GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New Tires What a difference !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 05:46 PM
ejvette
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires What a difference !!!!

Its been 14 months and 13K miles on those horrible riding runflats. I truly did not realize how bad the ride was until i punctured 1 of the runflats which could not be repaired so i decided to replace all 4 tires with Bridgestone Serenity's. Its like a totally different car. The harshness and road noise produced by the runflats was staggering. I would highly recommend these serenitys to anyone replacing their tires.

Ed
Old 01-22-10, 06:08 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Never heard of them. Are they all seasons?
Old 01-22-10, 08:34 PM
niteflite
Driver

they're that much better, huh? well...i still probably have 70% left on my run flats... how do i put go from 70% to 15% as quickly as possible so i have a legitimate reason to replace them?
Old 01-22-10, 08:42 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it was said that run flat is the worst. So any replacement will be a big improvement.
Old 01-22-10, 09:13 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by niteflite
they're that much better, huh? well...i still probably have 70% left on my run flats... how do i put go from 70% to 15% as quickly as possible so i have a legitimate reason to replace them?
Burnouts and doughnuts? Just hope you want to kill your brake pads too.

I don't even know if you can do a burnout with AWD.

Better solution is to just replace them and sell the old tires on craigslist, somebody will want them at some cost.
Old 01-23-10, 08:18 PM
niteflite
Driver

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Burnouts and doughnuts? Just hope you want to kill your brake pads too.

I don't even know if you can do a burnout with AWD.

Better solution is to just replace them and sell the old tires on craigslist, somebody will want them at some cost.
i actually have given the craigslist thing some thought but fear not being able to sell them at a half decent price or sell them at all.

as for the brakes, i'm probably at 40% or so...so that's not as far away.
Old 01-23-10, 09:15 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to sell my original OEM Bridgestone EL42 tires on Craigslist. I did not get any calls. And the tires were mint with less than 1000 miles on them. Ended up just leaving them with the dealer when the installed the PilotSport2s.
Old 01-24-10, 07:07 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Serenitys are ok.

I think you were just used to the run flats for too long.

Protenzas are fine too.

My best deal for tires has been brand new Goodyear Eagle One Z-Rated fore $566 - all 4 tires.
Old 01-24-10, 08:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have to say I have had a similar experience with the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S I installed on my lowered GS. I cant believe how quiet they are and how well they handle rain. Remember these 4 patches are the only contact that the car will make with the road
Old 01-24-10, 08:24 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by batman75
I tried to sell my original OEM Bridgestone EL42 tires on Craigslist. I did not get any calls. And the tires were mint with less than 1000 miles on them. Ended up just leaving them with the dealer when the installed the PilotSport2s.
I think it's just a factor of where you are, honestly. If there is a major metro area, you may see more action than if you're out in the sticks. Might also be able to sell them to places that sell used tires.

I completely agree that runflats = teh suck. I was speaking with the salesman at a local dealer a while back and had to ensure that when it came time to buy a car I wouldn't be saddled with those horrific tires. I flat out told him - if I have to get runflats, I won't be buying the car. $800 for tires that are only good for 15K?? Someone is high as hell if they think I'd ever buy those. I cannot believe Lexus, a company that routinely gets chastised by the "professional" reviewers for having no road feel/isolated driving did this. I know it's been some time, but it's still irritating.

Big Mack
Old 01-24-10, 08:58 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I had some terible Dunlop tires on my Lexus. I have called Dunlop and they were willing to pay 50% value of tires toward new set. Dicount Tire let me pick different brand. I went with Michelins and I am very happy now.

My other car 09 BMW 335i came with Bridgestone runflats which normally don't last more than 10k. I have put couple thousand miles on them and I have swaped them for non-RFT. I have sold tires through BMW forum and it almost paid for replacement tires.
Old 01-24-10, 09:03 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Maybe I should have advertised my tires on this forum instead of on Craigslist. Miami is a major market but still I had no takers. Had them on there for a month before throwing in the towel and just ditching the tires so I could get my new ones.

I was a first time Lexus owner so I wasn't aware of the strong forum marketplace back then.
Old 01-25-10, 04:29 AM
dwiall
Driver

I went from the rediculous run flats to Bridgestone Turanza with Serinity and it was a world of difference. They still hit the concrete harder than I would like but I will live with them for now. I will be putting Goodyear tripletread on next time.

High performance run flats on a 4 door sedan, to each their own.
Old 01-25-10, 05:02 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are horrible miles.

I have AAA membership, so there's my flat tire fix.

I think the only reason I would buy Run Flats are if I will be working in nasty areas where I could get shot up if I break down in the wrong neighborhood.
Old 01-25-10, 05:50 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dadoody
Those are horrible miles.

I have AAA membership, so there's my flat tire fix.

I think the only reason I would buy Run Flats are if I will be working in nasty areas where I could get shot up if I break down in the wrong neighborhood.
They are safer in the event of a blow-out. That to me is the main reason to go with RFT.

Quick Reply: New Tires What a difference !!!!