GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tech features: 2011 M37 vs 2010 GS350 and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10, 11:31 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tech features: 2011 M37 vs 2010 GS350 and ramblings

As I am comparison shopping the two cars (comparably equipped), the only advancements (regarding technology) I can find are the M37 has a 9.3 GB hard drive for media and a 7 speed automatic. Otherwise, everything else seems apples to apples (or too close to make a difference).

My question (or comment) is, besides what little progress it seems Infiniti has made in the 5 years since it introduced the '06 M35, doesn't it now come down to aesthetics (and price)?

On a side note, should I decide to replace my leased '07 GS350 with the purchase of a new 2010 GS350, I'd have no regrets not waiting for the new GS model. Besides the car having limited availability the first year, it's foolish (IMO) to buy a car during its first model year. Too many things can (and will) go wrong. I will not be a Lexus (or Infiniti) beta-tester. Best to buy any car after its first year refresh while they identify and get the bugs out.
Old 05-31-10, 01:10 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool Infiniti features not on 2010 GS
I think there are some cool features on the Infiniti which I hope the next GS has:

1) Around view monitor. This is vastly superior to backup camera and great for keeping your wheels free from scratches when parallel parking. I really want this feature in my next car. BMW also has something similar.

2) 3D navigation. I am guessing here but all the pics of the 2010 GS seem to show the same aerial view. I like Infiniti's 3D navigation with landmarks.

3) Paddle shifters.

4) Forest Air.

5) Automatic mobile phone selection. In Lexus you have to select which phone to pair manually. In Infiniti you can prioritize a pairing list, so for instance if I get into my wife's Infiniti and if she isn't in the car it will pair with my iPhone automatically because it knows that her iPhone isn't in the car. However if she gets in my Lexus, she has to go into the menu and select her phone. Then when I come along, I have to change it back to my phone. So it is manual to switch phones on the Lexus, but automatic on the Infiniti.

Cool 2010 Lexus features not on Infiniti M37
1) Enform
2) Better Navigation voice - especially spoken street names as opposed to text to speech which is used on the Infiniti. It is much easier to understand what the Lexus is saying.
3) Superior Mark Levinson sound system over Bose system in Infiniti.

Best features of BMW, Audi, and Lincoln which Lexus and Infiniti don't have
1) Heads-up display - preferably a full colour one like in the 2011 5 series

2) Google search with the navigation (fitted in latest BMWs and Audi A8)

3) Handwriting recognition to enter addresses into navigation or google search.

3) Truly effective voice control (like Ford Sync)
4) Apps (like Ford's mytouch)

Last edited by *Batman*; 05-31-10 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-31-10, 02:04 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
4) Apps (like Ford's mytouch)
God no, I already think the whole cell phone apps thing is totally out of control. The last thing we need is people shaking the baby while driving etc.
Old 05-31-10, 02:07 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
God no, I already think the whole cell phone apps thing is totally out of control. The last thing we need is people shaking the baby while driving etc.
It's not for that buddy. It's for this reason: Imagine you bought a car without navigation, and you want navigation. With our GS you have to do a $3000 job to install new head unit and DVD drive to serve up the maps. With a Ford myTouch you just buy the navigation app. Done.

And forget about paying $12 a month for satellite radio, just download and use Pandora or Stitcher instead to create your own radio station.
Old 05-31-10, 03:05 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the Forest Air is more of a gimmick.

Paddle shifters are nice but has little use in daily driving. I can quasi-understand paddle shifters in a bon-a-fide sports car. But not on a luxury car.

3D navigation is a nice perk. But it wasn't too long ago that I could get to where I was going by opening a Thomas Guide (they still print those, don't they?).

Lexus' Enform is what OnStar (version 2) was to GM. A little used technology that gets no respect. Unfortunate.

HUD is nice - used it driving the Las Vegas strip in a friend's STS. A nice feature but I think the technology must be licensed from GM (originally a Hughes product).

There will come a day when the Internet will be accessible via the car of your choice. But I go back to my original comment of what new, (useful and/or practical) technology is available now that wasn't five years ago (when comparing the new M to a 2010 GS). Either I don't know of it or I just don't see a need for whatever new tech is currently available.
Old 05-31-10, 03:13 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M37 FTW with the Technology package.
Old 05-31-10, 03:42 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bushwack
But I go back to my original comment of what new, (useful and/or practical) technology is available now that wasn't five years ago (when comparing the new M to a 2010 GS). Either I don't know of it or I just don't see a need for whatever new tech is currently available.
There is a lot of useful new tech:
1) Around view monitor - significantly increases ease of parking and reduces risk of curb rash
2) Blind spot warnings or blind spot camera in BMW case - reduces collision risk and increases driving visibility
3) Head-up display - navigation with eyes on the road
4) Collision prevention systems - stops the car before it hits something
5) Lane departure prevention systems - prevents you drifting into the car next to you
6) Paddle Shifters - provides enjoyment for those of us who want luxury and fun. BMW M5 drivers enjoy them, ISF drivers enjoy them, why can't I enjoy them in my 345hp GS460.
7) Voice control that works - I love it when I drive a Lexus that I can say something like "Dial Sirish Krishnamurthy" or some obscure name like that and it will know what I am saying, find that number in my iPhone and dial it without error every time, and without me teaching it how to recognize names. or I can say "Play artist bruce springsteen, song dancing in the dark" and it will do just that. or I can say "Find nearest cheesecake factory" and it will do just that and not put up some junk I wasn't asking for like in our cars.

