GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Just drove the Infiniti M56S vs. my GS460

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 08:30 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
you payed 50-55k for a toyota.
Except the GS is not a Toyota and the M37/56it is a Nissan Fuga

Toyota didn't rebadge a Crown and give it to us as Nissan does. The GS was always a GS.

That said both are still built to the specifications of a 50-70k car.
Old 04-13-10, 09:27 AM
zerohero
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first and second gen GS were the same as the Toyota Aristo. Only after the introduction of the Lexus brand in Japan did they change it to a Lexus GS.
Old 04-13-10, 09:39 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Toyota didn't rebadge a Crown and give it to us as Nissan does. The GS was always a GS.

With the launch of Infiniti in Europe, Middle East and Asian export markets (e.g. China), a large majority of these vehicles are sold as Infinitis rather than as Nissans.

So it isn't so much that the Nissan Fuga was rebadged the Infiniti M37, so much as the Infiniti M37 was rebadged the Nissan Fuga for the Japan market.
Old 04-13-10, 11:01 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't had a chance to drive the Infiniti M (need to as my lease expires soon). But aesthetically, the car looks nice today but the design has a short life. Front of the car is designed for various modifications for the next few years. As for the B pillar, it should have been sloped (angled) further. The new Jaguar XJ is what I would call a timeless design.
Old 04-13-10, 03:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by batman75
With the launch of Infiniti in Europe, Middle East and Asian export markets (e.g. China), a large majority of these vehicles are sold as Infinitis rather than as Nissans.

So it isn't so much that the Nissan Fuga was rebadged the Infiniti M37, so much as the Infiniti M37 was rebadged the Nissan Fuga for the Japan market.
Not denying that. In Japan the Skyline and Fuga are called "premium" Nissans. The EX 35 is also called a Skyline there.

Doesn't matter what they call them, they are built to higher specs than say an Altima. Not going to pick on them for being called Nissans there, they are still built to high standards.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-avalon-2.html

There is some confusion here.

The GS was ALWAYS designed to be a GS. This is shown by the 1GS getting its design from Guigario, the Italian design firm and was sold worldwide EXCEPT in Japan. Remember that these cars were designed as Lexus but they were REBADGED as Toyotas in Japan as they decided not to debut a dealer network until 2006.

It it was a rebadge job or they put no effort it in, we simply would have gotten a Toyota Crown rebadge. We didn't, Lexus got an entirely new and different vehicle.

Also remember that we got the I-6 and then a V-8 here that Japan never got. Japan got the I-6 and a tt I-6. They also got 4WS and other tricks we never got. When the 3GS debuted both here and there got V-6s and V-8s and the hybrid.

The Avalon debuted in 1995 I believe based off the Camry, stretched 6 inches or so but weighed only 100 more lbs amazingly. It basically was the better Buick for 15 years until Buick woke up recently. The Avalon has always been built in KY and always for the American market only. It is not exported from my understanding.
Old 04-13-10, 05:26 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Went to check out the new M. Very disappointed. I had high expectations after reading all the rave reviews about how the interior was improved. I LOVED the previous interior. I almost bought M45 three years ago, but decided to go with GS450h. I think the new interior is a step down.
Old 04-13-10, 07:07 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the new M56 and was completely unimpressed with the styling.

I was way more impressed when the previous gen came out...
Old 04-13-10, 09:16 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I think it is a great car.
Old 04-13-10, 10:30 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly speaking I wen't to infiniti dealership today just for the M37 n M56. Once i sat in the car first impression, That bubble steering wheel belongs in a cartoon. No wood on it which is a step down for me in a luxury car. No wood on the door's. The leather seemed pretty cheap to me. So overall from 1 to 10 i would give it like a 5 or a 6 where GS is like a 8 or a 9.
Old 04-14-10, 09:42 AM
sucka
Rookie

I love the chocolate brown leather they have. Rich and sumptous.
Old 04-14-10, 01:48 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Honestly speaking I wen't to infiniti dealership today just for the M37 n M56. Once i sat in the car first impression, That bubble steering wheel belongs in a cartoon. No wood on it which is a step down for me in a luxury car. No wood on the door's. The leather seemed pretty cheap to me. So overall from 1 to 10 i would give it like a 5 or a 6 where GS is like a 8 or a 9.
Exactly my impressions! - I am test driving the Genesis V8 tomorrow morning!
Old 04-14-10, 03:56 PM
gsexy300
Pole Position

I drove it today too, fully loaded, tech, sport package. An eye watering 67k for an Infiniti.

Writing my 1SICKREVIW in car chat but will post my thoughts in this thread as well.

I simply was not as impressed overall as batman was. Its good, IMO not 67k good.

Quick pros-tons of power, interior stepped up in quality, lots of available tech, great brakes. great headroom
Negatives-exterior is a miss, price is ridiculous, steering/handling was ample but felt artificial, ride was not good
Sounds like wait 3 years and pick it up for $25K. Just like most mid-range luxury cars. depreciation is ludicrous on all our rides. My 2006 GS 300 has already depreciated at least $12K from i bought it 2 years ago.
Old 04-14-10, 04:02 PM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LIMS407
went to check it out few days ago but it didnt blew me away like others,,,just dont like the body stylin, and the ugly taillights,,,
What is it about tail lights that Infinity finds so challenging? The 2009 M's looked like a cartoon character's car.

actually, it seems like the best we can hope for when it comes to rear end styling is not to offend. i think that aerodynamics dictates this big fat *** on a car and you can only do so much if you've got a 4 foot wall of metal. Remember the rear end of the series 3 Jag XK sedan? Now that was a beautifully proportioned, slender nicely pinched ***. Kind of the Jessica Alba of cars.

now cars all look like Kirstie Ally's butt.
Old 04-14-10, 04:05 PM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by marshmallo
I saw the new M56 and was completely unimpressed with the styling.

I was way more impressed when the previous gen came out...
it does seem like infinity is just trying too hard. like someone else said. Overblown, overwrought.

man, i look around and with the exception of the rear end styling on 3GS, i STILL say it's the by far the best looking mid-size luxury sport sedan. I wish the auto buff press gave it some props. Why must they all hate Lexus? Is it just not 'cool' to like the GS? At least admit that it's really gorgeous, even if you it's not an 'engaging' drive.
Old 04-14-10, 04:18 PM
gsexy300
Pole Position

It still comes off as being tall and narrow, not quite so bad as the current M. But no where near as low, wide and sleek like our 3GS.

Quick Reply: Just drove the Infiniti M56S vs. my GS460