GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

***** New TSIB to treat Carbon Build-up ****

Old 05-23-10, 09:04 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ***** New TSIB to treat Carbon Build-up ****

Attached is a new TSIB that I discovered to treat carbon build-up. The TSIB shows that only GS300's are affected. There's also one pre-requisite TSIB to certain GS300's that I am not able to attach due to size, I believe. If you need it, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

For all of you that are having any of the idle stumbling symptoms, rough idle, and MIL lights (the list goes on and on), check to see if you qualify for these bulletins.

EDIT: I've successully compressed the pre-requisite TSIB and have uploaded it here (5/26/10)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by TWong350; 05-26-10 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Successfully added pre-requisite TSIB
Old 05-23-10, 09:37 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks again for finding and sending this to me Tony. Made my day, I can't wait to visit Lexus this week.
Old 05-23-10, 09:59 PM
TWong350

Due to a handful of email requests, I've decided to upload the missing TSIB to a file sharing site for those that wish to download since I can't upload to CL because of file size. See original thread for link.
Old 05-23-10, 10:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-23-10, 11:06 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am interested why not the 350 because they all have ruff idle's, which they consider NORMAL
Old 05-24-10, 01:48 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I am interested why not the 350 because they all have ruff idle's, which they consider NORMAL
Maybe one will come eventually. They are all at least 1 year newer and they have the secondary port injectors which should theoretically clean up the intake valves though I don't know how often or under what circumstances they operate.

The TSBs Tony sent me are all "US" tsbs and we often have different numbers even for the same procedures in Canada (for reasons unknown) so I'm hoping they don't shrug and tell me I have to wait for a Canadian one considering that they describe my issues to the letter. It's a holiday here today, so I plan on talking to them about it tomorrow.

The nice thing about the primary TSB for it is that it has an OR condition for the rough idle behavior etc even if there are no error codes (which my car has never given me).
Old 05-25-10, 10:57 AM
BinaryJay

Spoke to my service manager this morning and showed him the printouts. Problem is, that the new TSB doesn't exist for Lexus Canada (yet?) -- which is ridiculous that they have separate ones to begin with considering that the cars are all the same and made in the same place in Japan.

He said that performing the new TSB probably wouldn't be a problem but he seemed hesitant about the larger one involving the valve springs. He did find the Canadian equivalent for the springs but it has not been updated to reference the new engine clean one either.

He promised to call me back this afternoon about it, but I don't think I will allow them to do the new TSB without performing the prerequisite valve springs one if for some reason they won't do it... I will just try waiting it out for Lexus Canada to get their **** together and get in sync with the updated TSBs. Hopefully they will just go ahead and do everything, maybe they will just have to get prior approval from somebody at corporate to do it ahead of the official tsb sync up.

As usual, being a consumer in Canada is being made unnecessarily difficult.
Old 05-25-10, 03:51 PM
TWong350

Wow, that sucks, J. Just give it time. I'm sure a Canada version will be out.

But why do you not want them to do the TSIB without the pre-requisite one?
Old 05-25-10, 06:16 PM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tried to download file but got a message limit has been reached
Old 05-25-10, 06:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good looking out!
Old 05-25-10, 06:42 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by TWong1200
But why do you not want them to do the TSIB without the pre-requisite one?
Because the pre-requisite one requires certain misfire DTCs to be stored, while the new engine clean tsb does not, it requires only the symptoms I'm having. Since the new TSB states to perform the pre-requisite one, I think that I'd be getting stuck with an "incomplete" repair if they aren't both performed.

After all, there must be some reason they linked these two together. There must be something different with the valve springs and the related hardware which changed part numbers which, after cleaning out the buildup that occurred before the part change, might help it from reoccurring?

I can't think of any other reason why the valve springs would be named as a prerequisite or why the valve springs TSB also references the carbon buildup TSB.
Old 05-25-10, 06:57 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coincidence on not, but my Lexus dealer did ALL the above repairs prior to this "official" TSIBs on the 1st week of May.

I guess my persistence in elevating this issue further paid off to a point of an official TSIB..who knows...

We had to open a Lexus TAS (Technical Assistance Service) case based on my carbon buildup complaint with intermittent misfiring months ago prior to this TSIB.

I was just originally scheduled only for an oil change + cold start clunk issue fix + follow up for the initial carbon buildup fix (initial fix was 02 sensors + ECU).

My dealer informed me that upon completing the cold start clunk fix they noticed my engine misfired; diagnosis showed misfire despite the initial fix; they went ahead and updated my valve springs, camshafts, performed top engine cleanup.

---Again, the carbon build-up issue fix is on a case to case basis; your dealer has to take time in diagnosing the problem

**as for my opinion on this TSIB fix:

-i still have to see if this TSIB solves the carbon buildup issue on the GS300/350--yes, based on my observation the 350s are also prone to this issue, perhaps the 350s would soon be part of this TSIB...don't take my word for this is just my humble opinion......seems like MOST DI engines regardless of brand have definite carbonbuild-up issues (not Lexus/Toyota isolated)

-the key here is the +08 GS; as far as i can remember the updated valve springs are the same ones from the +08 GS's....let's see if these models won't have the buildup issue.

-Tony, and myself are working on a PCV mod that would hopefully decrease the amount of oil ingested/recirculated into the intake manifold....almost done Tony! - due for a long test run soon.

Last edited by spine911; 05-25-10 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-25-10, 07:45 PM
TWong350

Originally Posted by TriniGS
Tried to download file but got a message limit has been reached
I'm working with Henry to get this uploaded permanently. Stay tuned
Old 05-25-10, 09:35 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey spine
I have a decent amount of carbon on the exhaust pipes and once in a while, I get some rough idle, nothing bad, will any of this help me ? should I have the carbon looked at ? if not will it be an issue in the long run ?
Old 05-25-10, 10:43 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^
Thats it...schedule an appointment with your dealer.

keep in mind you might have carbon buildup with/without a MIL....Lexus has a proprietory diagnostic tool which reads ALL engine faults (with/without a MIL).

....Do you still remember that time i PMed you about observing, and comparing the 3GS tailpipe carbon buildup with your other autos???

I thought i was paranoid but alarm bells were ringing after i noticed the excessive amount of exhaust tip carbon on this 3GS compared to my 997 C4S, and 986S (DI engine).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ***** New TSIB to treat Carbon Build-up ****