GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Navigation on Non-Navigation GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-09, 01:20 PM
SRGS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have a step by step to get this to work on my non navi gs300????
Old 11-26-09, 03:40 PM
[0350]
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice nice man, an excellent solution for non navi! Good Work!
Old 11-26-09, 04:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mysteryan
Looks like most of you guys answered each other questions. Yes, this works on iPhone 3G and 3GS. Wish I had a 3GS, but using this on 3G.

Batman: In terms of switching orientation. Once you set it on landscape, it takes a lot of tolerance for it to switch orientation. Example. Once you set it on landscape, you can lay it flat, let it fly around. It just can't exceed 50 degrees to towards an opposing orientation and stay that way. Like you have it on landscape. You can only lift up the top of the phone to 50 degrees until it switches to portrait. More than likely it'll work since it's just sliding in the center console. If you're offroading and your phone is flying around like in a popcorn machine, that's different. Like rominl said, nav hack required.

rominl: Unfortunately, Apple is strict with their hardware. They only allow video out their in YouTube and iPod Video apps. Your phone has to be jailbroken. There's two apps that I know of that will enable video out on virtually all applications on the iPhone. They're called "ScreenSplitr", and "TV-Out" available on Cydia. I'm using TV-Out personally.
great info. that's ok, my iphone is jailbroken and unlocked so i will definitely look up those appz that can basically open up any kind of video to the screen.

one more question, it doesn't only feed video but also feed the sound through the stock system, is that correct? so when you are using the nav and it gives you direction, the sound is through the car speakers?

this really makes me look into sl2vi-p4 now

Originally Posted by SRGS300
do you have a step by step to get this to work on my non navi gs300????
get vaistech sl2vi for your car. if you want to use it when driving, you will need to either do nav wire hack or get override module

get an iphone 3g or 3gs, jailbreak and unlock it, get the appz, plug it in

set the system to ipod mode (through vaistech) and plug in the iphone, you are good to go
Old 11-26-09, 04:54 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

This is cool! That means that you can use an iPhone to play videos, so you dont have to burn any DVD's. Hmmm and if it feeds the sound as well then I'd be more than interested in getting that vais unit installed.
Old 11-26-09, 05:51 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
one more question, it doesn't only feed video but also feed the sound through the stock system, is that correct? so when you are using the nav and it gives you direction, the sound is through the car speakers?
It feeds both audio and video through the car speakers and display. Like I said before, your music dims or mutes automatically when it announces a turn or other guidance and resumes afterwards. This eliminates the problem of your music drowning the TTS guidance. Some nav apps have ipod control built in. If not, you use the standard Lexus on screen display controls or steering wheel controls. It still think you're playing a DVD so when you tap the screen, you can press play, fwd, rwd, etc. These functions control your ipod as well.
Old 11-26-09, 06:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
This is cool! That means that you can use an iPhone to play videos, so you dont have to burn any DVD's. Hmmm and if it feeds the sound as well then I'd be more than interested in getting that vais unit installed.
the vaistech unit has been around for a long time, its idea has always been about feeding movies from ipod/iphone to the nav screen. you can always inquire prestigious about vaistech and also override if you need some.

mysteryan, sweet, that's what i thought. that's totally awesome! thank you so much for this, i had no idea with jailbreak you can feed video through the usb. this is great!
Old 11-26-09, 10:20 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Henry...don't you have Navi already?!?! Or, are you like me and hate the Lexus Navi? Or, some other idea?

This is indeed a great find. Thanks again for sharing!
Old 11-26-09, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Henry...don't you have Navi already?!?! Or, are you like me and hate the Lexus Navi? Or, some other idea?

This is indeed a great find. Thanks again for sharing!
haha i am fine with the lexus nav, fits my needs i always thought about doing the sl2vi, but it's expensive coz' i need p4, and just to play movies that seems kind of expensive. but with this i can pretty much do anything, my passenger can play games and it can pretty much display everything on screen, that's not a bad idea

and hey, i was thinking, with this potential, maybe you can do the radio streaming too?
Old 11-27-09, 01:29 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

haha i am fine with the lexus nav, fits my needs i always thought about doing the sl2vi, but it's expensive coz' i need p4, and just to play movies that seems kind of expensive. but with this i can pretty much do anything, my passenger can play games and it can pretty much display everything on screen, that's not a bad idea

and hey, i was thinking, with this potential, maybe you can do the radio streaming too?
You can already do radio streaming no? Since you already have an SLi, you receive the radio stream from the iPhone. Audio is the only thing required. Just stop the iPod app and use your radio streaming app. Audio should still be fed through. If you're thinking about streaming Sirius, unfortunately, you still need a subscription for internet streaming.
Old 11-27-09, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mysteryan
You can already do radio streaming no? Since you already have an SLi, you receive the radio stream from the iPhone. Audio is the only thing required. Just stop the iPod app and use your radio streaming app. Audio should still be fed through. If you're thinking about streaming Sirius, unfortunately, you still need a subscription for internet streaming.
with the sl2i it's a bit different, coz' it only has mp3 modes and it automatically access the song folders in the iphone and play / control from there. there is no way to disable that and control through iphone

i believe the sl2vi is the same, you have 2 modes, one is the mp3 mode and it access the song folders, and then it's the video mode where it releases the controls on iphone so you can select and play from iphone. i would think only in that mode you can select radio streaming appz from the phone and do the playback?
Old 11-27-09, 09:16 AM
TWong350

Great....now you got me thinking!
Old 11-27-09, 01:38 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

with the sl2i it's a bit different, coz' it only has mp3 modes and it automatically access the song folders in the iphone and play / control from there. there is no way to disable that and control through iphone
You can always enter simple mode by pressing scan button 8 times within 1-2 seconds (It's in the manual). That'll probably free up the controls.
Old 11-28-09, 08:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thats the coolest thing I have seen on this forum in a while. Thats pretty cool. This forum never ceases to amaze me with the info you can get
Old 11-29-09, 05:21 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thx for sharing mysteryan!
Old 11-29-09, 04:19 PM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

so the iphone must be jail broken for this to work right?

Quick Reply: Navigation on Non-Navigation GS