GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Ticking / Grinding noise on start up

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 11:30 PM
rjacket
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vladbph
Yep that sounds abnormal. I don't have that. I think it's excacerbated by the fact that the revs increase for a few moments after start up.

If your dealer has internet access, just play it back for him. Can't imagine them denying the problem if it doesn't reproduce live.
Old 06-11-10, 08:21 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

VLAD, yep this is what I hear as well. Only produced it if I dont drive the car for 2 days then start it up. Thanks for posting this.

Now that it was mentioned, I agree that it should be covered under the powertrain warranty which is 6 years 70,000mi.

Dropping the car off today....will report back.
Old 06-13-10, 05:05 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vladbph
Holy Crap, it sounded worst than mine... Mine only sounded like when pulling the mower, it turned but did not fire up.

For my second visit, the main caused was the faulty cam actuator.

Only good came out of this were new gaskets and new driving chain has been replaced twice after 30,000 miles (I thought you only replace the driving chain after 100,000 miles)...
Old 06-13-10, 06:22 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just took my car in this past week for this issue they couldn t reproduce it and i called corporate and talked to a rep for my area and she also told me that if they can t reproduce the noise the dealer won t fix it
Old 06-13-10, 06:29 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

The funny thing is that this happens when cars stays without driving for 1-2 days and Lexus knows about that, so asking to reproduce it is at least "not fair". So use the video and say it is yours if you cannot easily reproduce it.... I had to take it to show it in dealership.
Old 06-14-10, 11:45 AM
Lexus_Star
Driver School Candidate

Just dropped my car off at Bellevue (WA) Lexus. The SA took my car said he knows of the camgear problem and said they'll have it fixed by Tuesday afternoon. I got a 2010 RX as a loaner... its awesome. I'll let you know if they fixed it in a few days.
Old 06-14-10, 12:00 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus_Star
Just dropped my car off at Bellevue (WA) Lexus. The SA took my car said he knows of the camgear problem and said they'll have it fixed by Tuesday afternoon. I got a 2010 RX as a loaner... its awesome. I'll let you know if they fixed it in a few days.
LStar, what year is your car? Just got a call back and they said they couldnt reproduce it so they could not operate on it.

I asked that they keep the car and restart it on THRS morn.

Year of your car and TSB# would help.
Old 06-15-10, 05:39 PM
Lexus_Star
Driver School Candidate

So I dropped off my car Saturday morning and just picked it up this afternoon (Tuesday). Looking at the invoice, it appears they replaced the camshaft gear assembly and a bunch of camshaft gaskets. I don't hear the noise any more.

My car is a 2007 GS350. TSBEG020-07.

I don't know if its just me, but it feels like the car has more "pull" when i floor it; but on the flip side there seems to be a split second more "lag" before the car gets going. Not sure if its related to the new camshaft though.
Old 06-15-10, 06:04 PM
rjacket
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus_Star
So I dropped off my car Saturday morning and just picked it up this afternoon (Tuesday). Looking at the invoice, it appears they replaced the camshaft gear assembly and a bunch of camshaft gaskets. I don't hear the noise any more.

My car is a 2007 GS350. TSBEG020-07.

I don't know if its just me, but it feels like the car has more "pull" when i floor it; but on the flip side there seems to be a split second more "lag" before the car gets going. Not sure if its related to the new camshaft though.
There was a TSB for that too.

I'm just getting more and more amazed with the quality problems. Initially I thought that they were mainly rattles, trim, plastics, gas doors etc etc, but seems like more and more mechanical things. There were the fuel rails, the steering adjustment, this noise, carbon intakes.

What does everyone else think? Worried about longer term quality?
Old 06-15-10, 06:13 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacket
What does everyone else think? Worried about longer term quality?
Not really. Every car has tons of TSBs over it's lifespan. Most of these things aren't car exploding problems or even things that prevent you from getting around... it's quirky stuff, and annoying, but it's not like they are blowing gaskets, burning valves, bombing transmissions or anything and I recall some other folks reporting they're going on like 200K.
Old 06-15-10, 06:16 PM
rjacket
Driver

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Not really. Every car has tons of TSBs over it's lifespan. Most of these things aren't car exploding problems or even things that prevent you from getting around... it's quirky stuff, and annoying, but it's not like they are blowing gaskets, burning valves, bombing transmissions or anything and I recall some other folks reporting they're going on like 200K.
How about the carbon in the intakes? Every x miles you'll need that done outside of warranty. They should reissue the maintenance schedule with that on it.
Old 06-15-10, 06:48 PM
Lexus_Star
Driver School Candidate

With regards to the lag, seems like many of my past cars experienced similar behavior. 2003 BMW 325i, 1998 Accord coupe v6, are some of my past cars that had more "lag" than the GS. Overall I couldn't be happier with the quality and performance of my current car. I know the BMW when i owned it, had far more issues the the Lexus. I think its still a keeper.
Old 06-15-10, 07:29 PM
erik535353
Driver

My car has had the start knock going on since I bought the car with 10000 miles on it. Mine seems like the same noise, but it only happens when the engine was warm, and then restarted again within a 1-4 hour window afterwards. I don't get the totally cold start issue like most of you have.
Old 06-17-10, 08:39 AM
timtem
Pole Position

mine just started having this problem too and im out of warranty
Old 06-17-10, 09:01 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Mine wont reproduce at the dealership. Will see if the problem persists.

Quick Reply: Ticking / Grinding noise on start up