GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Need Smooth Riding All Season Tires for my AWD GS350.......

Old 02-11-10, 02:54 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Smooth Riding All Season Tires for my AWD GS350.......

My GS350 is a rough riding vehicle, even though I put on All Season Michellin's at the beginning.

I am probably going to need tires this year and was wondering what the recommendations are for the smoothest riding All Season Tires would be with decent treadwear?
Old 02-11-10, 03:31 PM
HomieG
Driver

Check out the Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX's. I've had a set for about 8 months now and absolutely love them, for the same reasons as you are looking for. Some will likely chime in about the Michelin Sport A/S's. They're about twice the cost of the Kumho's, but I am not sure if they are worth that differential, if price is a consideration. Personally, I've fallen out of love with Michelin tires over the last 10 years or so, finding better values from Bridgestone, Kumho and Toyo's.
Old 02-11-10, 04:54 PM
R.DUB
Driver

I had GREAT results from the Michelin Pilot AS tires I purchased from tirerack.com
They were great in the snow and dry.
Old 02-11-10, 05:13 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate the Michelin Pilot SPort AS on my wife's car.
I love the ExtremeContact DWS on my car. They are the most quiet tire I have ever had.
Next would be the Bridgestone 960AS, a simply wonderful running tire.
Old 02-11-10, 06:48 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I absolutely hate the Pilot Sport A/S on my car too. I got rid of it about 1 1/2 years ago and now have the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires in a thicker size (245/45/18) because they don't have it in 245/40/18 size. These primacy are so smooth, quiet and long lasting. I have put 20k plus miles on them and they still have 70% or more thread left. Another good smooth tire in the standard size would be the Continental Contiprocontacts that I had originally on the car. Make sure you get the V-rated and not H-rated of course.

I disliked the Bridgestone 960RE tire and got rid of them after 2 weeks into the trial period. They were so harsh, numb steering feel, flat spotting like hell in winter, and had some small vibration. I checked the tire pressure and tried 35, 33, 31 psi, etc and all of them didn't help.
Old 02-11-10, 07:50 PM
gkline
Driver School Candidate

I put a set of Bridgstone Turanzas on my '06 GS300, and I've been very happy with them so far.
Old 02-11-10, 10:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by R.DUB
I had GREAT results from the Michelin Pilot AS tires I purchased from tirerack.com
They were great in the snow and dry.
I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS plus on my dropped GS and they are amazing. Worth every cent. I have my car dropped to the max on Tein CST coilovers and have had no wear on the inside of the tire after 7k miles. I am amazed that they are available in the ultra low profile tires I have, the ride quality, and the durability. They are also much easier (in my experience) to get balanced on the first shot. Its Michelin for me from now on. Its just simply the bext tire I have had on any dropped car I have ever had.
Old 02-13-10, 06:35 AM
typeamit
Driver School Candidate

SO Conti DWS or Bridge Serenity? DWS is about $30 bones cheaper but is the Serenity worth the extra?
Old 02-13-10, 07:01 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I absolutely hate the Pilot Sport A/S on my car too. I got rid of it about 1 1/2 years ago and now have the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires in a thicker size (245/45/18) because they don't have it in 245/40/18 size. These primacy are so smooth, quiet and long lasting. I have put 20k plus miles on them and they still have 70% or more thread left. Another good smooth tire in the standard size would be the Continental Contiprocontacts that I had originally on the car. Make sure you get the V-rated and not H-rated of course.

I disliked the Bridgestone 960RE tire and got rid of them after 2 weeks into the trial period. They were so harsh, numb steering feel, flat spotting like hell in winter, and had some small vibration. I checked the tire pressure and tried 35, 33, 31 psi, etc and all of them didn't help.
This is the biggest problem. I'm really surprised that a car that is not aimed at the harder core sport sedan crowd has 40 series tires. They really should be 45 or 50 series to have more sidewall compliance.

I've read many posts and have seen several comments about people going to a 45 series and having some minor issues with rubbing the fenders at times. When mine need replacing I'll probably just go up one size to a 255/40 to pick up a little more sidewall, and will carefully study the tires.

I don't recall which magazine - Car & Driver or Road & Track I think did a comparison of tires that I think would be aimed at guys like us. They used the Michelin PS2 as a baseline tire.....here - just found a link to it. This test gives valuable information on handling, ride, noise etc....

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 02-13-10, 07:32 AM
R.DUB
Driver

I like the 40 series for handling and I stand behind my experience with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus for all-season high performance tires. They tracked very well in the snow and were not too noisy in the summer. I agree with comments from I8ABMR.

Also had good all-season experience with Pirelli PZeroNero's on my Acura and have gotten good performance from Yokohama tires

I worked for a tire manufacturer for 6 years and have designed a few tread patterns for street and off-road applications for the bicycle industry (our old co makes auto tires, too). Not that you care about my career, but I know tires & compounds fairly well and I'm very serious about my tire selections and I research like a fiend prior to purchasing.

Cut-throat- You are doing the right thing in asking here, doing your research. I would recommend paying close attn to the location of where reviewers live when they rate tires. Your in Minneapolis so a review with no cold temps (or snow) is not as valuable to your results will differ dramatically as the temp and conditions skew the reviews.

Check out the reviews on the sites where you will purchase tires, too. If you look at all of these reviews, you'll have a better picture of what to expect.

As stated before, I highly recommend tire rack. I've been purchasing tires and wheels from them before they had a web site and you had to order over the phone after seeing their ads in Car and Driver or Road and Track. Never been disappointed. Just saying.

Last edited by R.DUB; 02-13-10 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-13-10, 10:00 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HomieG
Check out the Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX's. I've had a set for about 8 months now and absolutely love them, for the same reasons as you are looking for. Some will likely chime in about the Michelin Sport A/S's. They're about twice the cost of the Kumho's, but I am not sure if they are worth that differential, if price is a consideration. Personally, I've fallen out of love with Michelin tires over the last 10 years or so, finding better values from Bridgestone, Kumho and Toyo's.
HomieG - Where are you located?
Old 02-13-10, 10:18 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Continental extremecontact dws or bridgestone serenity would be my advice.

And I echo others in saying buy from Tire Rack. I buy my tires from Tire Rack and ship direct to my Lexus dealer for installation.
Old 02-13-10, 10:20 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by batman75
Continental extremecontact dws or bridgestone serenity would be my advice.

And I echo others in saying buy from Tire Rack. I buy my tires from Tire Rack and ship direct to my Lexus dealer for installation.
Where are you located? --IOW how much snow and ice do you run into?
Old 02-13-10, 10:30 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I don't recall which magazine - Car & Driver or Road & Track I think did a comparison of tires that I think would be aimed at guys like us. They used the Michelin PS2 as a baseline tire.....here - just found a link to it. This test gives valuable information on handling, ride, noise etc....

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
I'm not that impressed with this test. They failed to include the only tire I consider better than the Michelin PS2: the Bridgestone RE-11. The RE-11 is the god of tires.

Last edited by *Batman*; 02-13-10 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-13-10, 11:58 AM
HomieG
Driver

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
HomieG - Where are you located?
Why does this matter? The requirements were all-season.

So if your point is that you're in Minneapolis, what's your question?

If you want better winter performance, don't ask about all-season tires! No all-season tire is going to give that much better snow/ice performance than a good winter/snow tire. There's a compromise in performance if one wants all-season tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Smooth Riding All Season Tires for my AWD GS350.......