GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

SUPER EPIC FAIL, for CPO Lexus..what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 01:59 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.californialemonlawattorneys.com/

Call this firm and see if you have a case if the dealer doesn't help you. My wife and I are currently working with them regarding our Benz.
Old 01-15-10, 02:16 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

hey guys, just an update and the end. Well, I ended up returning the car back. They bought the car back at how much I paid for it which was $28k + the tax, so roughly $29.5k, and got me in a 07 350 for $31k.

I loss, my $1k down + First monthly payment, Tax and license (on new car), which was roughly about $4k.

honestly, not bad considering the 07 GS350 has Brand new Tires and Brand new Front and rear Brakes/Rotors, and there hooking me up with a 60k service.

All In all. Im, extremly happy on how they handled it.

Here pics of the new car, ill take more later !

Old 01-15-10, 02:19 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yay congrats!

soon.. new rims
Old 01-15-10, 02:27 PM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

ooo, whelkev, your such the devil you are hahaha
Old 01-15-10, 02:38 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What a hassle you have had. I'm glad to hear the dealership took the car back without much trouble. Nice to see you bumped up to a 350 now! Good looking car.
Old 01-15-10, 03:24 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad it worked out for you. I completely forgot about this story and was wondering what happened. I'm sure you're much happier with the power and 'newness' of the 07 over the 06.
Old 01-19-10, 12:52 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsChris
I loss, my $1k down + First monthly payment, Tax and license (on new car), which was roughly about $4k.

So you lost your $1k down + First monthly payment, Tax and license (on new car), which was roughly about $4k, which total to about $5500 and you are happy about it ?????
Old 01-19-10, 01:53 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
So you lost your $1k down + First monthly payment, Tax and license (on new car), which was roughly about $4k, which total to about $5500 and you are happy about it ?????
I would not be happy about that. The one month payment is fine since you drove the car for a month, but the tax, license and deposit should have been refunded and applied towards the new car.
Old 01-19-10, 02:10 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by batman75
I would not be happy about that. The one month payment is fine since you drove the car for a month, but the tax, license and deposit should have been refunded and applied towards the new car.
If the OP isn't pressing it further, could the OP do everyone else a favor and post this story on Yelp and report it to the BBB.org?

A buyer goes to a Lexus or any mid-range luxury sedan car dealership and buys a CPO thinking that they're being a used car in the best possible shape as checked out and guaranteed on the honor and name of the car company (Lexus) in this case.

But this deal is sour. Lexus mechanics saw the bumper and knew. They sold it to you with a big CPO markup.

They have besmirched their honor and the name of Lexus and have made you WASTE $4k to $5k on a car that they KNEW was not up to snuff to being sold as a CPO.

Check out this site and see Scam #10: http://www.ucan.org/gasoline_autos/a..._10_auto_scams

Scam 10. "Certified" Used Vehicles

Several manufacturers and some dealerships have "certified" used vehicle programs. Generally, a used vehicle that passes certain standards is labeled "certified used" and is suppose to guarantee to the customer that the used vehicle is in good working order and free from major structural damage (including prior accidents.) However, a lot of vehicles that don't actually qualify as "certified" under the standards advertised are being labeled certified. Customers are ending up with certified vehicles with frame damage from prior accidents.

Me, personally, I'm a young hot head and I would raise all sorts of hell if I had wasted 4k on this deal. Unless you're a trust fund baby or got a cart stuffed with government bail out cash, I don't see why the OP wouldn't be more livid about this.

$4k - that could have been spent on:

1.) PS3 with a shelf full of the latest games
2.) 4,000 cheap pens, or 400 gold plated Monte Blancs, or 4 24k gold monte blancs with diamonds encrust on them
3.) 3 gold coins and a pile of silver coins
4.) 80 oil changes
5.) A new set of high end wheels
6.) Vegas
7.) A cruise up the Rhine River + spending cash
8.) A cruise around South America + spending cash
9.) A vacation to Costa Rica staying in 5-star hotels and guided tours
10.) A vacation to a Thai beach
11.) Like.....30-40 dinners @ a fine steakhouse with good wine. I'm talking Ruth's Chris Filet Mignon and Prawns with a glass of Silver Oak Cab
12.) 1 really big wedding gift, 2 still pretty good wedding gifts, or 8 wedding gifts where you're still on the good gift giver list.
13.) A garage full of tools
14.) 1 full semester of college @ a UC (ha!)
15.) Tissue paper @ USC
16.) 1-2 years worth of Gasoline (depends on how you drive)

etc.

Last edited by dadoody; 01-19-10 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 02:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by cmasten
I just ran into a similar issue with my GS300 from Crown in Ontario.

I bought it 5 months ago, it seemed clean, and was CPO, but when it started to rain hard here 2 weeks back there was a small drip inside the trunk.. I took it to a mechanic and he took the trunk lining out to show me that it had been rear ended and they spot welded the quarter panel, not seamed it like they did at the factory.. he said there is your leak... I was so pissed I could not see straight.. my understanding was that Lexus could not sell a CPO that had been damaged... not true, as I dove into the details, they can, if its not reported on CarFax.. which is a total joke btw... the previous owner obviously had just not reported it and paid to have it fixed and traded it in. Crown bought it from an auction and it was obviously overlooked and resold as CPO.

When I called them, they were very accommodating, met me at the dealership the same day and went over the car.. yup.. they had missed it, and they asked what I needed to make it right.. excellent service! I said take it back and apply the money towards an LS, I dont want a GS anymore. They offered me an excellent deal on an LS 460 (CPO) and I paid the difference, they provided me with the next major service, a full detail and I just asked to have my glove box fixed, as it rattles, they said that is not really covered under CPO, as its trim, but sense there is a TSB for it, they would be happy to replace it on them.

