GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

You have Got to Be Kidding (Braking and Acceleration)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-10, 04:21 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Compass
There may be a way to circumvent the issue (theoretical worm holes and such), but otherwise, yes, it is impossible to travel faster than light speed in our universe. It has nothing to with arrogance; the limit is part of the fundamental way our universe works. Einstein theorized and subsequent experiments backed him up.

[/pedantic mode off]
Hey, this guy is a genius.... --- He'll go out to his garage and come back with a solution for this by tomorrow!
Old 01-13-10, 04:22 PM
Compass
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dwiall
They say that it is impossible to break the speed of light. Just because WE don't know how doesn't mean it can't be done Only the arrogant and naive would consider themself an expert, the others consider themselves students.
There may be a way to circumvent the issue (theoretical worm holes and such), but otherwise, yes, it is impossible to travel faster than light speed in our universe. It has nothing to do with arrogance; the limit is part of the fundamental way our universe works. Einstein theorized and subsequent experiments backed him up.

[/pedantic mode off]
Old 01-13-10, 06:20 PM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vladbph
At 2mph no car would engage any sophisticated systems to stop. Its your tires.
none of my other cars have snow tires and they dont suck half as bad as the gs in the snow. im running the same tires on my gs350 and 335i and the 3 does a lot better in snow. I know that snow tires make a world of a difference but my opinion still isnt changing.
Old 01-13-10, 07:31 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalan
none of my other cars have snow tires and they dont suck half as bad as the gs in the snow. im running the same tires on my gs350 and 335i and the 3 does a lot better in snow. I know that snow tires make a world of a difference but my opinion still isnt changing.
Apart from traction control systems, which aren't capable of doing a whole lot when all tires have lost traction (in rwd, that number needs to only be two) in ice/snow, all cars have four wheels and really the only bearing is the tires. Not all all-season tires are created equally for snow purposes. Also narrower tires will be more stable in the snow. Bottom line is that especially for fwd/rwd cars, it all boils down to tire size and type.

Also braking in ice/snow isn't really affected by anything other than the tires. AWD doesn't help, all four wheels have brakes even if you have only two drive wheels. AWD basically will help you keep traction in some situations and makes you far less prone to getting "stuck".

This is my first AWD car, and I think I'll be looking for AWD options from here on out so long as I live in a snow belt anyway.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 01-13-10 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-13-10, 11:43 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loving my AWD
Old 01-18-10, 05:02 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

For the first time I can remember since owning the car, I have NO braking when the ground's wet. Going @ very low speeds, I hit the brake...and NOTHING. I slid right into traffic last week. Went to turn into our driveway on the same day, and slid right past it. There was less than an inch of snow on the ground. I guess it's the tires. Treads look pretty low. They have abt 28k miles on them. Which is the reason I'm stoping by the forum today. Which new tires? I have Michelin Energy on now. I'm told to go with Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Recommendations, please.
Old 01-19-10, 12:15 AM
dwiall
Driver

I have Bridgestone Serinity on mine and I really don't recomend them. My next tires will be Goodyear Tripletread. The Bridgestones are **** in the snow. They take off only ok but they do not stop worth a **** in the snow. The Tripletread I have on the Solara are very good all around. I wish someone could tell me how trippletread are for noise on the GS. Anybody have Tripletread on thier GS. Friend just got an 2010 LS 460 and it has Bridgestone Turanza's on it, not sure if they are with Serinity though. I think the concensous is Michelin MVX4 primacy. I might look at those next time.
Old 01-19-10, 06:32 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Thanks for your reply dwiall. I'll research the Goodyears.