GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dashboard Creaking.. Out of Warranty. NO Goodwill either. What should i do ? ANY HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 03:37 PM
RydinRuff
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard Creaking.. Out of Warranty. NO Goodwill either. What should i do ? ANY HELP

I purchased my 06 Gs300 a few months ago with 80k miles so it was clearly out of the factory warranty. I did however purchase the Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty.

I have been reading on here that several, and by several i mean almost everyone seems to have an issue with the dashboard making noises such as creaks or squeals or whatever. I have already attempted to see if the managers at my local dealership where the car gets serviced would honor that. They declined. I called Lexus. After reviewing my case for doing it as a goodwill gesture they declined as well.

Now i have this car and it is completely unbearable for me to drive it with all the noise it makes. I do NOT want to pay the 8 hours of labor to have the dealership fix it for me. I don't even want to pay close to that.

Is there any recommendations anyone has done to fix this problem. Even if its something small or something big I want to hear about it ! Also. If someone can recommend a good shop to do this for me, I am located in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-08-10, 03:53 PM
bs0dxi
Driver

what does the platinum extended warranty cover exactly? transmission only or something? perhaps you could go back to whoever that sold you the car and get them to pay for the fix.
Old 02-08-10, 04:17 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You can't buy an extension to any of the basic warranty items after the basic warranty is up. At least, I don't think you can. Otherwise, everybody would be buying them to fix existing issues.
Old 02-08-10, 06:03 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

put foam between the windshield and dash.

turn up the music.

or get rid of the car at a loss.
Old 02-08-10, 06:15 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I am with DJ ...you can search for DIY rattles thread and get some ideas to common rattles. I would not want my dash taken apart anyways
Old 02-08-10, 06:42 PM
RydinRuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by bs0dxi
what does the platinum extended warranty cover exactly? transmission only or something? perhaps you could go back to whoever that sold you the car and get them to pay for the fix.
well the warranty itself basically covers all drive-train, oxygen sensors, anything that doesn't have to do with regular maintenance like brake pads. The dashboard creaking they do NOT count as something that Extended warranty should cover. They only consider it goodwill gesture. Basically a favor. They refused so now I am screwed.
Old 02-08-10, 06:44 PM
DWNYC
Rookie

I had mine fixed at Lexus of Manhattan. They openned up the dash and fixed the issue. There is some other squeaks and rattles I can hear now that the dash squeaks are gone (e.g., driver's door) and a couple of other minor ones that doesn't really bother me and I haven't located yet.

I thought the platinum was bumper to bumper...I guess if Lexus corporate for involved, that must not be the case. This squeak issue must've been present when you purchased it. Did you buy from dealer?
Old 02-08-10, 10:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had my dash out 4 times before they got rid of the rattles. Now my console creaks on cornering. I am starting to just turn the music way up so I don't have to hear the creaks and little rattles
Old 02-08-10, 11:05 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Try putting a soft, thick, eraser between the windshield and the dashboard. If it works, put black electrical tape around it and push it as far in as it can go. Barely visible and requires no dashboard autopsy...kept me happy for about a month and a half before they fixed it at the dealership.
Old 02-09-10, 12:16 AM
RydinRuff
Rookie

as ridiculous as that sounds, putting a piece of eraser in between the dashboard of what basically is a $60k vehicle. I may just have to resort to this.

Unless off course I decide to pay for the 8 hours of labor that pretty much DOESN'T guarantee all the dashboard creaks to go away!

Originally Posted by ivanz
Try putting a soft, thick, eraser between the windshield and the dashboard. If it works, put black electrical tape around it and push it as far in as it can go. Barely visible and requires no dashboard autopsy...kept me happy for about a month and a half before they fixed it at the dealership.
Old 02-09-10, 12:17 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is pretty quiet. No rattles. 2006 GS430 too, so early model.

Dunno why so many people have this problem and why Lexus doesn't address it early on.

Well, I would recommend pinpointing the sounds figuring out how to open the dash and using this stuff called "Insulating Foam Sealant" by Dow - it's a liquid that fills in gaps and cracks and turns into a cushiony non-abrasive foam.
Old 02-09-10, 12:18 AM
RydinRuff
Rookie

the dash doesn't seem that simple to take out or apart. I may just have to resort to putting in an insulating piece of foam rather than a foam morphing liquid

Originally Posted by dadoody
My car is pretty quiet. No rattles. 2006 GS430 too, so early model.

Dunno why so many people have this problem and why Lexus doesn't address it early on.

Well, I would recommend pinpointing the sounds figuring out how to open the dash and using this stuff called "Insulating Foam Sealant" by Dow - it's a liquid that fills in gaps and cracks and turns into a cushiony non-abrasive foam.
Old 02-09-10, 12:58 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RydinRuff
the dash doesn't seem that simple to take out or apart. I may just have to resort to putting in an insulating piece of foam rather than a foam morphing liquid
You'll probably have to look it up.

Logically, we know it can be fixed. We just will have to do our own troubleshooting and care if we want the best outcome.

If it makes you feel any better, other luxury cars might go through the same issues:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=935954
Old 02-09-10, 06:05 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Search for my post about socks. Seemed to help a lot.

I plan on putting something a bit firmer in there between the windshield and the dash than socks eventually though.
Old 02-09-10, 09:43 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

I got mine repaired out of good will here in So cali. It doesn't make noise in the night time when its cold, but when I drive in hotter degree weather, the front and rear winshield make a loud creaking noise. Even with the radio up, I can still hear it. I'm thinking about like people said either use a eraser to hold the winshield up and the clips. Any other ideas or thoughts?

Quick Reply: Dashboard Creaking.. Out of Warranty. NO Goodwill either. What should i do ? ANY HELP