GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Navigation on Non-Navigation GS

Old 11-29-09, 09:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by -the.k.w.c
so the iphone must be jail broken for this to work right?
yup, and seems like some applications installed, basically to allow feed out of video / audio
Old 11-30-09, 05:47 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

sweet. im so doing this. i actually just jailbroke my iphone about a week ago. i love how you can pretty much use your iphone as a carputer and have everything show up on the navi screen. would be great for all the youtube videos i downloaded.

ps if anyone wants to do this and needs their iphone jailbroken, feel free to pm me. it works fine on the several 3Gs that i have done but not so well on my buddies 3GS.
Old 11-30-09, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
sweet. im so doing this. i actually just jailbroke my iphone about a week ago. i love how you can pretty much use your iphone as a carputer and have everything show up on the navi screen. would be great for all the youtube videos i downloaded.

ps if anyone wants to do this and needs their iphone jailbroken, feel free to pm me. it works fine on the several 3Gs that i have done but not so well on my buddies 3GS.
3gs with 3.1 is harder and need different method (just came out not long ago) to jailbreak. that's an OT topic of course
Old 11-30-09, 04:37 PM
timtem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whoa this is awesome for people with non-navigations!
Old 11-30-09, 09:39 PM
antisbroke
Driver School Candidate

what if i have an samsung instinct?what can i use then? i once saw a non navi gs install a pioneer cd/dvd single din under the screen removing the oem cd part. is this possible just using the monitor but hooking up a new cd/dvd player ?or even an rca output to hook up xbox360 or ps3?
Old 12-01-09, 01:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

vaistech has ipod integration, but with the instinct, i am not sure if there is any easy way to connect. you can hook up a dvd player to the car, vaistech has unit that gives you a rca connection, so you can do dvd players, xbox, or ps3. you can ask vaistech or prestigious for more info. i installed one unit on my friend's car, pretty neat setup
Old 01-14-10, 10:19 AM
xmike714x
Pole Position

wowowers...gonna try this when i get my VAIS kit
Old 01-14-10, 11:16 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

I'm all late to the party but damn that's awesome!
Old 01-25-10, 09:22 AM
jonnyxboi
Pole Position

Did you turn off your phone's autolock feature?
Old 01-25-10, 10:57 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonnyxboi
Did you turn off your phone's autolock feature?
Most navigation apps disable autolock/sleep within the app automatically.
Old 08-09-10, 07:34 AM
gs3002006
Driver School Candidate

Okay, I'm looking at buying the Vais unit to try this, but I'm unclear on a few details;
- what does "You just need to add video out capabilities to your iPhone " mean? Do I just purchase Screen Split or Tv-Out app?
- you say "Nav Hack required" Does that just mean cutting a wire? If so, which one- is it the same as the one on the Nav units??
- is there a posting on how to get the head unit out??
Old 08-09-10, 08:19 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gs3002006
Okay, I'm looking at buying the Vais unit to try this, but I'm unclear on a few details;
- what does "You just need to add video out capabilities to your iPhone " mean? Do I just purchase Screen Split or Tv-Out app?
- you say "Nav Hack required" Does that just mean cutting a wire? If so, which one- is it the same as the one on the Nav units??
- is there a posting on how to get the head unit out??
Adding video out capability to your phone means jailbreaking it and adding a video out app. If you search for navigation on non-navigation GS you should find more details.

I would wait - there is a new iPhone Vais unit coming out soon. Like in about a month.

Regarding the nav-hack or motion override - see the FAQ and DIY sticky thread on the 3GS forum page. Same on getting head-unit out. The FAQ and DIY thread has everything you need to know.
Old 08-09-10, 10:17 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
Adding video out capability to your phone means jailbreaking it and adding a video out app. If you search for navigation on non-navigation GS you should find more details.

I would wait - there is a new iPhone Vais unit coming out soon. Like in about a month.

Regarding the nav-hack or motion override - see the FAQ and DIY sticky thread on the 3GS forum page. Same on getting head-unit out. The FAQ and DIY thread has everything you need to know.
Yep, I'm not an iPod lover myself, but this is very tempting for a few reasons... to replace the ugly audio interface on my 06 and to eventually(?) use iPod/iPhone GPS apps... though I don't think iPods have GPS (yet) and there is no way I'm buying an iPhone for that as the total cost of getting it all up and running would be totally insane since I have no desire to replace my android phone with an iphone.

The only thing I'm not clear about is how you would go about activating the video out on this vais unit, since I don't have DVD on my car.
Old 08-09-10, 12:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Yep, I'm not an iPod lover myself, but this is very tempting for a few reasons... to replace the ugly audio interface on my 06 and to eventually(?) use iPod/iPhone GPS apps... though I don't think iPods have GPS (yet) and there is no way I'm buying an iPhone for that as the total cost of getting it all up and running would be totally insane since I have no desire to replace my android phone with an iphone.

The only thing I'm not clear about is how you would go about activating the video out on this vais unit, since I don't have DVD on my car.
you don't need dvd to have video. you already have a screen, and there's video input to the screen at the back of navigation already. the vaistech unit will be able to emulate and generate a video mode to feed video in.

on the other hand, for example my car, i have ml and thus i have dvd video. but if i use sl2vi-p4, it does not "replace" my current video mode, it will create another mode for ipod video
Old 08-09-10, 04:52 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

something I like to look into. Very interesting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation on Non-Navigation GS