GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

100 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 04:12 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ASILVER

i just saw this. too funny.

all you need is a 1000 watt stereo to go with it.

http://www.soundracer.se/?video=1
^^ V10 version to make it sound like lambo. Needs LFA version.

Last edited by dunnojack; 07-20-10 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-22-10, 05:59 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

If you are using 91 octane, you are definitely going to feel the improvement in power and economy when switching to higher octane fuel. Why?

Because you are going to get alot of the power back that you have lost by using lower octane fuel. Your factory ECU adapts to the fuel type by advancing or retarding fuel timing.
Old 07-22-10, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
If you are using 91 octane, you are definitely going to feel the improvement in power and economy when switching to higher octane fuel. Why?

Because you are going to get alot of the power back that you have lost by using lower octane fuel. Your factory ECU adapts to the fuel type by advancing or retarding fuel timing.
but at the same time i don't think it take take full advantage of the 100 octane?

when i read news in hong kong, they did this study. most fuel in hk are 98, but tests show most cars couldn't take advantage of anything more than 95
Old 07-22-10, 09:01 AM
ASILVER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by designo

are you serious....no you can't be serious....you're going to feel it?

my other car....ariel atom..0-60 in 2.8 seconds....you feel that.

you aren't going to feel any difference in power in this car no matter what octane you use unless you have superman skillz in your rearend...
Old 07-22-10, 11:14 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I have no interest in 100 Octane, but I would like to get 100% petrol as opposed to fuel diluted with 10% ethanol.

Unfortunately the only place to buy 100% petrol around here is at marinas, and most are laid out for cars driving through. Plus they are outrageously expensive.
Old 07-23-10, 02:12 PM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
but at the same time i don't think it take take full advantage of the 100 octane?

when i read news in hong kong, they did this study. most fuel in hk are 98, but tests show most cars couldn't take advantage of anything more than 95
You are absolutely right. If your car is not tuned for 100octane, you will not take full advantage of course. However, i you upgrade from 91 to 95, your car is taking maximum possible advantage.

Originally Posted by ASILVER
are you serious....no you can't be serious....you're going to feel it?

my other car....ariel atom..0-60 in 2.8 seconds....you feel that.

you aren't going to feel any difference in power in this car no matter what octane you use unless you have superman skillz in your rearend...
I speak from my experience, so please excuse my opinion if it sounds drastic to you. Our pump gas here is 91Octane with sulfur. When I switch to VP MS103 race fuel, trust me, the car feels totally different.

But you are right, in your neck of the woods, you might not feel any difference, I don't know. Perhaps US spec Lexus cars are tuned for 91.

Our lexus cars are tuned for 95 because we follow the Euro standards, but at the same time, our cars are detuned because of sulfur content in our gas which doesnt bode well with DFI engines. Also, by running our cars rich, it runs cooler in our hot climate.

If you want, I can show you pre and post race gas dyno charts on my BMW.

Does anyone have a dyno chart of a GS460? I have mine and i dynoed at 255whp. Which is well below the factory claimed figure plus drive train loss 18 to 20%. This is mainly due to our fuel.

Last edited by designo; 07-23-10 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-23-10, 02:16 PM
ASILVER
Driver

LOL....understood.

we get 93 octane in Texas and per the owner's manual the car is tuned for only 91 b/c many parts of the US don't have 93, so yeah if you were having to shove 86 aki in the car I could understand.....I guess convert that to RON where you are right?
Old 07-23-10, 02:17 PM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rjacket
I just discovered that I drive past a gas station that sells 100 octane gas.

Would there be any harm trying it?
There is NO HARM!

Try it and come back here with your feedback. I am interested to hear it.
Old 07-24-10, 11:41 AM
Mike450h
Driver

An article I ran across...

The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline
Are you tempted to buy a high octane gasoline for your car because you want to improve its performance? If so, take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual.

The only time you might need to switch to a higher octane level is if your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel. This happens to a small percentage of cars.

Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher octane gasoline is a waste of money, too. Premium gas costs 15 to 20 cents per gallon more than regular. That can add up to $100 or more a year in extra costs. Studies indicate that altogether, drivers may be spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year for higher octane gas than they need.

What are octane ratings?
Octane ratings measure a gasoline's ability to resist engine knock, a rattling or pinging sound that results from premature ignition of the compressed fuel-air mixture in one or more cylinders. Most gas stations offer three octane grades: regular (usually 87 octane), mid-grade (usually 89 octane) and premium (usually 92 or 93). The ratings must be posted on bright yellow stickers on each gasoline pump.

What's the right octane level for your car?
Check your owner's manual to determine the right octane level for your car. Regular octane is recommended for most cars. However, some cars with high compression engines, like sports cars and certain luxury cars, need mid-grade or premium gasoline to prevent knock.

How can you tell if you're using the right octane level? Listen to your car's engine. If it doesn't knock when you use the recommended octane, you're using the right grade of gasoline.

Will higher octane gasoline clean your engine better?
As a rule, high octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning your car's engine. In fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires that all octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against the build-up of harmful levels of engine deposits during the expected life of your car.