Yes there is a ton of great tech. It is easy to use. Unfortunately nobody has assembled it on any one car. And some of you guys won't like it because its different.
Old 05-31-10, 04:49 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Paddle shifters... I also don't really get what the big deal is about them other than they are "neater" than using the shift ****. I file those things under "user preference", not really something that is a technical advancement that is any better than pushing a shift **** up and down. The whole manual shift auto is kind of lost on me as a whole to begin with, though.

Maybe somebody can explain to me why they ever take it out of fully automatic because I don't get anything out of it... shifts are smoother, fuel economy is better, and acceleration isn't even helped by putting it into manual shift mode so... question marks. The only thing I like it for is when traffic is really crawling and I just want to keep it from going in and out of 2nd gear for no reason.
Old 05-31-10, 04:53 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Paddle shifters... I also don't really get what the big deal is about them other than they are "neater" than using the shift ****. I file those things under "user preference", not really something that is a technical advancement that is any better than pushing a shift **** up and down. The whole manual shift auto is kind of lost on me as a whole to begin with, though.

Maybe somebody can explain to me why they ever take it out of fully automatic because I don't get anything out of it... shifts are smoother, fuel economy is better, and acceleration isn't even helped by putting it into manual shift mode so... question marks. The only thing I like it for is when traffic is really crawling and I just want to keep it from going in and out of 2nd gear for no reason.
Dude this is one of those things that you either get or don't get. I can't explain it. But when I get an IS350 loaner when my car is in service, I really enjoy the paddle shifting. It brings a smile to my face.
Old 05-31-10, 05:28 PM
LexFather

I drove a M56

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...s6-others.html

...it has some newer tech and most of it is optional and drives the price way up and simply to much for this brand. Its funny to hear it "beep beep" constantly with the cameras and lane change warnings lol.

After playing with a 2011 550 and driving a 535 that would be my choice over the Infiniti easily.
Old 05-31-10, 07:00 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I drove a M56

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...s6-others.html

...it has some newer tech and most of it is optional and drives the price way up and simply to much for this brand. Its funny to hear it "beep beep" constantly with the cameras and lane change warnings lol.

After playing with a 2011 550 and driving a 535 that would be my choice over the Infiniti easily.
I agree. In fact the 2011 5er would be my choice over both the 2010 GS and 2011 M37. But that said I live dangerously - BMW is one of the last luxury sedan brands you should buy in first year of production. I learned the hard way when I bought a 2001 4th one delivered in the USA in 2000.
Old 05-31-10, 07:01 PM
rjacket
Driver

It's not for that buddy. It's for this reason: Imagine you bought a car without navigation, and you want navigation. With our GS you have to do a $3000 job to install new head unit and DVD drive to serve up the maps. With a Ford myTouch you just buy the navigation app. Done.

And forget about paying $12 a month for satellite radio, just download and use Pandora or Stitcher instead to create your own radio station.
That's a good point but all the Lexus needs is bluetooth streaming audio and then you could listen to all your music. I have a blackberry with an 8GB micro SDHC card. It can hold more music than 6 CD's with mp3s. It can also receive streaming music from Pandora etc.
Old 05-31-10, 07:05 PM
rjacket
Driver

Originally Posted by Bushwack
As I am comparison shopping the two cars (comparably equipped), the only advancements (regarding technology) I can find are the M37 has a 9.3 GB hard drive for media and a 7 speed automatic. Otherwise, everything else seems apples to apples (or too close to make a difference).

My question (or comment) is, besides what little progress it seems Infiniti has made in the 5 years since it introduced the '06 M35, doesn't it now come down to aesthetics (and price)?

On a side note, should I decide to replace my leased '07 GS350 with the purchase of a new 2010 GS350, I'd have no regrets not waiting for the new GS model. Besides the car having limited availability the first year, it's foolish (IMO) to buy a car during its first model year. Too many things can (and will) go wrong. I will not be a Lexus (or Infiniti) beta-tester. Best to buy any car after its first year refresh while they identify and get the bugs out.
The first year theory is a common one. I thought great, 2007 GS would not have the issues of the 2006 one, but the rattles apparently still aren't fixed.

