GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

rain sensing wipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-10, 12:04 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rain sensing wipers

How do you adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensing wipers? I need them to switch on with less rain.
Old 01-17-10, 02:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
How do you adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensing wipers? I need them to switch on with less rain.
unfortunately i don't think the lexus sensors are that great. i am never happy about them. when they are in auto sensing, you can turn the wiper **** (down i think, to the + sign) to make it more sensitive. but still i don't think they are good. a lot of times when it's foggy outside, they turn on. but somehow when it's drizzling, nothing...
Old 01-17-10, 03:57 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Henry, looks like we'll have this week to play with the sensitivity if the sensor! Gonna rain all week! Sorry, off-topic.

But I feel the same. The rain sensor bloze!
Old 01-17-10, 04:46 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been pleased that the auto wipers have worked much better than I expected them to. Only time they've had challenges was during snow and then only once everything iced up around the edge of the windshield.
Old 01-17-10, 05:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Well Henry, looks like we'll have this week to play with the sensitivity if the sensor! Gonna rain all week! Sorry, off-topic.

But I feel the same. The rain sensor bloze!
no kidding, we will once again test how effective the sensors are

but from my experience, been pretty much triggering it on and off myself
Old 01-17-10, 05:37 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Turn the **** just like the intermittent wipers to change the sensitivity.

This is my third car with this feature and I hate it with a passion. The problem is that you no longer have an intermittent system that you have control over. In all three cars they want to wipe about three times as often as I want them to no matter how I set them. I would pay extra to NOT have them.
Old 01-17-10, 06:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by jjscsix

This is my third car with this feature and I hate it with a passion. The problem is that you no longer have an intermittent system that you have control over. In all three cars they want to wipe about three times as often as I want them to no matter how I set them. I would pay extra to NOT have them.
seriously, i miss the int setting so much

on the other hand though, my m3 auto sensing works a lot better
Old 01-17-10, 08:46 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix

It's interesting I have the opposite issue. In light rain it doesn't wipe often enough.
Old 01-18-10, 05:49 AM
JRandall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there is a setting to switch from automatic to intermittent. It would have to be done by the dealer. It's not in the Lexus Personalized Settings list.
Old 01-18-10, 08:57 AM
LexFather

Actually to adjust the sensitivity and not the interval you have to go to the "Drop down box" and there is a button you press that brings up a screen on the information display under the speedometer and it says something like "rain sensitivity".

I need to go to the car so I can be more specific.
Old 01-18-10, 09:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Actually to adjust the sensitivity and not the interval you have to go to the "Drop down box" and there is a button you press that brings up a screen on the information display under the speedometer and it says something like "rain sensitivity".

really? oh man i am just about to leave for work (and it's raining this whole week)

i got some testing to do!!!
Old 01-18-10, 09:09 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

rominl, try the spread on Rain-X or spread on the windshield stuff. They works great in the rain, best when U go above 50mph.
Old 01-18-10, 09:45 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Wow! Really? That's awesome. I need to check that out! Thanks!
Old 01-18-10, 10:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Wow! Really? That's awesome. I need to check that out! Thanks!
ok, i looked at the panel. the only button i think is "likely" is the "mode" button

i pressed on it and on the dash it says "cluster glass mode", and i can go from auto-norm to lo to hi, and then manual 1 2 3 4

well i am at work now so i don't have manual, maybe some of you can help check what they stand for and if they refer to the wiper sensors (i surely don't recall reading this part, guess i am old, haha...)

i tried between norm, lo, and hi for auto, honestly didn't feel much difference (it's raining today)... when funny part is when i flipped to manual 1 2 3 4, the wipers seemed to continue to work in auto mode (wiping at different speed depending on rain), unless i was seeing something

more testing?
Old 01-18-10, 12:21 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
It's interesting I have the opposite issue. In light rain it doesn't wipe often enough.
I don't have enough experience with mine yet, but in the Cadillac CTS I had, it sometimes didn't wipe enough either, and other times it wiped too much. I'm really getting annoyed with engineers thinking they know more about how we should set things in cars than we do.

Quick Reply: rain sensing wipers