Should you ever switch to a higher octane gasoline?
A few car engines may knock or ping - even if you use the recommended octane. If this happens, try switching to the next highest octane grade. In many cases, switching to the mid-grade or premium-grade gasoline will eliminate the knock. If the knocking or pinging continues after one or two fill-ups, you may need a tune-up or some other repair. After that work is done, go back to the lowest octane grade at which your engine runs without knocking.

Is knocking harmful?
Occasional light knocking or pinging won't harm your engine, and doesn't indicate a need for higher octane. But don't ignore severe knocking. A heavy or persistent knock can lead to engine damage.

Is all "premium" or "regular" gasoline the same?
The octane rating of gasoline marked "premium" or "regular" is not consistent across the country. One state may require a minimum octane rating of 92 for all premium gasoline, while another may allow 90 octane to be called premium. To make sure you know what you're buying, check the octane rating on the yellow sticker on the gas pump instead of relying on the name "premium" or "regular."
Old 07-24-10, 03:09 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike450h
An article I ran across...

The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline

Will higher octane gasoline clean your engine better?

As a rule, high octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning your car's engine. In fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires that all octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against the build-up of harmful levels of engine deposits during the expected life of your car.
^^Thanks for posting this....

For everyone in the US; The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has the most accurate information regarding gasoline performance, and formulation as mandated by law.

i dont easily get swayed by manufacturer information as most are embellished for obvious reasons to justify a higher price.

..... "all" is straightforward regardless of brand.....straight up gas FTW
Old 07-25-10, 12:59 PM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike450h
Is knocking harmful?
Occasional light knocking or pinging won't harm your engine, and doesn't indicate a need for higher octane. But don't ignore severe knocking. A heavy or persistent knock can lead to engine damage.
When was this article written??

It's the 21st century for Pete's sake! Haven't they heard of "knock sensors"?

Excuse me, but the loss of performance you feel fro using low octane fuel is actually your ECU retarding timing and reducing power!!!

Please tell me that your 2006+ Lexus "pings" or "knocks"! Cause if it does, then someone please wake me up! I must have been sleeping all these years!
Old 07-25-10, 05:31 PM
Mike450h
Driver

Here is another one I found interesting, Definitely need to shop around for quality.

Fuel Economy Myths: High Octane Boosts Fuel Economy
[ 0 ] August 24, 2005 | Mike Wilkes
Higher octane fuel can run as much as 30-40 cents higher per gallon, and many consumers have been lead to believe that the higher the octane, the better fuel economy and power your vehicle will experience, but is this true? Can adding higher fuel grades to your vehicle improve overall fuel economy? Lets find out!

The octane number itself is actually an average between two different octane values, Motor Octane and Research Octane. The two values reference the fuels ability to resist pre-detonation, commonly called engine knock. This is important to know because engine knock is very bad for your vehicle’s motor and occurs when fuel is detonated in an engine during the compression stroke instead of when the piston has reached the optimum point of travel to make the most power from the combustion of the fuel, causing severe pressure and wear on the internal components of the engine (think of it as having you knee hit back while running).

Manufacturers typically engineer their vehicles to work with all the different types of octanes available, and some higher performance, turbo charged or supercharged vehicle might require the additional octane provided by premium fuel, but that is because the higher cyclinder pressure makes the air/fuel ratio more unstable, which is fixed by the higher octane. Just using fuel of an octane rating higher than that of the manufacturer’s recommendation will not increase performance, fuel economy, lower exhaust emissions or increase engine/fuel system life.

If your vehicle requires higher octane fuel and you run it on lower octane, don’t kid yourself into thinking the car doesn’t actually require the higher grade fuel. Most modern vehciles are equipped with a knock sensor that tells the computer to retard the timing. This will typically prevent the engine knock from happening as a retarded spark will fire later in the combustion cycle, but it’s not ideal as it decreases performance, fuel economy

, increases emissions and causes the engine to run hotter. In the long run, the money saved at the pump will be wasted in economy and potentially expensive repairs.

More often then not, the fuel economy and performance of your motor can lead back to the fuel itself. The different methods of blending fuels to manufacturer the specific grades of fuel is more important than the octane level. Cheaper grades of fuel tend to have higher levels of undesirable compounds such as benzene, sulfer, diolefins and olefins which are typically removed in the refinemnet process. This all costs money which is passed back to the consumer in the price of the fuel. With these compounds present in the fuel, the vehicle is more apt to develop issues with higher emmisions, fuel system sludge build up and shortened catalytic converter life, which can all affect your overall engine performance and ultimately fuel economy.

What’s the bottom line? Unless your vehicle’s manufacturer specifies it or if you have modified your engine with a supercharger, turbo or performance chip, then don’t use the higher grade fuels unless you just want to pay more. That being said, the brand of fuel you use could make all the difference for you by extending engine life and increasing fuel economy in the long run. We’re not suggesting you get what you pay for at the pump, but the higher priced fuels cost more than the quick-e-mart brand fuel for a reason.