GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 10:29 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...-to-stall.html

Link above says it all. Faulty engines that may stall in the following cars sold worldwide: Lexus GS 350, GS 450h, GS 460, IS 350, LS 460, LS 600h, LS 600hL, and the Toyota Crown.
Old 06-30-10, 10:37 PM
ekc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read about it. Toyota has taken a reputation beating the past 2 years. Wonder what they're gonna do with our cars.
Old 06-30-10, 10:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

According to this BusinessWeek link, it is for a defective valve spring. This sounds familiar to longtime LS forum members, we've had 2 threads on LS owners dealing with it:

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
According to them, there is a set of robots that assemble these engines. In late 2007/early 2008, one of the robots was found to be out of adjustment, such that when it installed the spring, it scraped it and caused a "score" mark on it. That small score mark created a weak point that can cause a failure of the spring after thousands of cycles.

By the time they discovered the adjustment problem, a large number of engines had been assembled and put into cars, which had been shipped out over the world. It was not known if it would be a problem or not, nor when it might result in a failure, so Lexus had to deal with it when/if a spring failed. IOW, on a case-by-case basis. It wasn't practical to recall a ton of engines just because a spring "might" someday fail.
There are 2 threads in the LS forum where owners were driving, the Check Engine light came on, they pulled over and the engine stopped; both were found to have defective valve springs, which is what I extrapolate the recall is about. A 'weaker' valve spring which may eventually fail over time. Originally, as some members have experienced, they were going to replace it on a case-by-case basis, but now seems they will replace all of them just to be sure. Update-recall confirmed:

Lexus To Replace Valve Springs In Premium Vehicle Models
http://www.voxy.co.nz/national/lexus...models/5/53823
Thursday, 1 July, 2010 - 17:36
Lexus New Zealand is to assure trouble-free motoring for 185 owners of its premium V8 and GS450 hybrid vehicles by replacing their engine valve springs.

Routine long-term reliability tests in Japan have discovered a manufacturing flaw in some springs, which could cause abnormal engine noise or unstable idling.

Debbie Pattullo, National Manager for Lexus New Zealand, says the springs will be replaced over the next few months, purely to remove the possibility of future problems.
This further supports the earlier inference that the defective factory robot is to blame for this recall.

Last edited by encore888; 06-30-10 at 11:42 PM. Reason: add confirmation of valve spring replacement
Old 07-01-10, 03:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW!!! Now its all of their higher end models. Does this Toyota cloud ever clear. They look horrible and they will look worse if they don't do anything for the owners of these high end models
Old 07-01-10, 03:21 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

OMFG Its goes on and on like a fruit rollup, this is insane....................
Old 07-01-10, 07:06 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Has anyone seen what model years are affected?
Old 07-01-10, 07:08 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What about 06? They need springs, too, don't they.

I know I have the symptoms of it feeling like it's going to choke out once in a while. Actually I'm waiting on my dealership to hear back from Lexus Technical Assistance about it right now. They need to just crack every car open that has been experiencing problems and just get them all fixed ASAP to maintain their reputation. At the end of the day, people really do understand that sometimes crap happens but what will scare us away from buying future toyota/lexus products would be if crap happens and they no longer stand behind their product 100%.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 07-01-10 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-01-10, 07:53 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

man Toyota cant catch the break lately,,long as dealers take care the problems im ok with it,,,but wow its surprise this keep happening,,,,
Old 07-01-10, 08:35 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess this would explain why my idle is really rough at stops, and why my idle RPM will drop down below 500. Of course, my Lexus dealer said they couldn't find a problem. They also said that my knock and rattle on start up was normal for my engine (or is this a known PROBLEM with my engine?), and that it was JUST piston slap while the oil pressure was building (no big deal right? – ha!).

07 GS350
Old 07-01-10, 08:43 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Although these recalls are going to hurt the resale of our cars in the short term, I am VERY happy that Lexus and Toyota are taking proactive measures. They have acknowledged that they have made mistakes and they are going to fix all of them--even the small ones.

Many other auto companies would be scrambling to hide other defects after the sort of money Toyota has spent on other recalls. Instead, Lexus and Toyota are carrying out what seem to be very rigorous testing on all of their models and spending the money to make all of their cars right.

I could honestly see Toyota becoming a "good" case study in business communication and customer relations. They are going above and beyond to solve all of their problems.

Other manufactures would not recall something like a steering wheel that doesn't properly return to center for a short time (LS460) or a manufacturing problem that could lead to engine work (which would probably happen out of warranty). Just look at BMW and their HPFP. They really need to recall (maybe talk to lexus about sourcing from them--they've done the HPFP right) instead of increasing the warranty.
Old 07-01-10, 09:27 AM
shhhua
Lead Lap

Oh man, hopefully they will fix all these problems since I'd like to get a newer model in the next year or so.
Old 07-01-10, 09:37 AM
jason60050
Driver

I am getting sick of all this back press...this is my first toyota/lexus and I think probably the last...back to Acura. Acura maybe ugly but never any problems!!
Old 07-01-10, 10:05 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lucasb7
Although these recalls are going to hurt the resale of our cars in the short term, I am VERY happy that Lexus and Toyota are taking proactive measures. They have acknowledged that they have made mistakes and they are going to fix all of them--even the small ones.

Many other auto companies would be scrambling to hide other defects after the sort of money Toyota has spent on other recalls. Instead, Lexus and Toyota are carrying out what seem to be very rigorous testing on all of their models and spending the money to make all of their cars right.

I could honestly see Toyota becoming a "good" case study in business communication and customer relations. They are going above and beyond to solve all of their problems.

Other manufactures would not recall something like a steering wheel that doesn't properly return to center for a short time (LS460) or a manufacturing problem that could lead to engine work (which would probably happen out of warranty). Just look at BMW and their HPFP. They really need to recall (maybe talk to lexus about sourcing from them--they've done the HPFP right) instead of increasing the warranty.
You're giving Toyota/Lexus too much credit. It's documented they put money over quality going back to 2003. They deserve every (monetary) spanking they get. Will it stop me from buying another Lexus? Probably not but I will be more receptive to what the competition offers more so then ever before.
Old 07-01-10, 11:21 AM
united19
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
What about 06? They need springs, too, don't they.

I know I have the symptoms of it feeling like it's going to choke out once in a while. Actually I'm waiting on my dealership to hear back from Lexus Technical Assistance about it right now. They need to just crack every car open that has been experiencing problems and just get them all fixed ASAP to maintain their reputation. At the end of the day, people really do understand that sometimes crap happens but what will scare us away from buying future toyota/lexus products would be if crap happens and they no longer stand behind their product 100%.
The models with engines that may stall are the Lexus GS 350, GS 450h, GS 460, IS 350, LS 460, LS 600h and LS 600hL, and the Toyota Crown, the company said today. About 90,000 vehicles may be affected in Japan, Takeuchi said.

Some models with 4.6-liter and 3.5-liter engines have a problem with valve springs that may, in the worst case, cause the engine to stall, Takeuchi said.
Old 07-01-10, 11:23 AM
dandd2
Lead Lap

i recently had mine completed
check engine light came on with alot of p301-306 misfires
took it to the dealership they cleared the codes and suggested a fuel injection
didnt fix the problem. engine bogged down hard and actually turned off a few times at red lights
it took them 6 weeks to complete but runs like a champ now
also got the cat converter replaced as well

Quick Reply: 270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)