GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

thought about swapping my gs for a rwd.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 11:46 AM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thought about swapping my gs for a rwd.......

well i stopped by lexus today to see if they had any deals on swapping my gs for a rwd. i can completely forget about swapping it to a rwd 350 haha. my car has 14.500 miles and they offered me 27k lol. they got really excited when the saw the car but aint no way in hell they are getting it.
i then thought about maybe there is a chance of changing the awd to a rwd, so i called the main tech up and he told me not even to bother because the way the car was designed you have to change the tranny and other components. really put me and all of us awd users with vibrations in the middle or can't do nothing which really sucks.
the only way to get rid of this vibrations/wobble is putting the car back to stock or sell and get a mint rwd in the auction which is a killer after all this work done to the car. REALLY SUCKS....
Old 05-12-10, 12:10 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sorry to hear about problem with awd,,,cant imagine dealing with vibration issues on daily,,,
Old 05-12-10, 12:20 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Whats worse is, you dont really have a choice if you live in NYC or somewhere in the NE region. You are pretty much forced to drive an AWD. Unless of course you have an extra $10K, then 460 becomes an option.
Old 05-12-10, 12:28 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

you could have the dealer get one from another dealer and have it delivered. i believe its not that expensive either.
Old 05-12-10, 12:38 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

^^^ They would charge him around $1K for that... And also, not too many delears want to swap cars. For instance, if a local delear finds a RWD car in FL, the delear in FL may not want an AWD, since it would be harder for him/her to sell this car there.
Old 05-12-10, 01:05 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

NY's climate is pretty much the same as here in Toronto. As much as I like the look of a lowered car, it just doesn't make much sense to go RWD you just lose too much utility/safety.

Also there is something to be said about having the car sit higher up if you live in the city and have to do a lot of street parking and dealing with poorly plowed roads where you often have to nearly go "offroading" on top of piles of snow along the curb.

90% of the people out there looking at your car are clueless to the wheel gap anyway. My wife's cousin's girlfriend looked at my stock suspension AWD and even said "Is it lowered?" I said, no... and she said "Oh, it looks like it." LOL, what?
Old 05-12-10, 01:38 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
^^^ They would charge him around $1K for that... And also, not too many delears want to swap cars. For instance, if a local delear finds a RWD car in FL, the delear in FL may not want an AWD, since it would be harder for him/her to sell this car there.
they wouldnt swap but purchase the car from them and then sell to the customer.
Old 05-12-10, 06:11 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

they would swap but i am not giving my car for 27k haha and starting over a whole new finance. the money that they want to give me will basically cover what i owe and then start from new, its messed up lol. big mistake. i guess we live and learn. how is everyone else doing with this ****ty awd system lol
Old 05-12-10, 06:33 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

We should meet up someday....I really want to see for myself the vibs you guys get on AWD models. We can compare to my RWD, maybe it is not so bad
Old 05-12-10, 06:49 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

yeah we deff should meet up. if you guys want lets meet up this saturday with a few other people. sniper your getting vibrations on your rwd ??? it should be smooth as butter.
Old 05-12-10, 07:43 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well honestly i drove a RWD and a FWD in NYC brooklyn through winter's and it hasn't been bad at all. Ofcourse the AWD is better but Lexus AWD system is horrible compared to Acura and Audi systems. But about swapping i would never do it even if they were to offer you a RWD with 14k miles. When i was looking for a GS i wanted AWD.
Old 05-12-10, 08:26 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Well honestly i drove a RWD and a FWD in NYC brooklyn through winter's and it hasn't been bad at all. Ofcourse the AWD is better but Lexus AWD system is horrible compared to Acura and Audi systems. But about swapping i would never do it even if they were to offer you a RWD with 14k miles. When i was looking for a GS i wanted AWD.
Horrible? It gets power to all of the wheels and isn't locked 50/50... not sure what more I would care for, it does the job and doesn't seem to break.
Old 05-12-10, 09:06 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gs350on22s
yeah we deff should meet up. if you guys want lets meet up this saturday with a few other people. sniper your getting vibrations on your rwd ??? it should be smooth as butter.
Nope, no vibrations here. I just want to see how bad the vibrations are on AWD models.
Old 05-12-10, 09:16 PM
anaq110
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350on22s
how is everyone else doing with this ****ty awd system lol
I'm very happy with AWD system and even lowered on F-Sports, no vibs\wobbles. I drove back and forth from Jersey to Toronto during the last winter storm and I didn't loose control once on my blizzaks. Now my GS400 was a different story, 2 Winter ago I got stuck in Buffalo area overnight and that's with a new set of Nokians.

I honestly think its a combination of AWD system and the set of Winter tires you are using. I had a fairly new set of Dunlop A\S run flats on my car when I got it and they were trash decent in rain but snow forget bout it.
Old 05-12-10, 09:56 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by anaq110
I'm very happy with AWD system and even lowered on F-Sports, no vibs\wobbles. I drove back and forth from Jersey to Toronto during the last winter storm and I didn't loose control once on my blizzaks. Now my GS400 was a different story, 2 Winter ago I got stuck in Buffalo area overnight and that's with a new set of Nokians.

I honestly think its a combination of AWD system and the set of Winter tires you are using. I had a fairly new set of Dunlop A\S run flats on my car when I got it and they were trash decent in rain but snow forget bout it.
I didn't have any issues other than a few momentary slides doing right angle turns with too much gas last winter and I was using hardly top of the line, old, all seasons at the time. Still, I'm getting winter wheels for next winter.

Quick Reply: thought about swapping my gs for a rwd.......