In your position, if I really wanted a Lexus, I would definitely wait for the 4GS. Lexus have had plenty of time to make it a good car. Otherwise consider the other competition - Jag XF, BMW5 as I think they are significantly superior to the 3GS. A one year old CLS or 7 series is also an option.
Old 05-31-10, 07:18 PM
rjacket
Driver

There is a lot of useful new tech:
1) Around view monitor - significantly increases ease of parking and reduces risk of curb rash
2) Blind spot warnings or blind spot camera in BMW case - reduces collision risk and increases driving visibility
3) Head-up display - navigation with eyes on the road
4) Collision prevention systems - stops the car before it hits something
5) Lane departure prevention systems - prevents you drifting into the car next to you
6) Paddle Shifters - provides enjoyment for those of us who want luxury and fun. BMW M5 drivers enjoy them, ISF drivers enjoy them, why can't I enjoy them in my 345hp GS460.
7) Voice control that works - I love it when I drive a Lexus that I can say something like "Dial Sirish Krishnamurthy" or some obscure name like that and it will know what I am saying, find that number in my iPhone and dial it without error every time, and without me teaching it how to recognize names. or I can say "Play artist bruce springsteen, song dancing in the dark" and it will do just that. or I can say "Find nearest cheesecake factory" and it will do just that and not put up some junk I wasn't asking for like in our cars.

Yes there is a ton of great tech. It is easy to use. Unfortunately nobody has assembled it on any one car. And some of you guys won't like it because its different.
I agree in particular with a couple of things. All round view especially at the front and rear that lets you see sideways. Infiniti have actually had this for a while I think debuted on the EX. I think after some time, this will become one of those things that people will wonder how people every drove without it. If they can somehow add some recognition to it eg heat or visual tied into the braking system, then think of how many of those unfortunate accidents especially with kids might be avoided.

Blind spot warning. I wish I had this. I'm disappointed that my Lexus mirror doesn't magnify the blind spot. Volvo I think had the blind spot warning quite a few years ago.

Something I like that Acura did was adjust the climate control based on the position of the sun. I think the GS's interior comfort is good and quite clever in terms of how it senses the sun, but it could get better. If you imagine that the GPS knows exactly where you are and what direction you're travelling in, if the computer also knows the time and has some sort of interior model of the car, and it knows your seating position, it could approximate how the sun is impacting every occupant and automatically adjust the air flow etc.

With voice control, I've found that the technology in my blackberry is excellent. Lexus should buy in these technologies just like Ford did with Sync.

Lastly, I know that Garmin interfaces with many cars including I believe the new M. I think this is how all cars should work in terms of GPS. There should be a universal mount and an industry standard connection. Then you could buy whatever GPS you want and it would work in any car. $2000 for a GPS that becomes obsolete is not a good value proposition to me and it also costs Lexus to produce it and keep it updated.
Old 05-31-10, 08:07 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rjacket
I agree in particular with a couple of things. All round view especially at the front and rear that lets you see sideways. Infiniti have actually had this for a while I think debuted on the EX. I think after some time, this will become one of those things that people will wonder how people every drove without it. If they can somehow add some recognition to it eg heat or visual tied into the braking system, then think of how many of those unfortunate accidents especially with kids might be avoided.

Blind spot warning. I wish I had this. I'm disappointed that my Lexus mirror doesn't magnify the blind spot. Volvo I think had the blind spot warning quite a few years ago.

Something I like that Acura did was adjust the climate control based on the position of the sun. I think the GS's interior comfort is good and quite clever in terms of how it senses the sun, but it could get better. If you imagine that the GPS knows exactly where you are and what direction you're travelling in, if the computer also knows the time and has some sort of interior model of the car, and it knows your seating position, it could approximate how the sun is impacting every occupant and automatically adjust the air flow etc.

With voice control, I've found that the technology in my blackberry is excellent. Lexus should buy in these technologies just like Ford did with Sync.

Lastly, I know that Garmin interfaces with many cars including I believe the new M. I think this is how all cars should work in terms of GPS. There should be a universal mount and an industry standard connection. Then you could buy whatever GPS you want and it would work in any car. $2000 for a GPS that becomes obsolete is not a good value proposition to me and it also costs Lexus to produce it and keep it updated.
I agree with you but on the navigation I don't think the answer is a standard dock. For instance I might want a Navigation with an expensive 10" OLED screen, and Joe blogs in his Toyota might want one with a cheap 3.5" LCD. The best approach is not a standard dock, but a standard software platform with downloadable apps like Ford has done together with Microsoft. I think all cars should either have Microsoft of Android platforms for nav, telematics and entertainment. Then to upgrade your nav or even to buy it in the first place you just pay for the app. You either download directly into car over 3G or download at home and then install from USB stick.

This is exactly the way my radar and laser systems work. USB port in the car, hook to laptop to update software and traffic camera database every so often.

Quick Reply: Tech features: 2011 M37 vs 2010 GS350 and ramblings