-17-10, 09:58 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always thought locking the car with the fob inside wasn't possible.

So ... I thought I'd test. With fob on the seat and spare fob safely about 10 feet away:

With driver door open, I physically flip the door locks on all four doors to locked position. I closed the door. Within 2 seconds, all of the doors automatically unlocked.

With driver door open, I pressed the door lock button on the inside door panel. All doors lock. I closed the door. Within 2 seconds, all of the doors automatically unlocked.

With door closed and doors unlocked, I pressed remote lock button on spare fob. Doors lock. Walk up to car, without spare fob, and doors remain locked (remember, other fob is in car).

Didn't try any variations with the trunk.
Old 10-17-10, 10:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by KingTX1981
But if the key was inside, couldn't you just press the button on the door handle to unlock the car?
nop, once locked, the detection of key is done on the outside of the car around the doors. it's described in the manual.
Old 10-17-10, 10:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CAK 500
I always thought locking the car with the fob inside wasn't possible.

So ... I thought I'd test. With fob on the seat and spare fob safely about 10 feet away:

With driver door open, I physically flip the door locks on all four doors to locked position. I closed the door. Within 2 seconds, all of the doors automatically unlocked.

With driver door open, I pressed the door lock button on the inside door panel. All doors lock. I closed the door. Within 2 seconds, all of the doors automatically unlocked.

With door closed and doors unlocked, I pressed remote lock button on spare fob. Doors lock. Walk up to car, without spare fob, and doors remain locked (remember, other fob is in car).

Didn't try any variations with the trunk.
interesting test. i wonder if driver door is always closed and say you just deal with one passenger side door, what would happen.
Old 10-17-10, 01:39 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
She said from now on, she's not goning to close the door unless she's in the car.
Or how about always take her purse with her which I assume she has everything in there.

I find winter is the best time cause i put all my stuff in my jacket (key/wallet/cell) and I won't likely to forget my jacket cause the cold will hit me instantly.
Old 10-17-10, 02:29 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
interesting test. i wonder if driver door is always closed and say you just deal with one passenger side door, what would happen.
Actually, I should have mentioned that it was the passenger side door that she originally opened and then put her purse inside. Not sure if weight of purse would have anything to do with the car thinking someone was inside ... she has a big purse and it weighed about 10 lbs...don't ask ... girls carry lots of stuff

We are going to try later today or tomorrow to replicate the exact conditions to see if purse with about 10 lbs weight on a passenger seat has anything to do with this. When we tried right after the original incident, we did not use her purse...just tossed the fob inside the car and the car did not lock us out.
Old 10-17-10, 05:25 PM
atcvader
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I press the button on the door handle to lock the car it always does this long beep(telling me keys are still inside)
Old 10-17-10, 07:35 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know the exact weight of a 1 gal milk but I know that's the tipping point for the seat sensor. When I put the 1 gal milk there sometime it register as a sitter and sometime not... I know that cause the seat belt popped up now and than when sitting at the red light.

Quick Reply: Got Locked Out of GS350