I cant complain, Crown treated me with respect and said yes to everything I asked for, they were very professional all the way through. In my situation it allowed me to step up into an LS460 but I wanted to share some of my experience with you all. Some of the folks here are right, dont trust CarFax, I wont any more, and the dealer has a lot to do with your Lexus experience. I would get another CPO in a heartbeat from Crown, they stand behind their vehicles, at least that has been my experience, I hope you get yours resolved as well.

CMasten
Great story

hey guys, i'm not getting the car fixed at all. I was in a parking structure and some person did a slight dent on the rear quarter panel and the bumper. That' why it's in the body shop right now being fixed.

My insurance company, clearly stated when they say the previous damage and rust that, it was not there from me. So pretty much got the lexus dealership right there from the insurance.

But when I bought the car, like I said, the rear bumper didnt align at the driver side rear quarter panel, and thats where the person hit me in the parking lot.

So, I guess it was a good thing, that the guy hit me in the parking lot or else I wouldnt have found out about the previous damage.
Everything happens for a reason

hey guys, just an update and the end. Well, I ended up returning the car back. They bought the car back at how much I paid for it which was $28k + the tax, so roughly $29.5k, and got me in a 07 350 for $31k.

honestly, not bad considering the 07 GS350 has Brand new Tires and Brand new Front and rear Brakes/Rotors, and there hooking me up with a 60k service.

Here pics of the new car, ill take more later !

Congrats. Interesting story
Old 01-19-10, 03:38 PM
HomieG
Driver

Would someone tell me how that OP pic of the damage is considered frame damage?
Old 01-19-10, 05:42 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HomieG
Would someone tell me how that OP pic of the damage is considered frame damage?
You must sell used cars.

If this doesn't bother you, and you want to argue semantics, that's fine - for you.

Most people who are dishing out that extra few grand for a "certified" used car is expecting the car to be in as close to the best shape a car can come in.

The guy's bumper wasn't even mounting on straight. Who knows what else was there.

Fortunately, I don't fall for cheap words like "certified" and I trust the Lexus dealerships with used cars about as much as I trust a 3rd party used car lot.

Actually, I bought my car from a 3rd party lot that buys from the same auctions that the Lexus and Toyota dealers buy and sell their used inventory with. I paid thousands less for a car with low miles. Got the car for 30k back when the cheapest Lexus would do was 35k for a car with over 50k miles.

I haven't had one major issue with my car - not even these mystery rattles that a lot of people seem to have. No previous damage of any sort other than a few minor scratches.

The only odd thing I found was that the previous owner left their home address in the Nav. I called them up and thanked them for taking good care of the car, which actually freaked them out. I'm such a creeper.
Old 01-19-10, 05:54 PM
HomieG
Driver

Originally Posted by dadoody
You must sell used cars.
No, I don't, and how does that statement bring any value to the this thread? Hint, it doesn't. I asked a valid question. Does anyone know the answer?

If this doesn't bother you, and you want to argue semantics, that's fine - for you.
You can call it what you want, semantics, fine. But show me where there is frame damage as was stated, which is a fact.

Most people who are dishing out that extra few grand for a "certified" used car is expecting the car to be in as close to the best shape a car can come in.
I agree, and Lexus has a checklist for that. True, they should have fixed the car to Lexus standards, and didn't.

The guy's bumper wasn't even mounting on straight. Who knows what else was there.
He could have had it independently inspected. But you're right, who knows, maybe even no frame damage.

Fortunately, I don't fall for cheap words like "certified" and I trust the Lexus dealerships with used cars about as much as I trust a 3rd party used car lot.
Agreed.

Actually, I bought my car from a 3rd party lot that buys from the same auctions that the Lexus and Toyota dealers buy and sell their used inventory with. I paid thousands less for a car with low miles. Got the car for 30k back when the cheapest Lexus would do was 35k for a car with over 50k miles.
Good for you. I did something quite similar, and for one that had less than 40Kmiles, for less than $30K. Woo-hoo!

I haven't had one major issue with my car - not even these mystery rattles that a lot of people seem to have. No previous damage of any sort other than a few minor scratches.
Again, good for you. Same here.

The only odd thing I found was that the previous owner left their home address in the Nav. I called them up and thanked them for taking good care of the car, which actually freaked them out. I'm such a creeper.
Funny!
Old 01-19-10, 06:03 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

congrats on the new ride! personally losing that first month's payment isnt a big deal, but the tax, licensing, and other applicable fees shouldve been returned. thats upwards of 5k lost. IMO 5k is worth more than finding a fast resolution to your first CPO experience. but all in all, a very interesting story, one that lexus should realize that CPO should mean CPO so as to not tarnish their name. hope you're enjoying your gs!
Old 01-19-10, 06:04 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

No, I don't, and how does that statement bring any value to the this thread? Hint, it doesn't. I asked a valid question. Does anyone know the answer?
Give me a hug.

You can call it what you want, semantics, fine. But show me where there is frame damage as was stated, which is a fact.
See that metally part that's dented in? That's body damage. It was hidden. Like Lexus would have sold it as a CPO if the bumper that took the damage was still on it. If it were me, I'd have raised hell. Furious furious hell.

Also, here's how damage there can translate into frame damage: http://framefacts.com/LearnMore.aspx

I agree, and Lexus has a checklist for that. True, they should have fixed the car to Lexus standards, and didn't.
Yeah, they failed. They should have remedied this without costing this guy 4k though. He's spent $4,000 extra dollars that he shouldn't have on BS. 4k!! He coulda had more satisfaction if that $$$ had blown away in the wind and landed on the table of a poor Ethiopian family that could eat for a year now.

Yeah. Woooosh!!!

Quick Reply: SUPER EPIC FAIL, for CPO Lexus..what do I do?