GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

First Mod to be done....Tape Deck adaptor..I am a believer..

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 02:56 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Mod to be done....Tape Deck adaptor..I am a believer..

Hey guys, I just had to post this. I was so amazed and a believer of the Lexus/Toyota Tape player. I was reading on the forums how other members were using the tape player with a tape adaptor to use for there ipods and streaming music. I thought to myself...Really? a tape adaptor? It's not going to work, this thing will sound crappy and cheesy.

Clearly, I am a believer now...

I bought a cheapy $3.00 tape adaptor off ebay, little did I know the many options I could do with it.

I hooked it up to my HTC Hero Android Phone. I streamed Pandora Radio on it and was pretty surprised at the sound quality not bad at all pretty close to an FM radio station.

I then dialed a call out from my phone to my wife, just to see if it would work with outgoing calls. Surprisingly I was able to hear her through my speakers in the car (and was pretty clear) AND I was able to talk to her !!!! She had no problems hearing me or anything through the speaker on the phone (without it being on speakerphone on my Hero). She said it sounded alot clearer then my inlaws RX when using the bluetooth system !.

When I hanged up the phone, the Pandora app came back on automatically and the sounds were coming out of the speaker !

I'm amazed....for $3.00 or less...wow...

I'm glad Lexus put the double din in our car...a VERY good if not the best alternate if you want to run MP3's, phone, whatever in your car..

I believe now...hahaha

Cheers
Old 03-12-10, 03:06 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man Chris what a week mod. I expected more out of you. Now you got me curious if this would work with other cars.
Old 03-12-10, 03:10 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

only on our htc phones buddy.... you can trash them iphones,itouches,ipods,zunes, etc etc. in the garbage with the quality they shoot out.... for some reason our htc phones (and i also recall, a few of the creative zentouch models) are the only good models that actually have good mp3 feed
Old 03-12-10, 04:55 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i love mine. ive been using mine for like 2 years now. for the price you get it for, you cant beat it.
Old 03-12-10, 05:14 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

hahah bigguppy, soon, my friend....soon...I got parts waiting in my garage, but not going to put them on until after april when I get back from my trip to san francisco !

Goku: hahaha I never tried my Itouch yet, maybe ill try my friends Iphone and see how it does. Like you said, the live MP3 feed from my HTC has no problems and like I said actually sounds really good.

IXI187IXI: I got the idea from you and some other guy ! hahaha, I was thinking to myself...no way this would work before I bought it. For $3.00 can't gro wrong, I figure it it breaks just go buy a new one at the 0.99 cent store haha.
Old 03-12-10, 05:27 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
only on our htc phones buddy.... you can trash them iphones,itouches,ipods,zunes, etc etc. in the garbage with the quality they shoot out.... for some reason our htc phones (and i also recall, a few of the creative zentouch models) are the only good models that actually have good mp3 feed
I had a tilt and the lag on that phone was horrible!
Old 03-12-10, 06:05 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i have no problems with my iphone
Old 03-12-10, 06:05 AM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Verizon Droid as well..stream Pandora and downloaded music from I-music both play close to CD quality out of that 2.00 tape deck. This also worked on my wife's Pathfinder. So this tape deck adopter will work on any car with a tape deck.
Old 03-12-10, 06:09 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

It just sucks that most new cars have no tape deck at all. My wife's 98 accord doesn't have a tape deck just a CD loader. I guess it comes to show how far toyota/lexus has gone to get away from a tape deck double din. I'm not sure for the newer cars. I know my sister's 07 highlander doesnt have a tape deck.
Old 03-12-10, 08:21 AM
JBasco20
Pole Position

i love my iphone and it works perfect with the bluetooth in my GS430
Old 03-12-10, 09:14 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah screw that tape stuff... i wanna see someone do the mini disc mod and see if they can swap out the tape player for the minidisc or something else..
Old 03-12-10, 10:22 AM
HomieG
Driver

Glad to hear this worked out for you. It's usually the best alternative, just behind a direct connection (such as the VAIS), so long as the car has a cassette player.

Indeed I was surprised a few days ago when someone commented about an FM modulator being better than the tape adapter. It' usually the other way around, the tape adapter being the better choice between those two. I suspect his cassette player head was out of alignment, or that player had some other problem.
Old 03-12-10, 10:39 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it a Stereo or Mono? I found out that my tape adapter is mono. Not bad, but the other 4.1 speakers are basically off when using mono like this.
Old 03-12-10, 11:08 AM
Paul_in_PA
Rookie

Maybe I am an outlier, but I tried a tape deck adapter and a ciagrette lighter adapter ofr my iPod and iPhone. I thought sounds quality was terrible. Can't stand the mess of extra wires either. I tossed both adapters . . . I have the ML audio package and really enjoy the DVD-Audio option (even though material is really hard to find.) But even the CD player sounds decent enough.

I don't get it . . . my wife's 2006 siena has a mic jack for iPod / iPhone integration but not my 2007 GS350. But I have a tape deck???? Seriously . . . Damn you Lexus . . .
Old 03-12-10, 11:19 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HomieG
Glad to hear this worked out for you. It's usually the best alternative, just behind a direct connection (such as the VAIS), so long as the car has a cassette player.

Indeed I was surprised a few days ago when someone commented about an FM modulator being better than the tape adapter. It' usually the other way around, the tape adapter being the better choice between those two. I suspect his cassette player head was out of alignment, or that player had some other problem.
FM Modulator has better frequency spectrum with interference (unbearable in city).

Tape adapter has a flatter frequency spectrum with no interference (superior option in most cases).

Some people are less picky and think tape sounds fine as long as it's clear. Others are more ****. I didn't even like satellite radio either because it sounds a bit flat.

Quick Reply: First Mod to be done....Tape Deck adaptor..I am a believer..